Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here 09:02 - Jan 19 with 2146 viewsitfcjoe

Good article - https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/23257213.ipswich-town-record-signings-biggest-trans

But shows how little value we've had on players we've paid big fees for

Think only the following have even made 100 appearances for the club

2 - Hermann (Left for knock down fee but a good signing)
6 - Leadbitter (Left for free)
7 - Norris (left for free)
9 - Jackson
9= - Lee Martin (left for free)
16 - Carlos Edwards (left for free)
19 - Gareth McAuley (left for free)

Plus Marcus Stewart (5) who was obviously a great signing, and Chris Makin (14=) who did well enough

There is Nathan Broadhead and Leif Davis in there too.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:09 - Jan 19 with 2081 viewshype313

Thought Ian Marshall would have been in here as at the time it seemed a huge fee, but just checked and it was a mere £750k, a snip really.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:22 - Jan 19 with 2017 viewsKeno

Lordy there is some dross on that list

Tomas Priskin 1.7 million

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:23 - Jan 19 with 2014 viewsmylittletown

To be fair, they were all very good, good, or decent enough signings, with the obvious exception of Lee Martin, who was a good athlete, but not a footballer.
Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:23 - Jan 19 with 2010 viewshype313

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:22 - Jan 19 by Keno

Paul Taylor, awful signing, at least Tamas gave us that fun night against the Gooners.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:32 - Jan 19 with 1968 viewsBlueBadger

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:22 - Jan 19 by Keno

Priskin was a rich man's Piggot wasn't he? I've still got no idea what it was he supposed to bring to the side. No particular amount of pace, didn't hold the ball up, didn't score goals and surprisingly sh1t in the air for tall lad.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:40 - Jan 19 with 1941 viewsLinners

Pretty miserable list on the whole. So many underperformed and never fulfilled their potential - and we overpaid hugely for a few of those. Hopefully those days have passed...
Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:48 - Jan 19 with 1910 viewsblueasfook

JET ha ha! What a rubbish signing he was. Promised much, gave us nothing really. McAuley was a great signing. Class defender.

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:52 - Jan 19 with 1877 viewsTrumptonBlue

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:23 - Jan 19 by mylittletown

To be fair, they were all very good, good, or decent enough signings, with the obvious exception of Lee Martin, who was a good athlete, but not a footballer.

I was looking back at some seasons past the other day, and I was surprised how much Martin played for us. When not injured or suspended, he started pretty much every game from January 2012 through to March 2013. He was very much part of McCarthy's team that turned round the 2012/13 season (and part of the team that got into the mess in the first place, of course).

I had also forgotten that he was offered a new deal at the end of 2012/13 - albeit on reduced terms - so Mick certainly wasn't desperate to get rid.

None of which means he wasn't rubbish, of course.
Login to get fewer ads

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:54 - Jan 19 with 1836 viewscbower

Not Broadhead or Davis obviously, but no money made on any of those signings. Either sold at a big loss (post adminstration mainly) or left on a free. Some really big flops and some terrible club management of contracts over an extended period.

bluescouser

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:58 - Jan 19 with 1802 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Gaardsoe was class, how much did he go to WBA for?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 10:04 - Jan 19 with 1789 viewsclive_baker

If you adjust for inflation then those 2000/2001 signings were way more expensive, but then again we were in the Premier League and not the 3rd tier.

I had no idea we paid that much for Le Pen, I had always assumed he was some cheap punt.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 10:06 - Jan 19 with 1761 viewsGlasgowBlue

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:32 - Jan 19 by BlueBadger

Priskin was a rich man's Piggot wasn't he? I've still got no idea what it was he supposed to bring to the side. No particular amount of pace, didn't hold the ball up, didn't score goals and surprisingly sh1t in the air for tall lad.

He was a very good player who was ruined by Keane and then Jewell.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 10:07 - Jan 19 with 1750 viewsitfcjoe

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:52 - Jan 19 by TrumptonBlue

I was looking back at some seasons past the other day, and I was surprised how much Martin played for us. When not injured or suspended, he started pretty much every game from January 2012 through to March 2013. He was very much part of McCarthy's team that turned round the 2012/13 season (and part of the team that got into the mess in the first place, of course).

I had also forgotten that he was offered a new deal at the end of 2012/13 - albeit on reduced terms - so Mick certainly wasn't desperate to get rid.

None of which means he wasn't rubbish, of course.

I think Martin is the one who is most harshly treated out of the supposed flops, he did fine for us and was key in Jewell turning round the relegation season.

He didn't do what was hoped of him, but he at least, once Keane left was fit, available and contributing each week for the length of his contract

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 10:15 - Jan 19 with 1697 viewsBlueBadger

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 10:06 - Jan 19 by GlasgowBlue

Nah, he was a 'Kevin Lisbie', signed on the back of one half-decent season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 10:22 - Jan 19 with 1601 viewschicoazul

The only time we are ever successful is when we have a team full of youths players cast offs weirdos and the odd relatively big signing. Spending lots of money has never ever worked for our club.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 10:24 - Jan 19 with 1585 viewschicoazul

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 09:48 - Jan 19 by blueasfook

JET ha ha! What a rubbish signing he was. Promised much, gave us nothing really. McAuley was a great signing. Class defender.

Think McAuley was the last really good player we signed.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 10:39 - Jan 19 with 1523 viewshatch

Was playing golf in a two ball ahead of Lee Martin a couple of years ago down in Surrey and so chatted to him waiting on a tee box and said ‘you’re Lee Martin aren’t you? I’m an Ipswich fan’ and he replied ‘ahh I’m sorry’. Basically apologised for being a flop.
Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 12:25 - Jan 19 with 1359 viewshomer_123

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 10:24 - Jan 19 by chicoazul

Think McAuley was the last really good player we signed.

Cresswell or Mings?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 12:26 - Jan 19 with 1347 viewsKeno

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 12:25 - Jan 19 by homer_123

Cresswell or Mings?

or Morsy and Chappers

Poll: Where will be finish next season
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 12:27 - Jan 19 with 1335 viewshomer_123

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 10:06 - Jan 19 by GlasgowBlue

Oh I really wanted Priskin to work but he was a poor mans Pablo.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 12:30 - Jan 19 with 1322 viewschicoazul

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 12:25 - Jan 19 by homer_123

Cresswell or Mings?

Both good shouts although I feel we “made” them good as opposed to buying them good if you see what I mean?. See someone else agitating for Chaplin and Morsy, two players who were key to taking us to our lowest ebb in history.

Our 20 biggest ever signings listed here on 13:55 - Jan 19 with 1156 viewsSouthPoleBlue

With regard to EADT’s list, it was later reported that Chopra was only £1m and there since been suggestions it was only £500,000 as Cardiff were very keen to get rid…..can’t imagine why. Also I think JET’s fee was later reported to be about £650k which made more sense as he’d never come close to making it at Arsenal….and again I can’t imagine why….
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024