Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? 12:13 - Feb 1 with 3404 viewsIllinoisblue

Do other sports play there? Rugby? Hockey?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:16 - Feb 1 with 3381 viewsMattinLondon

Same reason why their owner, who wanted a professional football team in MK, didn’t buy into one of the non-league clubs based within or around MK. Like a toddler he didn’t have the patience to wait but wanted it there-and-then.

I’m short, egotism.
Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:17 - Feb 1 with 3371 viewsbournemouthblue

because they were hoping to grow into it I guess?

It remains questionable if they ever needed that capacity, they'd have been wiser having a modular design and incrementally upgraded as Brighton have done.

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:17 - Feb 1 with 3355 viewsZx1988

I assume it's cheaper to build a 30,000 seater stadium right off the bat, than to build, say, a 15k capacity one and then extend?

Plus, the additional size/facilities make it a good venue for good concerts and international sport.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:19 - Feb 1 with 3330 viewsTractorCam

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:17 - Feb 1 by Zx1988

I assume it's cheaper to build a 30,000 seater stadium right off the bat, than to build, say, a 15k capacity one and then extend?

Plus, the additional size/facilities make it a good venue for good concerts and international sport.

Indeed, the worst thing that goes on in the stadium is funnily enough MK games.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:20 - Feb 1 with 3316 viewsbournemouthblue

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:17 - Feb 1 by Zx1988

That's probably true, I'm sure it's architecturally brilliant

I get the impression clubs have learned from the souless bowl design and decided to go for a more conventional layout with a bigger main stand and a kop style single tier singing area

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:38 - Feb 1 with 3158 viewsxrayspecs

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:20 - Feb 1 by bournemouthblue

That's probably true, I'm sure it's architecturally brilliant

I get the impression clubs have learned from the souless bowl design and decided to go for a more conventional layout with a bigger main stand and a kop style single tier singing area

The new Spurs stadium is a great design example. Brilliant atmosphere rolls down the single tier stand.
Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:46 - Feb 1 with 3069 viewsFreddies_Ears

It was an enabling development- had to be a certain size to get the ok for the moneymaking retail park.
Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 13:54 - Feb 1 with 2742 viewsbournemouthblue

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:38 - Feb 1 by xrayspecs

The new Spurs stadium is a great design example. Brilliant atmosphere rolls down the single tier stand.

It's a similar layout to the Emirates but crucially has a big Kop style end

It's meant to be really top draw on facilities and design?

Login to get fewer ads

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 14:03 - Feb 1 with 2692 viewsBlueandTruesince82

It's so they can host Rod Stewart concerts

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 14:49 - Feb 1 with 2531 viewsitfcjoe

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:17 - Feb 1 by bournemouthblue

It remains questionable if they ever needed that capacity, they'd have been wiser having a modular design and incrementally upgraded as Brighton have done.

I went there (presumably) shortly after it opened for a League CUp tie that we lost on penalties and the facilities were superb, everything looked brand new.

15 years or so later and been there a few more times watching us, but the stadium is starting to feel incredibly tired already.

For all anyone's issues with MK, and I fundamentally disagree with what happened, but they do do a lot of good in the community, in the city, etc but it's such a slow process attracting fans.

If they ever get to the PL and establish themselves, and get close to filling the ground regularly with children born into the city opposed to those swithcing allegiances then the stadium will be so tired that it will need redoing.

A total white elephant, it could have been half as big with room to expand as and when needed.

We had more fans than them last year when they were pushing for top 2, we will probably have double what they have there this year

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 14:59 - Feb 1 with 2482 viewsitfcsuth

For the Ipswich game.

In all seriousness, it is a lovely stadium, and a shame it doesn't fill out - but over generations I'm sure the fanbase will develop - it takes a long long time to build this up.

But nevertheless, it is a beautiful stadium.

I think they make good revenue from the hotel/arena/off season concerts/hospitality.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2023 15:00]
Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 15:06 - Feb 1 with 2437 viewsSwansea_Blue

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:46 - Feb 1 by Freddies_Ears

It was an enabling development- had to be a certain size to get the ok for the moneymaking retail park.

Yep, MK Dons didn’t build it. It had nothing to do with a particular football team at the start. They were touting round for several teams and happened to end up with MK Dons. But as you say it was all about the retail side, and also a short cut to securing planning for IKEA and ASDA (according to wiki!).
[Post edited 1 Feb 2023 15:06]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 15:41 - Feb 1 with 2303 viewsfarkenhell

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 15:06 - Feb 1 by Swansea_Blue

Yep, MK Dons didn’t build it. It had nothing to do with a particular football team at the start. They were touting round for several teams and happened to end up with MK Dons. But as you say it was all about the retail side, and also a short cut to securing planning for IKEA and ASDA (according to wiki!).
[Post edited 1 Feb 2023 15:06]

That's right. For a long time, there were rumours that Luton (who were also struggling financially at the time) might re-locate there. Wimbledon came along very much at the eleventh hour. They then had to play at the hockey stadium whilst the new stadium was built.
Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 15:56 - Feb 1 with 2245 viewsDeep_Blue

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 12:17 - Feb 1 by bournemouthblue

It is modular! It started out as 22k then they expanded it to 30k and there is scope to expand it again to around 46k, but I doubt that will happen unless as part of a successful England WC bid.
Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 16:35 - Feb 1 with 2150 viewsJimmy86

Pretty sure they built Stadium MK as a music concert venue, primarily? They have played rugby there, in the Rugby world cup in 2015 and I went there to watch Northampton Saints Vs Saracens in 2018 at Easter (Sarries fan) was a really nice ground and deserving of a top flight sports team
Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 16:40 - Feb 1 with 2124 viewsbournemouthblue

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 15:56 - Feb 1 by Deep_Blue

It is modular! It started out as 22k then they expanded it to 30k and there is scope to expand it again to around 46k, but I doubt that will happen unless as part of a successful England WC bid.

And would be even more over capacity than it already is

By modular, I meant more so like Brighton where they filled the corners in and added an extra tier but I take your point

When first built, they hadn't added seats to the top tier, was that the same with upstairs facilities etc?

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 16:43 - Feb 1 with 2106 viewsZx1988

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 15:56 - Feb 1 by Deep_Blue

Was it expanded in the traditional sense of the word, or was it just the case that seating was added to the upper tier?

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 16:49 - Feb 1 with 2085 viewsITFC_Forever

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 16:43 - Feb 1 by Zx1988

Was it expanded in the traditional sense of the word, or was it just the case that seating was added to the upper tier?

I think they simply added seats to the upper tier.

When it was built, the upper tier was originally left empty.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 17:37 - Feb 1 with 1973 viewsMoisha

Why did MK Dons build such a big stadium? on 16:35 - Feb 1 by Jimmy86

Pretty sure they built Stadium MK as a music concert venue, primarily? They have played rugby there, in the Rugby world cup in 2015 and I went there to watch Northampton Saints Vs Saracens in 2018 at Easter (Sarries fan) was a really nice ground and deserving of a top flight sports team

Thumbs up for being a Sarries fan… I use to live near Watford and went to games there.
When moved to Coptall went once but was a nightmare to get to, so didn’t go again. Have moved back near Ipswich now so don’t go anymore, just follow on the TV!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024