Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chinese spy balloon 18:11 - Feb 3 with 3543 viewsSamuelowen88

Have we covered this?

All seems a bit strange, why use a baloon when they have the satellite technology they do?

You also can't exactly make a baloon go where you want.

And it it was just a weather baloon, why are the US so p*ssed?

Poll: England v Wales Score

Chinese spy balloon on 18:16 - Feb 3 with 2913 viewsHARRY10

"why are the US so p*ssed"

Perhaps they drink too much, though US visitors comment on the amount we consume
Chinese spy balloon on 18:18 - Feb 3 with 2902 viewsearlsgreenblue

I think the fact it got to where it did is a major worry, knowing how the US react to anything threatening their airspace especially a foreign (Chinese) one, must have been in the air a while to get “blown off course” that far……..made me chuckle when I read it though.
Chinese spy balloon on 18:21 - Feb 3 with 2876 viewsHARRY10

Those fiendish orientals, up to their old traicks again

Chinese spy balloon on 18:26 - Feb 3 with 2865 viewsDJR

I think it's just a balloon from their new year celebrations that went astray.
Chinese spy balloon on 19:17 - Feb 3 with 2779 viewsGuthrum

Much closer to the ground and slower-moving, so potentially higher resolution photography or better reception of radio/radar signals. Satellites follow predictable routes and schedules, so stuff can be hidden or turned off when they're known to be overhead. Balloons just lurk and are not that easy to detect at high altitude.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Chinese spy balloon on 20:38 - Feb 3 with 2696 viewsVic

Chinese have denied it came from them - so just shoot the darn thing down!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Chinese spy balloon on 20:42 - Feb 3 with 2674 viewsGuthrum

Chinese spy balloon on 20:38 - Feb 3 by Vic

Chinese have denied it came from them - so just shoot the darn thing down!

They'd rather not, due to the risk of falling debris for those on the ground.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Chinese spy balloon on 20:46 - Feb 3 with 2653 viewsNthsuffolkblue

To be fair, the weather balloon over Roswell caused them quite a headache too. Something odd about weather balloons.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Chinese spy balloon on 20:54 - Feb 3 with 2636 viewsVic

Chinese spy balloon on 20:42 - Feb 3 by Guthrum

Would a ‘popped’ balloon hurt much? Better than the Chinese getting photos of all the secrets!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Chinese spy balloon on 20:57 - Feb 3 with 2610 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Chinese spy balloon on 20:54 - Feb 3 by Vic

Would a ‘popped’ balloon hurt much? Better than the Chinese getting photos of all the secrets!

I would imagine, as with Roswell, it would be more the case of what is attached to it than simply the lining of the balloon itself.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Chinese spy balloon on 21:20 - Feb 3 with 2582 viewsWestSussexBlue

Becoming a real pain in the A### these Chinese over recent years
Chinese spy balloon on 21:22 - Feb 3 with 2575 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Chinese spy balloon on 18:18 - Feb 3 by earlsgreenblue

I think the fact it got to where it did is a major worry, knowing how the US react to anything threatening their airspace especially a foreign (Chinese) one, must have been in the air a while to get “blown off course” that far……..made me chuckle when I read it though.

The jet stream?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Chinese spy balloon on 07:33 - Feb 4 with 2410 viewsbournemouthblue

Chinese spy balloon on 19:17 - Feb 3 by Guthrum

Much closer to the ground and slower-moving, so potentially higher resolution photography or better reception of radio/radar signals. Satellites follow predictable routes and schedules, so stuff can be hidden or turned off when they're known to be overhead. Balloons just lurk and are not that easy to detect at high altitude.

There was a suggestion it could have listening capabilities being lower to the ground so it could record conversation etc

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Chinese spy balloon on 08:52 - Feb 4 with 2339 viewsStokieBlue

Chinese spy balloon on 20:54 - Feb 3 by Vic

Have you seen the pictures of it?

It had massive solar panels and other equipment underneath it which would definitely have hurt if it hit you.

SB
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 8:53]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Chinese spy balloon on 08:55 - Feb 4 with 2315 viewsStokieBlue

Chinese spy balloon on 18:18 - Feb 3 by earlsgreenblue

They were tracking it from before it got over Alaska so in reality they could have chosen a place without many people to have shot it down much earlier.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Chinese spy balloon on 10:11 - Feb 4 with 2219 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Chinese spy balloon on 08:52 - Feb 4 by StokieBlue

Have you seen the pictures of it?

It had massive solar panels and other equipment underneath it which would definitely have hurt if it hit you.

SB
[Post edited 4 Feb 2023 8:53]

Perhaps if they put sellotape on it first before sticking a pin in then it will come down nice and slow.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Chinese spy balloon on 10:52 - Feb 4 with 2174 viewsRadlett_blue

Chinese spy balloon on 08:55 - Feb 4 by StokieBlue

They were tracking it from before it got over Alaska so in reality they could have chosen a place without many people to have shot it down much earlier.

SB

Perhaps even the gung-ho Yanks are wary of starting a war with China?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Chinese spy balloon on 11:00 - Feb 4 with 2152 viewsPrrrromotionGiven

Reckon the Chinese are just seeing how the US reacts. What can a balloon see that a satellite can't nowadays? It's brinksmanship.
Chinese spy balloon on 11:09 - Feb 4 with 2141 viewsChorleyBoy

Chinese spy balloon on 20:42 - Feb 3 by Guthrum

I think it's more probable that they don't want to down it and then report how entirely innocent it is.

Better to let this very dangerous spying equipment continue on its nefarious journey and generate a bit more state enemy propaganda.
Chinese spy balloon on 13:49 - Feb 4 with 2031 viewsronnyd

SB

Montana has some big open spaces too.
Chinese spy balloon on 14:49 - Feb 4 with 1964 viewsOldsmoker

SB

They could have shot it down as soon as it entered US airspace.
It was their right to do so - China would have no grounds to complain as they would do the same.
They chose to let it fly so they could let the indignant US news media condemn the Chinese. It will take a while to fly all the way across the US so it'll be at least 2 days of chinese-hating. They'll shoot it down just as it's about to leave US airspace and give the nation an excuse to chant USA-USA-USA-....ad nauseum.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Chinese spy balloon on 14:50 - Feb 4 with 1961 viewsjontysnut

Is that a Fall track?
Chinese spy balloon on 20:00 - Feb 4 with 1879 viewscatch74

Chinese spy balloon on 14:49 - Feb 4 by Oldsmoker

It was their right to do so - China would have no grounds to complain as they would do the same.
They chose to let it fly so they could let the indignant US news media condemn the Chinese. It will take a while to fly all the way across the US so it'll be at least 2 days of chinese-hating. They'll shoot it down just as it's about to leave US airspace and give the nation an excuse to chant USA-USA-USA-....ad nauseum.

Shot down now, think this might be footage.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Chinese spy balloon on 17:02 - Feb 5 with 1690 viewsHARRY10

Perhaps the US does not possess enough guns to shoot it down.....
Chinese spy balloon on 17:26 - Feb 5 with 1635 viewsDJR

As if we don't have enough on our hands with conflict against Russia, it does strike me as odd that the West almost appears keen to provoke conflict with China.

There also seems to be an element of paranoia creeping in, with a Tory MP calling today for people to delete the Tik Tok app to protect their personal data.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/tiktok-people-china-bytedance-con

Of course, China's record on human rights is poor butt so is the record of so many other countries, and the increasing move to distance the West from China in terms of trade, at a time when we could benefit from China's revival, is also puzzling.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024