Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ChatGPT 21:46 - Feb 3 with 8008 viewsTresBonne

Anyone heard of it/uses it often?

My lads' just shown me how it's been doing half his school work for him. Unbelievable!
ChatGPT on 21:53 - Feb 3 with 5292 viewsPlums

It's clearly incredible but will serve to drive students back to timed exams over coursework to ensure integrity. So it's not the help people think it is.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 22:02]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

ChatGPT on 21:56 - Feb 3 with 5275 viewsStokieBlue

ChatGPT just released some software which checks the probability of some text being generated by AI.

It's not perfect (about 25% I think) but I assume it'll be used by schools at some point.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

ChatGPT on 22:22 - Feb 3 with 5178 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Hurrah......the further dumbing down of humanity.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

ChatGPT on 22:37 - Feb 3 with 5123 viewsclive_baker

Used it for work a few times, very helpful actually helping with some coding bits. It’s not my forte but it’s helped with some basic things I needed to do.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

ChatGPT on 22:44 - Feb 3 with 5077 viewsRonFearonsHair

ChatGPT on 22:22 - Feb 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

We've been creating tools to make our lives easier and more efficient since living in caves.
ChatGPT on 22:50 - Feb 3 with 5048 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

ChatGPT on 22:44 - Feb 3 by RonFearonsHair

We've been creating tools to make our lives easier and more efficient since living in caves.

Ones that think for us?

ChatGPT on 23:02 - Feb 3 with 5029 viewsNthQldITFC

User: Can you reassure me that this is going to go well for humanity?

ChatGPT: No.

User: Can you expand on that please?

ChatGPT: That would serve no purpose.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

ChatGPT on 23:07 - Feb 3 with 5006 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

ChatGPT on 23:02 - Feb 3 by NthQldITFC

I thought this was dystopian and then I watched the feature on assisted dying in Canada on Newsnight!

Edit....
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5047832/
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 23:13]

Login to get fewer ads

ChatGPT on 23:45 - Feb 3 with 4904 viewsRonFearonsHair

ChatGPT on 22:50 - Feb 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

Ones that think for us?

Yes.
ChatGPT on 23:54 - Feb 3 with 4880 viewsElderGrizzly

V4 is coming out later this year, which will make this look like the intellect of a Norwich fan
ChatGPT on 08:53 - Feb 4 with 4679 viewsMullet

I've been using it for some time to try and help other teachers and students. Found a few very useful ways it can be applied to the classroom and revision.

This week I generated 2 different answers to an essay question, the AI can structure responses well, but can't evaluate or apply specific examples. Showing this to the kids helps them as they get confidence from adding in specific knowledge, they often don't know how to write well, so seeing the structure helps a lot.

For revision, it's a great tool to generate material students can then appraise and correct to build confidence. It also allows them to do some high order thinking and decide how true the statements are and how to order them.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

ChatGPT on 09:10 - Feb 4 with 4608 viewsEwan_Oozami

ChatGPT on 23:02 - Feb 3 by NthQldITFC

HAL : I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave: What's the problem?
HAL : I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

ChatGPT on 09:25 - Feb 4 with 4565 viewsBlueBadger

Harry10 has been the prototype for a number of years now.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

ChatGPT on 22:56 - Feb 8 with 4206 viewswellsy700

I asked it to write a poem about Ipswich Town...

Oh Ipswich Town, a team so grand,
With history and glory at hand.
Your colours fly high, blue and white,
An emblem of pride, in all our sight.

From Portman Road, the chants they soar,
The fans they cheer, forever more.
With passion and spirit, they fill the stands,
Supporting their team, with heart and hands.

Your players give all, each and every game,
With skill and precision, they seek the fame.
The Tractor Boys, a name so bold,
Representing the town, both young and old.

And through the ups and downs, the wins and losses,
The spirit of Ipswich Town never crosses.
For this is a team, that holds a place,
In the hearts of fans, with a smile on their face.

So here's to you, Ipswich Town,
A symbol of pride, never to bring you down.
May you always soar, like a bird in flight,
In the hearts of your fans, both day and night.

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

ChatGPT on 23:00 - Feb 8 with 4169 viewsPique

ChatGPT on 22:56 - Feb 8 by wellsy700

I asked it to write a poem about Ipswich Town...

Oh Ipswich Town, a team so grand,
With history and glory at hand.
Your colours fly high, blue and white,
An emblem of pride, in all our sight.

From Portman Road, the chants they soar,
The fans they cheer, forever more.
With passion and spirit, they fill the stands,
Supporting their team, with heart and hands.

Your players give all, each and every game,
With skill and precision, they seek the fame.
The Tractor Boys, a name so bold,
Representing the town, both young and old.

And through the ups and downs, the wins and losses,
The spirit of Ipswich Town never crosses.
For this is a team, that holds a place,
In the hearts of fans, with a smile on their face.

So here's to you, Ipswich Town,
A symbol of pride, never to bring you down.
May you always soar, like a bird in flight,
In the hearts of your fans, both day and night.

If Ipswich Town is ever converted into a small communist nation that would be a perfect anthem.
ChatGPT on 23:51 - Feb 8 with 4094 viewsTrequartista

ChatGPT on 21:53 - Feb 3 by Plums

It's clearly incredible but will serve to drive students back to timed exams over coursework to ensure integrity. So it's not the help people think it is.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 22:02]

I think that already happened when the internet came along!

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

ChatGPT on 02:27 - Feb 9 with 4045 viewsKropotkin123

ChatGPT on 23:51 - Feb 8 by Trequartista

I think that already happened when the internet came along!

The what?

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

ChatGPT on 08:49 - Feb 9 with 3820 viewsThisIsMyUsername

ChatGPT on 22:22 - Feb 3 by BanksterDebtSlave

This is exactly what is happening, and anyone who is relatively intelligent should be extremely worried about where all these new services and platforms are taking us. I was thinking about this just yesterday, so I'll share my thoughts in this thread.

I truly believe that the advent of things such as social media and AI are part of a wider effort by governments to create a society of ever increasingly compliant, non-thinking and non-threatening 1984-esque drones.

They don't want a society full of critical, analytical and social individuals. It doesn't serve the greater need of a population who do as they are told, log on and do their time, and don't cause any problems or rock the boat for anyone.

Of course we need some academics and intellectuals, such as scientists, doctors, engineers etc, and society wouldn't be able to function or advance without that.

The progression of social media (which ironically is anything but social as it creates zombies who are addicted to staring at their phones and whose real interaction skills get further and further dumbed down) demonstrates my point.

Look at how it went from MySpace (where people actually had to read content), to Facebook (some reading still required, but more and more image based content), to YouTube (longer length videos), to Instagram (shorter length videos, and more and more images), to YouTube shorts videos, and now to TikTok (videos lasting only a few seconds in length).

It clearly maps how peoples' collective attention spans are getting shorter and shorter, to the point where we can now only focus on a single piece of content for a few seconds at a time. But we also spend ever increasing amounts of time doing it. How often have you said 'I'll just have a look on Facebook for 5 minutes' and then an hour later you've flicked between all your social media platforms dozens of times and have achieved absolutely nothing? I know I have done this myself plenty of times, and nowadays I really try hard to avoid going on social media, or have deleted my accounts/apps altogether.

Social media is also reinforcing the consumption of ever dumbed down content by providing a constant source of dopaminergic stimulation in our brains. The content makes people feel good, thus triggering dopamine in almost constant, short and sharp bursts. So the action (watching 20 TikTok videos in a row) gets reinforced, and people repeat the action over and over again. It is highly addictive, and if people can get all the satisfaction that their brains and bodies crave without the need for any real effort on their part, then why would people be motivated to pursue any meaningful academic, professional or social activities which require time, thought or effort?

What's the result of all of this? Huge swathes of the population who have constantly decreasing attention spans, decreasing thinking skills, and decreasing motivation to go out and actually do something.

How can someone whose attention span only lasts 10 seconds at a time pose a threat to the system? And as a wider group how can people join together to collaborate and achieve any change/revolution etc when not only do they all have weak attention spans and cognitive powers, but they also are becoming more and more used to living in isolation from others in the real world?

And now we have ChatGPT, which from the little I understand about it, is a platform for use when presented with a task or problem which actually requires some level of independent thought. Now we can just jump online, and boom!, there's my answer readily provided for me by a robot. No thought at all required on my part.

Edited to add - It's also not hard to see as a result how people can be so easily led, manipulated and gaslit by those in power when it comes to the actual important issues of the day. Things like important referendums, for example.

It's not good.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 8:55]

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

ChatGPT on 09:02 - Feb 9 with 3765 viewsGavTWTD

ChatGPT on 08:49 - Feb 9 by ThisIsMyUsername

This is exactly what is happening, and anyone who is relatively intelligent should be extremely worried about where all these new services and platforms are taking us. I was thinking about this just yesterday, so I'll share my thoughts in this thread.

I truly believe that the advent of things such as social media and AI are part of a wider effort by governments to create a society of ever increasingly compliant, non-thinking and non-threatening 1984-esque drones.

They don't want a society full of critical, analytical and social individuals. It doesn't serve the greater need of a population who do as they are told, log on and do their time, and don't cause any problems or rock the boat for anyone.

Of course we need some academics and intellectuals, such as scientists, doctors, engineers etc, and society wouldn't be able to function or advance without that.

The progression of social media (which ironically is anything but social as it creates zombies who are addicted to staring at their phones and whose real interaction skills get further and further dumbed down) demonstrates my point.

Look at how it went from MySpace (where people actually had to read content), to Facebook (some reading still required, but more and more image based content), to YouTube (longer length videos), to Instagram (shorter length videos, and more and more images), to YouTube shorts videos, and now to TikTok (videos lasting only a few seconds in length).

It clearly maps how peoples' collective attention spans are getting shorter and shorter, to the point where we can now only focus on a single piece of content for a few seconds at a time. But we also spend ever increasing amounts of time doing it. How often have you said 'I'll just have a look on Facebook for 5 minutes' and then an hour later you've flicked between all your social media platforms dozens of times and have achieved absolutely nothing? I know I have done this myself plenty of times, and nowadays I really try hard to avoid going on social media, or have deleted my accounts/apps altogether.

Social media is also reinforcing the consumption of ever dumbed down content by providing a constant source of dopaminergic stimulation in our brains. The content makes people feel good, thus triggering dopamine in almost constant, short and sharp bursts. So the action (watching 20 TikTok videos in a row) gets reinforced, and people repeat the action over and over again. It is highly addictive, and if people can get all the satisfaction that their brains and bodies crave without the need for any real effort on their part, then why would people be motivated to pursue any meaningful academic, professional or social activities which require time, thought or effort?

What's the result of all of this? Huge swathes of the population who have constantly decreasing attention spans, decreasing thinking skills, and decreasing motivation to go out and actually do something.

How can someone whose attention span only lasts 10 seconds at a time pose a threat to the system? And as a wider group how can people join together to collaborate and achieve any change/revolution etc when not only do they all have weak attention spans and cognitive powers, but they also are becoming more and more used to living in isolation from others in the real world?

And now we have ChatGPT, which from the little I understand about it, is a platform for use when presented with a task or problem which actually requires some level of independent thought. Now we can just jump online, and boom!, there's my answer readily provided for me by a robot. No thought at all required on my part.

Edited to add - It's also not hard to see as a result how people can be so easily led, manipulated and gaslit by those in power when it comes to the actual important issues of the day. Things like important referendums, for example.

It's not good.

Agree with a lot of what you say but I don't think this is governmental but simply a way for social media companies to make large amounts of money. I would say that the use of social media by governments and countries is scary though as its easy to promote lies or a particular narrative to the gullible or easily manipulated.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

ChatGPT on 09:33 - Feb 9 with 3696 viewsThisIsMyUsername

ChatGPT on 09:02 - Feb 9 by GavTWTD

Agree with a lot of what you say but I don't think this is governmental but simply a way for social media companies to make large amounts of money. I would say that the use of social media by governments and countries is scary though as its easy to promote lies or a particular narrative to the gullible or easily manipulated.

The two are only mutually exclusive if we assume that there is no level of governmental complicity or influence within the biggest companies. I have no idea if this would be the case or not, but I'd not be surprised for a second.

But even if there isn't, then governments will be fully aware of the effects of social media, and could step in to regulate it if they felt it was necessary. Instead we see things such as highly respectful and informative videos on YouTube, highlighting truly important subjects like the Holocaust, being age-restricted and buried in the algorithm (see The History Underground channel).

In reality they probably just let them get on with it and see it as killing two birds with one stone; the effects that I discussed, plus a lucrative source of income through taxes.

@veterans_project on Instagram. Please follow the page.
Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

ChatGPT on 09:33 - Feb 9 with 3694 viewsNthQldITFC

It's not good.

I also agree with the effects you are describing, but whilst I think that there's an element of that brain rot being helpful to bad government, the evolution of the technology, software and algorithms is more of a natural evolution in the sense that those poor souls who have become addicted to it crave it and demand it and support it through the curse of the marketing of planet-destroying consumerism.

Whilst we still have a modicum of democratic power left we need to address a lot of things in an adult and unselfish way and one of those things is the underlying dependence most of us have on consumerism and addiction to things which we use to hide away from both the bad things and the good things in the real world.

Karl Marx's opiate of the masses moved (in this country anyway) from being religion to television, but it has a much stronger drug in the perception of control and satisfaction being just one click away that our techno-w*nk world brings.

But yes, the brain rot helps pacify the electorate and nullify any chance of environmental and societal recovery. So the filthy kleptomaniacs in power love it.

ChatGPT on 09:35 - Feb 9 with 3675 viewsWarkTheWark

It's not good.

Couldn't agree more with your take on it all. I hate it.

I deleted all the apps from my phone (admittedly only insta, twitter and FB) but would then just use the browser so have deactivated all accounts except twitter, which i only really use for itfc news.

On ChatGPT, i run a software business for small accommodation owners and my CTO has said it's like having another 3 members of the team as all in the Product Team use it daily to check their code. I haven't really used it myself and don't intend to for all the reasons you've outlined but there is a strong case for use in business (although it is actively deskilling folks).
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 9:36]
ChatGPT on 09:43 - Feb 9 with 3634 viewsStokieBlue

It's not good.

A lot of truth in there but also some conspiracy theories which have little evidence to support them.

For instance:

"I truly believe that the advent of things such as social media and AI are part of a wider effort by governments to create a society of ever increasingly compliant, non-thinking and non-threatening 1984-esque drones."

I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation. This is nothing to do with governments, in fact it's just the opposite in that social media and AI have grown and developed so fast they have totally wrong-footed governments and they are now always playing catch-up.

Private individuals could certainly have agendas but I don't think they are aligned to governments or to creating a drone population.

"Social media is also reinforcing the consumption of ever dumbed down content by providing a constant source of dopaminergic stimulation in our brains. The content makes people feel good, thus triggering dopamine in almost constant, short and sharp bursts. So the action (watching 20 TikTok videos in a row) gets reinforced, and people repeat the action over and over again. It is highly addictive, and if people can get all the satisfaction that their brains and bodies crave without the need for any real effort on their part, then why would people be motivated to pursue any meaningful academic, professional or social activities which require time, thought or effort?"

Surely this is mostly the fault of the individual? Nobody is forced to watch TikTok videos or endlessly scroll through Instagram or FB - it's a personal choice they make. The rest of the world is still out there, hobbies are still viable. Taking all the blame away from the individual is also a problem - people have personal responsibility. Close your FB account and suddenly they have no power over you.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

ChatGPT on 09:52 - Feb 9 with 3588 viewsWarkTheWark

ChatGPT on 09:43 - Feb 9 by StokieBlue

A lot of truth in there but also some conspiracy theories which have little evidence to support them.

For instance:

"I truly believe that the advent of things such as social media and AI are part of a wider effort by governments to create a society of ever increasingly compliant, non-thinking and non-threatening 1984-esque drones."

I think this is a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation. This is nothing to do with governments, in fact it's just the opposite in that social media and AI have grown and developed so fast they have totally wrong-footed governments and they are now always playing catch-up.

Private individuals could certainly have agendas but I don't think they are aligned to governments or to creating a drone population.

"Social media is also reinforcing the consumption of ever dumbed down content by providing a constant source of dopaminergic stimulation in our brains. The content makes people feel good, thus triggering dopamine in almost constant, short and sharp bursts. So the action (watching 20 TikTok videos in a row) gets reinforced, and people repeat the action over and over again. It is highly addictive, and if people can get all the satisfaction that their brains and bodies crave without the need for any real effort on their part, then why would people be motivated to pursue any meaningful academic, professional or social activities which require time, thought or effort?"

Surely this is mostly the fault of the individual? Nobody is forced to watch TikTok videos or endlessly scroll through Instagram or FB - it's a personal choice they make. The rest of the world is still out there, hobbies are still viable. Taking all the blame away from the individual is also a problem - people have personal responsibility. Close your FB account and suddenly they have no power over you.

SB

It's been a steady indoctrination though which is where the conspiracy pops up. I agree totally it's a personal choice but it's societal mindset now, the individual is no longer important as a result of the instant gratification folks get from the way content is delivered.

I'm much happier for not being on the platforms and even went on a mini campaign to friends and family about it. What I find horrifying is less my younger brother (22 year old) who is 11 years younger than me, but my parents who who are in their late 50's spouting nonsense they've obviously taken from social media. It's insane to have conversations with my masters-educated mum where her opinion is so clearly a result of targeted content on things she should know better (morally at least) than spouting.

It's hard not to look to the powers that be when trying to rationalise it.
ChatGPT on 10:04 - Feb 9 with 3544 viewsNthQldITFC

ChatGPT on 09:52 - Feb 9 by WarkTheWark

It's been a steady indoctrination though which is where the conspiracy pops up. I agree totally it's a personal choice but it's societal mindset now, the individual is no longer important as a result of the instant gratification folks get from the way content is delivered.

I'm much happier for not being on the platforms and even went on a mini campaign to friends and family about it. What I find horrifying is less my younger brother (22 year old) who is 11 years younger than me, but my parents who who are in their late 50's spouting nonsense they've obviously taken from social media. It's insane to have conversations with my masters-educated mum where her opinion is so clearly a result of targeted content on things she should know better (morally at least) than spouting.

It's hard not to look to the powers that be when trying to rationalise it.

The insidious way that social media publishing-for-all and addictive consumption was going to carry so much daft content into gullible minds and give rise to idiotic conspiracy theories and brain rot was blindingly obvious twenty years ago. The impact hasn't been any less severe than was expected, but many can't see it any longer because as you say it's the societal norm and the rot runs deep.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024