Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Toxic lefty-ism 18:13 - Nov 26 with 16455 viewsNeedhamChris

Really starting to find a number of people whose views I should align with (both on here and offline) to be quite alienating.

When it comes to people on here who are more openly left wing vs those that are right wing - the majority of the abuse, snobbery and entrenchment in views seems to come from this group. This doesn't seem to match up with the virtues that are supposedly at the centre of their politics. Whereas whilst I often disagree with some of what I read from the likes of GB and Lowhouse, their arguments are politely put forward and explained rationally and are a much more enjoyable conversation than those that I would agree with.

Why is this? I find it to be quite unedifying and the more I see of it - the more I feel like the left isn't for me. If I (as a Green party member) find it unappealing, where does that leave those minds we're supposed to be trying to change?

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:18 - Nov 26 with 6018 viewsJ2BLUE

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:42 - Nov 26 with 5937 viewsBlueBadger

I love a bit of centrist dad bothsidsing.

'Sure Nigel Farage is far right crook claiming to be patriotic whilst addressing rallies for neo-nazis who's wilful deception of gullible sections of the public have poisoned public debate for over a decade now but on the other side, someone on a football forum has called him a frog-faced old bigot'.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2023 19:17]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: Where would it be funniest to see NCFC fans crying on the telly?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:48 - Nov 26 with 5871 viewsgtsb1966

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:42 - Nov 26 by BlueBadger

'Sure Nigel Farage is far right crook claiming to be patriotic whilst addressing rallies for neo-nazis who's wilful deception of gullible sections of the public have poisoned public debate for over a decade now but on the other side, someone on a football forum has called him a frog-faced old bigot'.

Had you down as 3-1 favourite to be the first to take the bait but not that bloody quick.
Toxic lefty-ism on 18:50 - Nov 26 with 5837 viewsleitrimblue

GB and Lowhouse are both lefty Labour voters
Toxic lefty-ism on 18:51 - Nov 26 with 5826 viewsDarth_Koont

Good effort.

Pronouns: He/Him

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:52 - Nov 26 with 5802 viewsNeedhamChris

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:51 - Nov 26 by Darth_Koont

Good effort.

It was (and is) a serious post, but your response speaks volumes.

It's quite telling that..... on 18:54 - Nov 26 with 5797 viewsBloots

....most of the posters on here that get banned for being personally abusive to others are those of a lefty persuasion.

There's definitely a lack of tolerance from them towards anyone that doesn't agree 100% with them.

Loonies, innit.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:56 - Nov 26 with 5748 viewsNeedhamChris

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:42 - Nov 26 by BlueBadger

That's not really an attempt at engaging with the question is it.

Login to get fewer ads

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:00 - Nov 26 with 5718 viewsBlueBadger

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:56 - Nov 26 by NeedhamChris

That's not really an attempt at engaging with the question is it.

Sure it is. It's a riposte subtly disguised as mockery.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

It's quite telling that..... on 19:00 - Nov 26 with 5710 viewsBlueBadger

It's quite telling that..... on 18:54 - Nov 26 by Bloots

....most of the posters on here that get banned for being personally abusive to others are those of a lefty persuasion.

There's definitely a lack of tolerance from them towards anyone that doesn't agree 100% with them.

Loonies, innit.

'Loonies'?

Be kind.

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:04 - Nov 26 with 5669 viewsMillsyVOR

Amen
Toxic lefty-ism on 19:05 - Nov 26 with 5648 viewsDarth_Koont

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:52 - Nov 26 by NeedhamChris

It was (and is) a serious post, but your response speaks volumes.

Thanks for the strangely toxic post and response.

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:09 - Nov 26 with 5599 viewsJ2BLUE

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:48 - Nov 26 by gtsb1966

Had you down as 3-1 favourite to be the first to take the bait but not that bloody quick.

When I saw the thread had a downvote I would have gone all in on it being Herbivore.

Truly impaired.

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:12 - Nov 26 with 5561 viewsNeedhamChris

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:05 - Nov 26 by Darth_Koont

Thanks for the strangely toxic post and response.

How is the post toxic? Other than it being a view you disagree with.

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:17 - Nov 26 with 5502 viewsDarth_Koont

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:12 - Nov 26 by NeedhamChris

How is the post toxic? Other than it being a view you disagree with.

Because you called the views of some who disagree with right-wingers like GB and lowhouse toxic. And seem to totally ignore the accusations and bile that come the other way.

But this is great stuff. It’s what passes for UK politics and debate in a nutshell.

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:19 - Nov 26 with 5440 viewsnoggin

Up arrows... Chris Needs'um.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:20 - Nov 26 with 5434 viewsBlueBadger

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:19 - Nov 26 by noggin

I'll give you evens Phils ends up pulling the thread and 'aheming' about it.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2023 19:20]

It's quite telling that..... on 19:21 - Nov 26 with 5414 viewsDarth_Koont

It's quite telling that..... on 18:54 - Nov 26 by Bloots

Loonies, innit.

The shy right are right shyte. 😂

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:21 - Nov 26 with 5403 viewslowhouseblue

Toxic lefty-ism on 18:50 - Nov 26 by leitrimblue

GB and Lowhouse are both lefty Labour voters

solidly of the wilsonite, callaghanite, kinnockite, smithite, blairite, brownite, milibandite, and starmerite left me. and i have a card to prove it.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:22 - Nov 26 with 5397 viewsJ2BLUE

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:19 - Nov 26 by noggin

He was on +4 but it looks like the alt accounts of the whats app group have been mobilised.

Truly impaired.

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:22 - Nov 26 with 5376 viewsNeedhamChris

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:17 - Nov 26 by Darth_Koont

Because you called the views of some who disagree with right-wingers like GB and lowhouse toxic. And seem to totally ignore the accusations and bile that come the other way.

But this is great stuff. It’s what passes for UK politics and debate in a nutshell.

That's not what I said at all. My views are left leaning also, I've not referred to any views at toxic whatsoever. I often agree with the views, but the approach is toxic.

The toxicity I'm referring to is the manner of the debate, the name-calling or mockery instead of any form of engaging in opposing viewpoints.

For all the down-votes, there's not yet a single reasonable response to what is a perfectly valid question.

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:24 - Nov 26 with 5315 viewsnoggin

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:22 - Nov 26 by NeedhamChris

That's not what I said at all. My views are left leaning also, I've not referred to any views at toxic whatsoever. I often agree with the views, but the approach is toxic.

The toxicity I'm referring to is the manner of the debate, the name-calling or mockery instead of any form of engaging in opposing viewpoints.

For all the down-votes, there's not yet a single reasonable response to what is a perfectly valid question.

Remember when we tried to reason with the leave voters?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:26 - Nov 26 with 5272 viewsDarth_Koont

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:22 - Nov 26 by NeedhamChris

You have your impression. I have years of the left being blamed for anything and everything. And the worst of the propagandists are the two people you happened to back.

Forgive me if I find that ridiculous.

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:27 - Nov 26 with 5260 viewsNeedhamChris

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:24 - Nov 26 by noggin

Remember when we tried to reason with the leave voters?

I'd disagree with your use of 'reason' for the way a lot of the debate was handled. I'd suggest we spent longer telling them rather than reasoning - and there is a difference. The fact we still see posts about how more educated Remainers are than Brexiteers doesn't exactly help.

That's a completely different issue though - normal left/right splits didn't apply here.

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:28 - Nov 26 with 5209 viewslowhouseblue

Toxic lefty-ism on 19:26 - Nov 26 by Darth_Koont

You have your impression. I have years of the left being blamed for anything and everything. And the worst of the propagandists are the two people you happened to back.

Forgive me if I find that ridiculous.

you left out the word 'far'. but i'd settle for 'unelectable' if that's easier.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024