Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Forced to sell? 10:30 - Jan 21 with 3760 viewsWickets

Read Cardiff after Axel and West ham after Leif and I am sure there will be other interests as we are obviously looking to buy and have to be aware of FFP , will we have to sell ?
[Post edited 21 Jan 11:31]
Forced to sell? on 10:31 - Jan 21 with 3403 viewsKeno

My guess is that we only sell if we an offer that is 'too good to turn down'

we are not in a position of having to sell

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Forced to sell? on 10:32 - Jan 21 with 3390 viewsStokieBlue

I would think there was no chance at all of selling Davis unless it was a huge bid.

It was clear for everyone to see that we were a completely different team when he came back into the side for the last match.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Forced to sell? on 10:34 - Jan 21 with 3352 viewsCheltenham_Blue

We’re clearly not currently in breach of FFP, else we’d have shipped out fringe players with a sniff of interest, Edmundson for example, so why would you even consider the scenario you’ve suggested?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Forced to sell? on 10:35 - Jan 21 with 3327 viewsPinewoodblue

Forced to sell? on 10:31 - Jan 21 by Keno

We maybe if we have to spend more to get a striker.

If one doesn’t arrive before the window closes I’m sure KMc is working on an alternative plan, perhaps a rotating front four.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Forced to sell? on 10:36 - Jan 21 with 3315 viewsStokieBlue

Forced to sell? on 10:34 - Jan 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

We’re clearly not currently in breach of FFP, else we’d have shipped out fringe players with a sniff of interest, Edmundson for example, so why would you even consider the scenario you’ve suggested?

Edmundson is a fringe player?

He's our first backup for the established two and the way he's playing he might be more than that over the rest of the season.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Forced to sell? on 10:37 - Jan 21 with 3288 viewsWickets

Forced to sell? on 10:34 - Jan 21 by Cheltenham_Blue

I'm not I was just putting it out there to see what others thoughts are .
Forced to sell? on 10:38 - Jan 21 with 3246 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Forced to sell? on 10:36 - Jan 21 by StokieBlue

He's our first backup for the established two and the way he's playing he might be more than that over the rest of the season.

SB

He was 100% a fringe player in the run up to Burgess going on international duty SB and let’s not pretend he was being rotated in, he was hardly getting a sniff until then.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Forced to sell? on 10:42 - Jan 21 with 3187 viewsGuthrum

Forced to sell? on 10:35 - Jan 21 by Pinewoodblue

If one doesn’t arrive before the window closes I’m sure KMc is working on an alternative plan, perhaps a rotating front four.

Bearing in mind that fees are spread over several years, it would have to be, for a single player, a pretty huge expenditure to seriously threaten FFP.

Especially when you factor in that we've had a virtually full stadium for every home game and a considerable number of matches televised. That's going to significantly help out on turnover.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

Forced to sell? on 10:45 - Jan 21 with 3144 viewsLeoMuff

Would imagine I’d somebody offered a good fee for Axel and it gave us room to get in a striker or 2 we would consider, we would only sell Leif for silly money.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Forced to sell? on 10:45 - Jan 21 with 3138 viewsWickets

Forced to sell? on 10:35 - Jan 21 by Pinewoodblue

I'm not against that if a new striker does not materialize and as a last resort I seem to remember KM throwing Burgess up front late on in a drawn game last season . Burley did it with Mogga a few times with some success. I wait for the wave of criticism and yes we are miles away from that as yet .
Forced to sell? on 10:54 - Jan 21 with 3059 viewsRegencyBlue

Forced to sell? on 10:31 - Jan 21 by Keno

I’d be surprised if we sold Davis in this window but if a decent offer came in I think the club would have to consider it at least. The other thing being you’ve then potentially got an unsettled player on your hands if a move is blocked.

Don’t think it will happen this window but Davis will be in a Premiership team next season, one way or the other!
My thoughts on 11:00 - Jan 21 with 2978 viewsunstableblue

Town are a different club now, with a proper strategy and mission.

We want to get to the Premier League and be sustainable in there.

So player trading is all based on that.

Is Leif essential to creating a team strong enough for promotion, and a player good enough to play at Premier level - yes

How much would a like for like replacement once in the premier league cost? A very significant fee

If an offer comes in - well is it over that replacement value (silly money)? Can we guarantee a new replacement player who has the potential to be as good or better than Leif? Do the funds allow us to fill missing squad places with quality (a la Dyer and 3 players + Stewart).

As for Axel we only have a year left on his contract (if we take up the option), it looks like he’s out of his injury, but it was very serious and long term, so other clubs may be cautious for any significant fee? But again apply the same logic as Leif, e.g. Is he good enough to play in the Premier League for us? Can he create funds for other positions as we have Wolf?

I think both will stay, as McKenna will want strong back up in all positions with Axel. And Leif is a project/spine essential that you build the team around.

It’s all very systematic now and in McKenna and Ashton we trust.

Davis May garner a ridiculous fee, which may tip the analysis though. His assists ridiculous.

I think the challenge Town have is that the parachute clubs are way ahead in terms of funds. McKenna coaching is filling the gap. But as Saints are showing and with Hirst injury we are right on the max. FFP - even with the excellent revenue this year - means we aren’t able to go and pay the £4-6m we now need to for a new striker. So it’s just going to require some clever business - like we’ve had with Lunongo.

I do worry about the FFP to parachute gap though… McKenna could at some point realise it may be insurmountable despite everything the club is doing.

I’d love to see Ashton’s excel and be a fly on a wall on a call with the US. I’d love to see a £4-6m purchase those window - some game changing quality. But not sure the maths work out.

Also with the new vision, mission, strategy and objectives - we simply aren’t going to pay the wrong money for the wrong person - we may have to wait, which will frustrate some. It’s a barren market for the type of striker we need.

Anyway Hope ramblings make sense.
[Post edited 21 Jan 12:46]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Forced to sell? on 11:01 - Jan 21 with 2944 viewsGuthrum

Forced to sell? on 10:45 - Jan 21 by Wickets

I'm not against that if a new striker does not materialize and as a last resort I seem to remember KM throwing Burgess up front late on in a drawn game last season . Burley did it with Mogga a few times with some success. I wait for the wave of criticism and yes we are miles away from that as yet .

Should we fail to sign anyone, I would still rather we used Jackson and Buabo - trained strikers - than trying to shoehorn other players into the unaccustomed position. There is the risk they would be little more than an observer or, worse, get in the way. Plus it would take weeks for them to really learn the routines and patterns of play.

The idea of using the current "number 10s" in combination without a true striker is better, at least they're all forwards and goalscorers, already used to working together.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Forced to sell? on 11:06 - Jan 21 with 2870 viewsNthQldITFC

I think they've clearly stated that the priority is to keep the squad together - and that seems to have worked out bloody well so far!

Having said that, any big offer for our best players will be considered and if the club consider that the best chance of success comes from cashing in on a star and investing in a number of stars-in-waiting, so they will do.

I don't think I've ever felt more connected with the players we have right now, obviously due to their performances, but also due to their characters. Having said that, I've also never felt as at ease as I would if we sold a star in order to develop the club, because I just have absolute faith in the club.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Forced to sell? on 11:13 - Jan 21 with 2804 viewsITFC_Forever

West Ham have been watching Leif for a while.

But there’s no way we’d let him go at this stage of the season in the position we are in the league.

P 1124, W 500, D 288, L 336, F 1707, A 1359
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM on 11:18 - Jan 21 with 2744 viewsunstableblue

My thoughts on 11:00 - Jan 21 by unstableblue

Town are a different club now, with a proper strategy and mission.

We want to get to the Premier League and be sustainable in there.

So player trading is all based on that.

Is Leif essential to creating a team strong enough for promotion, and a player good enough to play at Premier level - yes

How much would a like for like replacement once in the premier league cost? A very significant fee

If an offer comes in - well is it over that replacement value (silly money)? Can we guarantee a new replacement player who has the potential to be as good or better than Leif? Do the funds allow us to fill missing squad places with quality (a la Dyer and 3 players + Stewart).

As for Axel we only have a year left on his contract (if we take up the option), it looks like he’s out of his injury, but it was very serious and long term, so other clubs may be cautious for any significant fee? But again apply the same logic as Leif, e.g. Is he good enough to play in the Premier League for us? Can he create funds for other positions as we have Wolf?

I think both will stay, as McKenna will want strong back up in all positions with Axel. And Leif is a project/spine essential that you build the team around.

It’s all very systematic now and in McKenna and Ashton we trust.

Davis May garner a ridiculous fee, which may tip the analysis though. His assists ridiculous.

I think the challenge Town have is that the parachute clubs are way ahead in terms of funds. McKenna coaching is filling the gap. But as Saints are showing and with Hirst injury we are right on the max. FFP - even with the excellent revenue this year - means we aren’t able to go and pay the £4-6m we now need to for a new striker. So it’s just going to require some clever business - like we’ve had with Lunongo.

I do worry about the FFP to parachute gap though… McKenna could at some point realise it may be insurmountable despite everything the club is doing.

I’d love to see Ashton’s excel and be a fly on a wall on a call with the US. I’d love to see a £4-6m purchase those window - some game changing quality. But not sure the maths work out.

Also with the new vision, mission, strategy and objectives - we simply aren’t going to pay the wrong money for the wrong person - we may have to wait, which will frustrate some. It’s a barren market for the type of striker we need.

Anyway Hope ramblings make sense.
[Post edited 21 Jan 12:46]

I thought next seasons relegated teams would be closer to us - so if we don’t make it up this term, and there’s a real chance we will, especially with a good January window - then a Burnley, Luton, Sheff Utd could be matched by McKenna ball and ever improving squad.

But there is a real chance an Everton, Man City and Forest with parachutes could come down this season. A real chance.

My hope is that Man City get not only related, but also point penalised.

But it’s a small concern.

I don’t think Man City will actually get nailed this season, good lawyers, but it’s an open secret they’ve been paying people, staff and players through none FFP monitored channels!

Forced to sell? on 11:29 - Jan 21 with 2652 viewsWickets

Forced to sell? on 11:01 - Jan 21 by Guthrum

Should we fail to sign anyone, I would still rather we used Jackson and Buabo - trained strikers - than trying to shoehorn other players into the unaccustomed position. There is the risk they would be little more than an observer or, worse, get in the way. Plus it would take weeks for them to really learn the routines and patterns of play.

The idea of using the current "number 10s" in combination without a true striker is better, at least they're all forwards and goalscorers, already used to working together.

I'm sure that is what we will do but Football Petrol head will have several plans on the back burner.
Forced to sell? on 11:36 - Jan 21 with 2589 viewsLeoMuff

Forced to sell? on 11:13 - Jan 21 by ITFC_Forever

West Ham have been watching Leif for a while.

But there’s no way we’d let him go at this stage of the season in the position we are in the league.

Should use that to try and tempt Divin Mubama on loan.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM on 11:37 - Jan 21 with 2589 viewsNthQldITFC

THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM on 11:18 - Jan 21 by unstableblue

I thought next seasons relegated teams would be closer to us - so if we don’t make it up this term, and there’s a real chance we will, especially with a good January window - then a Burnley, Luton, Sheff Utd could be matched by McKenna ball and ever improving squad.

But there is a real chance an Everton, Man City and Forest with parachutes could come down this season. A real chance.

My hope is that Man City get not only related, but also point penalised.

But it’s a small concern.

I don’t think Man City will actually get nailed this season, good lawyers, but it’s an open secret they’ve been paying people, staff and players through none FFP monitored channels!

Man City shouldn't get relegated because that would fk up the Championship as a competition next season. They should be suspended from competing for a year or two and fined at a level (say 20%) based on their assets - that'd learn 'em.

We have to stamp out cheating in football, politics and life in general. Hard.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Forced to sell? on 11:49 - Jan 21 with 2465 viewsVegtablue

Very unlikely that Freddie would have left on loan if this was the case. In the summer we may receive offers that we can't reasonably refuse: inflated bids, pressure from players wanting to leave etc..

We won't sell Leif in January, no matter the interest or FFP striker constraints.
THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM on 12:36 - Jan 21 with 2224 viewsunstableblue

THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM on 11:37 - Jan 21 by NthQldITFC

Man City shouldn't get relegated because that would fk up the Championship as a competition next season. They should be suspended from competing for a year or two and fined at a level (say 20%) based on their assets - that'd learn 'em.

We have to stamp out cheating in football, politics and life in general. Hard.

Yes NQ… I’ve seen it discussed that a relegation will just put them in the championship where they’ll completely dominate and skew the league.

I think you’re right that it needs to be a ban from competing. Or a relegation, financial penalty and huge points reduction.

I know that what City in terms of academy recruitment breaks a lot of rules, is verging in illegal, and would be enough for a serious penalty.

In some ways the Everton fines and their fans reaction is acting as a catalyst to speeding up the City prosecution.

Forced to sell? on 14:00 - Jan 21 with 1889 viewswrightsrightglove

I don’t really know the intricacies of FFP but we must either be well within the limits or other clubs in the championship must be ignoring it? Non-parachute payment clubs like Stoke and West Brom, Middlesbrough, who all are paying significantly higher wages than we are, don’t get the attendances that we do and don’t get the shirt sales etc that we’ve been getting, how do they manage to stay within FFP?

It’s a genuine question, I’d never want the club to put themselves at risk and I’m sure we’re using every avenue possible but it just seems strange when you see some of the money and wages chucked around in the championship by clubs with small revenue streams than ours.
Forced to sell? on 14:03 - Jan 21 with 1853 viewsMullet

SB

In fairness he has had a hell of an arc this season. Certainly looked like he was getting much of a look in for a long time.

Thought he looked excellent at Stoke.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Forced to sell? on 14:30 - Jan 21 with 1674 viewsReusersTown

SB

Heavy recency bias there.
Forced to sell? on 14:32 - Jan 21 with 1663 viewsVegtablue

Forced to sell? on 14:00 - Jan 21 by wrightsrightglove

I don’t really know the intricacies of FFP but we must either be well within the limits or other clubs in the championship must be ignoring it? Non-parachute payment clubs like Stoke and West Brom, Middlesbrough, who all are paying significantly higher wages than we are, don’t get the attendances that we do and don’t get the shirt sales etc that we’ve been getting, how do they manage to stay within FFP?

It’s a genuine question, I’d never want the club to put themselves at risk and I’m sure we’re using every avenue possible but it just seems strange when you see some of the money and wages chucked around in the championship by clubs with small revenue streams than ours.

Some may be in breach but in other cases it's player sales. Boro made net transfer sales of £15M last season and £2M this season. Stoke made net sales of £17M last season. West Brom made net sales of £9M this season.

I don't think we have metres of headroom tbh, my hunch based on 21/22 accounts and the strikers we've been linked with, but there's clearly money left for fees of £1.5M to be reported.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024