Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious 10:40 - Mar 10 with 32326 viewssmithy69

Awful to read the Cardiff forum and to hear an Ipswich fan (amongst a group of 40) attacked a 70. Year old man leaving him hospitalised. Reading an account from his son of the details it seems truthful.

All teams have knobs following them - but a 70 year old man?

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 21:12 - Mar 10 with 3273 viewsDerryfromBury

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 12:14 - Mar 10 by DJR

Very fair point about enforcement.

Good news to hear the person (70 year old) involved is now home recovering with his family.
Best wishes for a full recovery.

Like others have said most clubs have an element of trouble makers looking for a ruckus, but that's no excuse for setting on a pensioner regardless of what was said between the parties.

We had a good bit of banter with a lot of Cardiff fans whilst waiting for our team bus to arrive, nothing but good old healthy banter, all adds to the fun of an away fixture.
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 21:19 - Mar 10 with 3217 viewsGlasgowBlue

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 20:00 - Mar 10 by Ryorry

“Being difficult”????? Because I gave youa genuinely straight answer to what I THOUGHT was a genuinely straight question?? What the hell’s got into you?

Don’t waste your time on him. I would imagine his only interaction with opposition fans is when he sees them on Sky Sports.

It’s pretty much impossible not to encounter opposition fans when leaving a ground. At Sunderland we were the only two Town fans in blue and white waiting on a crowded platform for the train. It was a sea of Red and white.
[Post edited 10 Mar 21:21]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 21:26 - Mar 10 with 3193 viewsDJR

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 20:31 - Mar 10 by 44_not_out

Probably average around 6 or 7 away matches a season
Mainly train or car
Some helpful advice
I don’t usually wear colours…. Certainly not a shirt over a hoodie
I leave the stadium after the game and walk to car or station
Don’t have much convo or eye contact with any locals and rarely speak to them
Guess what…… in 30 years, never had any bother post match

If we get promoted, some of these wannabes in their fake clobber are in for a shock! Hopefully they might learn a lesson or two

And don’t start me off on the state of their trainers. Proper soccer casuals look after their trainers and certainly don’t wear fake clothes. These kids look like they’ve walked through a field to get to the match

Having seen hooliganism in the 70s, I've never worn colours to away games, and keep a look-out especially at the end of games.

Of course, things were much more dangerous then but even these days it only takes one idiot.
[Post edited 10 Mar 21:27]
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 21:31 - Mar 10 with 3149 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 21:26 - Mar 10 by DJR

Having seen hooliganism in the 70s, I've never worn colours to away games, and keep a look-out especially at the end of games.

Of course, things were much more dangerous then but even these days it only takes one idiot.

What do you wear instead? A GBP450 Paul & Shark number?
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 21:35 - Mar 10 with 3125 viewsDJR

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 21:31 - Mar 10 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

What do you wear instead? A GBP450 Paul & Shark number?

I had to look that up, and no I've never gone for designer clothes.

M&S is about as edgy as I get.
[Post edited 10 Mar 21:35]
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 21:44 - Mar 10 with 3060 views44_not_out

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 21:26 - Mar 10 by DJR

The bottom line is, if you want trouble you can usually find it.

If you don’t want trouble you’re bloody unlucky if it finds you

What makes me laugh, the majority of these kids look like they’d get blown over in a strong breeze.

Good to hear that the guy is ok.

I really hope the culprit/s are found and are duly punished
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 22:12 - Mar 10 with 2968 viewsITFC_Forever

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 20:17 - Mar 10 by gainsboroughblue

One that I've started following recently is 'goal nets and stanchions'. It's glorious.

I think I followed it on the back of a post started on here a couple or so months back.

Yes, I follow that one as well. It’s one of the best football accounts on Facebook.

Unfortunately our bizarre blue nets with the little sticks we inflicted on the game in the mid-90s crop up every so often.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 22:29 - Mar 10 with 2908 viewsFreddy

Hope the elderly man recovers quickly
Login to get fewer ads

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 23:12 - Mar 10 with 2814 viewsGarv

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 10:43 - Mar 10 by smithy69

https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=238294

There's some lines in there are factually incorrect, for example he wasn't out cold before he hit the floor. He was pushed, not punched, and hit his head on the ground.

Doesn't matter I guess. Beyond pathetic from both sides and pretty horrible to watch, he didn't look in a good way at all so it's good to hear he's okay today.
[Post edited 11 Mar 9:56]

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 23:29 - Mar 10 with 2781 viewstractorshark

I said to someone yesterday it felt more like a London away day.
Seemed to be a fair few day trippers, a couple of groups I’d never seen before, which did surprise me given the distance and kick-off time.
The lads behind me definitely fell into that category, acting like it was their first away day of the season. Constant stream of incoherent drunken swearing coupled with limited knowledge of either the game, our players or our tactics.
Maybe they got tickets because other regulars were put off by the logistics of getting there.
I’m not suggesting they were responsible for any trouble though.
I appreciate the last five minutes would have created tension and, in the old days, the police would have held us back, but there’s no excuse for injuring a 70 year old man, regardless of any provocation.
Thankfully, we walked back into the city centre and saw no trouble.
Unfortunately success brings an influx of new or born-again fans and not all of them are welcome.
As for the anti-Welsh chants, the irony of waving a Union Jack as an English symbol appears to be lost on some.
And when 3 of our regular 4-man strikeforce play for Wales, it does sound a little moronic.
Particularly when you consider the rest of the country think we’re sheep sha**ers
[Post edited 10 Mar 23:40]
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 23:32 - Mar 10 with 2763 viewsredrickstuhaart

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 23:12 - Mar 10 by Garv

There's some lines in there are factually incorrect, for example he wasn't out cold before he hit the floor. He was pushed, not punched, and hit his head on the ground.

Doesn't matter I guess. Beyond pathetic from both sides and pretty horrible to watch, he didn't look in a good way at all so it's good to hear he's okay today.
[Post edited 11 Mar 9:56]

If you know this, I assume you have spoken to the police?
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 05:59 - Mar 11 with 2605 viewsblueasfook

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 15:42 - Mar 10 by SitfcB

Crime of the century.

Was it someone near you but not with you Sits?

Hunk trapped in a slob's body.
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 07:00 - Mar 11 with 2534 viewspennblue

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 23:29 - Mar 10 by tractorshark

Seemed to be a fair few day trippers, a couple of groups I’d never seen before, which did surprise me given the distance and kick-off time.
The lads behind me definitely fell into that category, acting like it was their first away day of the season. Constant stream of incoherent drunken swearing coupled with limited knowledge of either the game, our players or our tactics.
Maybe they got tickets because other regulars were put off by the logistics of getting there.
I appreciate the last five minutes would have created tension and, in the old days, the police would have held us back, but there’s no excuse for injuring a 70 year old man, regardless of any provocation.
Unfortunately success brings an influx of new or born-again fans and not all of them are welcome.
As for the anti-Welsh chants, the irony of waving a Union Jack as an English symbol appears to be lost on some.
And when 3 of our regular 4-man strikeforce play for Wales, it does sound a little moronic.
Particularly when you consider the rest of the country think we’re sheep sha**ers

The anti welsh rhetoric was awful. What would Wes, Kieffer and Nathan be thinking? That we are an utter bunch of melts I should think.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 07:12 - Mar 11 with 2511 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 17:17 - Mar 10 by Zx1988

Given the short fuse of a lot of football fans these days, is it acceptable to do something that might jeopardise the safety of others in the coach?

The recent incident at Burnley(?) springs to mind, when the Villa team coach got attacked with bricks.

If you want to act out and try and provoke others, then do it in an environment that won't involve those who want nothing to so with such schoolboy shenanigans.
[Post edited 10 Mar 17:18]

Yeah, if someone bricks a supporters coach it’ll definitely be the coach passengers to blame and not the people doing the bricking

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 07:22 - Mar 11 with 2488 viewsBuhrer

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 07:12 - Mar 11 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Yeah, if someone bricks a supporters coach it’ll definitely be the coach passengers to blame and not the people doing the bricking

What if a 16 year old on the coach done a moonie though? Full cheeks to glass. Steamy bum print left. What if that 16 year old then wrote a rude message in the condensed guff steam? There's a line that's crossed eventually.
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 07:29 - Mar 11 with 2458 viewsDJR

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 23:29 - Mar 10 by tractorshark

Ditto singing God Save the King.
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 08:39 - Mar 11 with 2343 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 15:33 - Mar 10 by Reus30

It's not a defence saying he was gobbing or kicking off first.

Why would you bother throwing a punch these days? The bloke smashes his head, ends up dead, that's your life over!

Agreed. One punch can kill.

Unless you are backed in to a corner and have literally no choice but to swing to defend your life. Just walk away. I'm sure in this instance they could have just walked away from a 70 year old man, regardless of how gobby he was or wasn't.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 08:48 - Mar 11 with 2310 viewsredrickstuhaart

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 08:39 - Mar 11 by TRUE_BLUE123

Agreed. One punch can kill.

Unless you are backed in to a corner and have literally no choice but to swing to defend your life. Just walk away. I'm sure in this instance they could have just walked away from a 70 year old man, regardless of how gobby he was or wasn't.

Which is the point made above. You don't come to be in punching distance of someone supposedly being abusive by accident.
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 09:59 - Mar 11 with 2178 viewsexeterblue10

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 07:29 - Mar 11 by DJR

Ditto singing God Save the King.

The one who used to be Prince of Wales? 🤦‍♂️
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 10:12 - Mar 11 with 2121 viewsSwansea_Blue

It's not solely a success issue. There seems to be an influx of new 'adults' post-Covid that are knobs at pretty much every club I've been to. These would have been kids attending with their families at the back end of the 2010s. Roll on a couple of years with big gaps away from stadia and they've come back in big groups. There've always been kids being kids and people unable to hold their beer at football, but there' been a notable injection of groups of young lads.

Having said that, anger at football seems to be up in general across all age groups. Maybe it's mirroring society in general, I've no idea.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 10:19 - Mar 11 with 2072 viewsDJR

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 10:12 - Mar 11 by Swansea_Blue

It's not solely a success issue. There seems to be an influx of new 'adults' post-Covid that are knobs at pretty much every club I've been to. These would have been kids attending with their families at the back end of the 2010s. Roll on a couple of years with big gaps away from stadia and they've come back in big groups. There've always been kids being kids and people unable to hold their beer at football, but there' been a notable injection of groups of young lads.

Having said that, anger at football seems to be up in general across all age groups. Maybe it's mirroring society in general, I've no idea.

What I would call the more aggressive fans I saw at Cardiff were older than mere young lads, being in their 20s or 30s.

In the ground itself, it sometimes depends where you sit, but I certainly remember lots of angry men around me early on at the Peterborough game last season being particularly abusive to their mascots, no doubt fuelled by drink.

And of course, the lowest point when it came to angry men and a very aggressive atmosphere was the Charlton game just after Cook had left.
[Post edited 11 Mar 10:31]
Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 11:48 - Mar 11 with 1902 viewsRyorry

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 12:59 - Mar 10 by smithy69

I have just sent an account up - so will wait for it to be authorised then post on behalf of us - if that’s ok

I’m the same. Happy to donate to help his recovery etc

Has your account been activated yet Smithy?

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 12:14 - Mar 11 with 1833 viewsRyorry

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 10:19 - Mar 11 by DJR

What I would call the more aggressive fans I saw at Cardiff were older than mere young lads, being in their 20s or 30s.

In the ground itself, it sometimes depends where you sit, but I certainly remember lots of angry men around me early on at the Peterborough game last season being particularly abusive to their mascots, no doubt fuelled by drink.

And of course, the lowest point when it came to angry men and a very aggressive atmosphere was the Charlton game just after Cook had left.
[Post edited 11 Mar 10:31]

"What I would call the more aggressive fans I saw at Cardiff were older than mere young lads, being in their 20s or 30s."

That's backed up by a further comment on their thread approx halfway down p1, along with a link to this thread here, which seems to be appreciated.

"Re: Question: How is the guy on Sloper Road?
Postby GrangeEndStar » Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:42 pm

"Here's the link to the Ipswich forum thread, their disgusted at these cowards who attached a 70 year old man (links to this thread).

"I walked down from Central at midday and there was a bit of trouble amongst themselves on the aware just last M&S. They were pissed wannabees and not youngsters, we could see an argument and I was obviously checking to see if they were picking off a ln City but it was just amongst themselves. A guy went down and had a few kicks but nothing serious. Lots of them walking down to the stadium but quiet as quiet as mice.

I hope someone IDs the two who attacked our 70 year old fan, absolutely cowardly and deserve a leathering and some jail time.

There was some handbags at the top of Sloper near the park with the youngsters but it was broken up as police arrived, I assume this may have been City going after the group of 40 Ipswich above.
'Nail 'em up,' I say. 'Nail some sense into 'em.'

GrangeEndStar

Higher up that page, the 70 yr-old's son states "it was the guy in the black jacket who threw the punch, the guy in the orange top went to kick my dad on the ground luckily I was able to get in the way, that's when I was dragged into a garden by a group of about 8 Ipswich fans and attacked myself"

and also -

"Yes 99% of ipswich fans we spoke to yesterday were brilliant and just there to support there team a fair number actually came over to try and help my dad and it's just a shame the few always try and ruin it for the many, I thanked them for trying to help and hope they beat Leeds to second place".

All clubs have a majority of decent fans & a minority of scumbags - reminds me of real-life wars that the ordinary populations on both sides never want, but which are gung ho'd by a minority of politicians & generals.

*Edited to insert bold/italics.
[Post edited 11 Mar 12:22]

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 12:20 - Mar 11 with 1797 viewsRadlett_blue

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 12:14 - Mar 10 by DJR

Very fair point about enforcement.

Slightly off topic, but an increasing number of flights are having problems with unruly passengers. Often, the miscreants have been drinking alcohol at an airport from early in the morning. Why shoul;d airport bars be able to serve alcohol at such a ridiculous time, apart form the obvious "profit" motive?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 12:27 - Mar 11 with 1758 viewsbluelagos

Very disappointed to hear a 70 year old man was knocked unconscious on 12:20 - Mar 11 by Radlett_blue

Slightly off topic, but an increasing number of flights are having problems with unruly passengers. Often, the miscreants have been drinking alcohol at an airport from early in the morning. Why shoul;d airport bars be able to serve alcohol at such a ridiculous time, apart form the obvious "profit" motive?

Because millions of people use them without any issue at all.

If you want to ban airport bars because some people can't handle their drink and behave like dickheads, would you apply that logic to bars at Portman Rd?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024