Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Journey better than the Destination 06:03 - Apr 20 with 1311 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

If it all goes t*ts up over the next 2-5 weeks, I'm trying to remind myself that:

- I was desperate to escape L1, but don't feel the same about the Championship
- it's not sh*t or bust this season, we will go again in 24/25
- I'll be glad to watch football next season without VAR ruining it
- the journey is better than the destination according to many supporters
- I love our players. Not sure I would feel the same about PL mercenaries.

Despite all this, I'd love it if we're promoted! Almost guarantees that KMc and Leif stay. I also trust that our owners would spend the £££s sensibly.
Journey better than the Destination on 07:06 - Apr 20 with 1187 viewsrodney76

I needs to be accepted that, for the most part, becoming an established PL club is a gradual process that involves investing in youth and the Playford Road facilities and expanding the scouting network than investing in the squad by signing very highly paid players at great cost.

We seem to have built up a very strong management structure in KM and his team in record time. Infrastructure is on the mend, and I am delighted with proposals re: training facilities and youth

I consider it more important that we keep this intact along with investment in youth, than having unrealistic expectations about the club's fortunes in the PL,
[Post edited 20 Apr 7:10]
Journey better than the Destination on 07:30 - Apr 20 with 1119 viewsfranz_tyson

I'm trying not to think too hard about this because these last couple of years might be the best that we will have for a long time. Even if we get promotion.... it might not be the same. I love this group of players as we've all had adventures together in an upward trajectory... but promotion will mean this group splitting up further and it might go sour in the PL. Not worth thinking too hard about as we could easily be languishing mid-table in League One. We just have to enjoy it while it lasts.
I'm completely OK about us not making it to the PL..... apart from one thing and that's the possibility of one certain team getting there instead of us even though we might finish with 15-20 points more.
Journey better than the Destination on 07:49 - Apr 20 with 1076 viewsNthQldITFC

I agree.

I think we will go up, so its less of a backstop for me, but the thought of moving from this superb division into the hyper-corporate, skewed and VAR-ridden one above remains and will remain, unpleasant. That's even if we do well and survive in it. I don't like it at all. But we have to try to go there.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Journey better than the Destination on 08:01 - Apr 20 with 1030 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Journey better than the Destination on 07:49 - Apr 20 by NthQldITFC

I agree.

I think we will go up, so its less of a backstop for me, but the thought of moving from this superb division into the hyper-corporate, skewed and VAR-ridden one above remains and will remain, unpleasant. That's even if we do well and survive in it. I don't like it at all. But we have to try to go there.

I am also far from certain that I want to reach destination Premier League and also know that if we do the enjoyment likely won't match that of the last two seasons. I also know that if we don't make it I will likely be as miserable as sin for most of the Summer.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Journey better than the Destination on 08:07 - Apr 20 with 1012 viewsYppswyche

I don’t get the angst towards VAR when we’ve been on the wrong end of a parade of atrocious referee & assistant ref decisions the past two seasons.. have a little count up of how many extra points we’d likely have now and how much better we’d feel if the likes of Norwich at home & Preston away hadn’t had all those offside goals for starters, not to mention the distinct lack of penalty’s we’ve been awarded. Is it some warped culture politics thing, I mean we’ve never even experienced VAR in a town game have we? Of all the things to worry about I’d say escaping the piss poor quality of EFL refereeing is one of the greatest boons of a possible promotion
Journey better than the Destination on 08:17 - Apr 20 with 967 viewsHackneyblueboy

Journey better than the Destination on 08:07 - Apr 20 by Yppswyche

I don’t get the angst towards VAR when we’ve been on the wrong end of a parade of atrocious referee & assistant ref decisions the past two seasons.. have a little count up of how many extra points we’d likely have now and how much better we’d feel if the likes of Norwich at home & Preston away hadn’t had all those offside goals for starters, not to mention the distinct lack of penalty’s we’ve been awarded. Is it some warped culture politics thing, I mean we’ve never even experienced VAR in a town game have we? Of all the things to worry about I’d say escaping the piss poor quality of EFL refereeing is one of the greatest boons of a possible promotion

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/19/tired-of-the-top-flight-why-fan
Journey better than the Destination on 08:17 - Apr 20 with 962 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/19/tired-of-the-top-flight-why-fan

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Journey better than the Destination on 08:20 - Apr 20 with 954 viewsPendejo

It's still "The Glory Game", which I guess is pretty much the journey as the destination.
Glory being relative to a mid-table L1 finish.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Login to get fewer ads

Journey better than the Destination on 08:36 - Apr 20 with 890 viewsYppswyche

Journey better than the Destination on 08:17 - Apr 20 by Hackneyblueboy

Thanks for the link, but I was only referencing the VAR experience which we as a fan base haven’t even sampled yet. I’d take a season of waiting on regular hiatus’s for remote workers to twiddle their knobs if it meant we beat the Budgies as we deserved to.

Don’t get me wrong, in the wider context of the issue being discussed I’m very much in the ‘Championship is the best & most fun league to be in’ camp, and whilst always wanting Town to win and succeed I’m very much apprehensive about the changes a potential stint in the premier league would bring to the club..
Journey better than the Destination on 08:39 - Apr 20 with 876 viewsFrimleyBlue

Journey better than the Destination on 07:06 - Apr 20 by rodney76

I needs to be accepted that, for the most part, becoming an established PL club is a gradual process that involves investing in youth and the Playford Road facilities and expanding the scouting network than investing in the squad by signing very highly paid players at great cost.

We seem to have built up a very strong management structure in KM and his team in record time. Infrastructure is on the mend, and I am delighted with proposals re: training facilities and youth

I consider it more important that we keep this intact along with investment in youth, than having unrealistic expectations about the club's fortunes in the PL,
[Post edited 20 Apr 7:10]

Lots have been said about what would happen if KM left.

And whilst no it prob wouldn't be easy to go get another KM straight away.. what he has done and his team have done is build a legacy alongside the aims of the new owners. All work being doing at the club KM is involved him. He knows what standards there needs to be off the pitch. On it. And I think this is incredibly important. In the past a managers gone however they've never actually changed for the better whats happening behind the scenes.

We are in a good place. What ashton and co can't do is undo what's been done by bringing in a Keane type in the future. Clearly its all about man management on and off the pitch. Culture. Community. We can't ever have an ego manager again.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Journey better than the Destination on 09:06 - Apr 20 with 794 viewsGarv

We haven't had that many penalties because on the whole we haven't deserved many. Arguably one of the ones we did get wasn't a penalty.

You have to take your own bias out of it and look at the sport as a whole. VAR is totally un-organic and gives a sanitised version of the game. Its constant desire for perfection and not allowing for any kind of human error is tiring. Next time someone misses a tap in from two yards should we review it and award the goal because he 'should' have scored?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Journey better than the Destination on 09:59 - Apr 20 with 654 viewsGuthrum

As the philosopher Lemmy of Kilmister put it:

But seriously, the Prem will be fun, if we take the right approach and attitude. The chance for the team to test itself among the big boys. I reckon we'll be competitive, with a few judicious additions. Forget Burnley, think how we did last time up - and our trajectory is a lot steeper now than it was in 2000.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Journey better than the Destination on 10:03 - Apr 20 with 645 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Journey better than the Destination on 09:06 - Apr 20 by Garv

We haven't had that many penalties because on the whole we haven't deserved many. Arguably one of the ones we did get wasn't a penalty.

You have to take your own bias out of it and look at the sport as a whole. VAR is totally un-organic and gives a sanitised version of the game. Its constant desire for perfection and not allowing for any kind of human error is tiring. Next time someone misses a tap in from two yards should we review it and award the goal because he 'should' have scored?

Not sure you've helped your point with that example. VAR isn't to stop all human error, it's to stop errors by the officials.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Journey better than the Destination on 10:08 - Apr 20 with 626 viewsGuthrum

But people can't bear to wait a couple of minutes for a tricky decision to be resolved correctly.

Yes, they could do it better. For example putting the replays on the now near-universal big screens so the crowd can watch along with the process, same as in international rugby. But, for me, the principle is sound, now we have the technology.

One wonders if it's more pundits don't like it, as fewer wrong calls leave them less to waffle about in the studio. And managers who can't blame the Ref.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Journey better than the Destination on 10:10 - Apr 20 with 605 viewsnodge_blue

Journey better than the Destination on 07:49 - Apr 20 by NthQldITFC

I agree.

I hate to say it, but I can't see us going up this year. I know that's really pessimistic, but Leicesters game in hand, our goal difference and our away games at Hull and Coventry I think will be too much.

But as the OP says the excitement we have had is what it's all about really. Far better than sitting there bored and half the crowd booing the team.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Journey better than the Destination on 10:20 - Apr 20 with 573 viewsYppswyche

Journey better than the Destination on 09:06 - Apr 20 by Garv

I get ya, but football is partisan and I can remember a handful of stonewallers we’ve not received off the top of my head, as well as the single fortunate one in our favour. As can other clubs fans, with differing volumes.

Perfection is never achievable, but progress is inevitable. You can’t be scared of change. Cricket has worked its way towards having a healthy relationship with technology. I have obvious bias as we’re talking about the club we support and I’m giving examples, but you realise you are advocating to stick with the old subjective decision making process over the move towards a new objective process right.. I think we could all offer up some simple common sense tweaks to make VAR looser and more human in nature, and hopefully that will come, this season it seems less intrusive and giving ‘umpires call’ type leeway from what I’ve heard on the radio.

My original point was that this is very low on my list of concerns, compared to how the tsunami of huge money has existential cultural implications on football and potentially our club in the not too distant future (Forest & Bournemouth are in the top 20 clubs in all of Europe for outlay on players over the last 10 years…), removing glaring errors from football matches is only a good thing imho, even if it’s a work in progress.
Journey better than the Destination on 10:28 - Apr 20 with 554 viewsYppswyche

Journey better than the Destination on 10:03 - Apr 20 by The_Flashing_Smile

Not sure you've helped your point with that example. VAR isn't to stop all human error, it's to stop errors by the officials.

I would also add that the biggest complaints people seem to have with VAR is in fact the human error from the officials working the technology.
Journey better than the Destination on 10:32 - Apr 20 with 534 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I agree with all of this apart from the last point. We are not about to sign any players that can be described any more as mercenaries than the ones we already have. Any player that is not looking to further their career in their own interests will not be here. The success of the club is about employing players who have the same objectives as us as a club. Those who will not be what we need will move on but we have built a team ethic and environment that is critical and will not change, even once McKenna move on which he inevitably will. The big question is whether that will persist when Gamechanger moves on.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

KMac staying is reason enough to want promotion on 10:40 - Apr 20 with 507 viewsunstableblue

And whilst I agree the Championship is a great league that I’d be happy to have another season in. The joy of Town at the moment is based on our young, technical and progressive manager. And he wants to try himself in the Premier League sooner rather than later.

I do hope the new training ground, a young family and a buoyant fan base are enough to keep him here in the Championship but may not be enough.

Also I’d say Brighton, Brentford and Fulham fans would say it’s still possible to enjoy the Premier League.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024