Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A blessing in disguise? 09:53 - Apr 23 with 3191 viewsWallingford_Boy

Is this team really ready for the Prem?

Yes we’d clearly invest, but we don’t want to do a forest and buy 20+ players.

Who is really a Prem player?

Davis? Great going forwards, but suspect defensively, especially against Prem wingers.

Morsy? Outstanding at this level, but could he step up, at his age.

Burns, Chaplin, Broadhead all been hot and cold this season, can’t see them making it at the top level.

Hirst? Maybe..

Don’t see many others from our current squad (assuming Hutchison leaves).

And before you moan about negativity, I’m simply being realistic. With this season under our belts, more investment in the summer, McKenna a year wiser, the championship certainly being generally weaker…. Who knows?!

RIP Sir Bobby

A blessing in disguise? on 10:01 - Apr 23 with 2177 viewsEuropablue

Is what a blessing in disguise? A couple of results that don't change the fact that we have our destiny in our own hands?
I think we all have trust that the people in charge will make the right choices. If you asking are we better off not getting 100 million pounds, I'd answer we are not Everton. At worst we will buy a few 3 million pound players that KM will make into 5 million pound players. It's looking likely that Leicester will give other teams a head start, but I have faith that our lads with a few additions and KM in charge will scrape enough points to stay up, I wouldn't be surprised if we finished comfortably midtable.
You can't really tell people not to moan about negativity when you write such a negative and defeatist post when we haven't even lost a match of the 3 that we need to win to get promoted!
A blessing in disguise? on 10:01 - Apr 23 with 2177 viewsDubtractor

What's a blessing in disguise? Have we lost some games and now out of the promotion race?

Genuinely don't understand this determination from some to write off our chances.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

A blessing in disguise? on 10:09 - Apr 23 with 2110 viewshomer_123

Were you one of the ones that were happy to see us get relegated from the Championship?

Why on earth would you not want promotion now?

There are no guarantees that we'll get another chance like this. Who cares whether the squad is ready or not.....it never will be.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A blessing in disguise? on 10:10 - Apr 23 with 2094 viewsbrazil1982

Would we ever be "ready"? - even Leicester, Leeds, Saints will have to invest to stay up, if they go up. It would be very challenging but you would hope there are three or four worse teams than us in that first season - there are six current PL teams I think we are more than capable of beating and that might be enough.
A blessing in disguise? on 10:11 - Apr 23 with 2087 viewsNthQldITFC

Frankly, and with no malice intended, you're being a fanny.

Edit: I'd like to clarify (far too late, sorry Wallingford) that I was only referring to the inference that promotion might have been made unlikely by Leeds' win. We wait to see on how those boys will go in The Premier League, but I wouldn't write any of them off on the basis of what they have achieved so far, and what KMc can bring out.

I don't think there's any need for such a pile on for the OP.
[Post edited 23 Apr 16:48]

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

A blessing in disguise? on 10:13 - Apr 23 with 2065 viewsNthQldITFC

We have three games to win (which we have done seven or more times this season) or fewer. We've just had a lovely rest. I get the nervousness but WGSKM. Come on!

A blessing in disguise? on 10:14 - Apr 23 with 2054 viewsWallingford_Boy

A blessing in disguise? on 10:11 - Apr 23 by NthQldITFC

Frankly, and with no malice intended, you're being a fanny.

Edit: I'd like to clarify (far too late, sorry Wallingford) that I was only referring to the inference that promotion might have been made unlikely by Leeds' win. We wait to see on how those boys will go in The Premier League, but I wouldn't write any of them off on the basis of what they have achieved so far, and what KMc can bring out.

I don't think there's any need for such a pile on for the OP.
[Post edited 23 Apr 16:48]

Oh so predictable responses.

No-one able to actually respond intelligently?

Yes, we aren’t out of it, but I don’t see us doing it now, just my opinion.

So who is Prem capable? Anyone able to respond to the post without slating me?

RIP Sir Bobby

A blessing in disguise? on 10:14 - Apr 23 with 2046 viewsGuthrum

Not so sure it's as drastic as that. Not all Prem teams are ManC, Liverpool and Arsenal. With this squad, we drew with Fulham in pre-season and beat Wolves in the Cup.

Yes, we would need to strengthen. But not change the whole team (I think Forest and Burnley made a mistake in that respect).

Additionally, we have to take the opportunities when they are there. If we go up and come stright back down (by no means certain in my book), then we gat parachute money and can have another go. Yo-yoing gave teams like West Brom the platform for extended stays in the Prem.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

A blessing in disguise? on 10:18 - Apr 23 with 1982 viewshomer_123

A blessing in disguise? on 10:14 - Apr 23 by Wallingford_Boy

I think you miss the point - no one is Prem ready or ever will be. So, why not now?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A blessing in disguise? on 10:18 - Apr 23 with 1970 viewsDubtractor

I'm not slating you, even if I think you're being overly negative.

Someone else covered it, but we'll never be ready for the Premier league, and whenever we go up we'll need some serious recruitment to be competitive. So we may as well do it this year, seeing as we're so close.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

A blessing in disguise? on 10:21 - Apr 23 with 1948 viewsmuccletonjoe

A blessing in disguise? on 10:01 - Apr 23 by Europablue

Is what a blessing in disguise? A couple of results that don't change the fact that we have our destiny in our own hands?
I think we all have trust that the people in charge will make the right choices. If you asking are we better off not getting 100 million pounds, I'd answer we are not Everton. At worst we will buy a few 3 million pound players that KM will make into 5 million pound players. It's looking likely that Leicester will give other teams a head start, but I have faith that our lads with a few additions and KM in charge will scrape enough points to stay up, I wouldn't be surprised if we finished comfortably midtable.
You can't really tell people not to moan about negativity when you write such a negative and defeatist post when we haven't even lost a match of the 3 that we need to win to get promoted!

Quote clearly, if we win those 3 games, we deserve to take our place. If we fall short and go into the next 3 games and fail again. That tells me we need to improve further before we go up.
A blessing in disguise? on 10:23 - Apr 23 with 1921 viewsNthQldITFC

Apologies. But I think your post is implicitly (and strongly) defeatist, and I don't get it. I still feel really bullish. At worst we have to win 3 games, which we are well capable of. I'm actually really excited about the prospect of the final sprint.

Edit: I should clarify that I didn't actually read the bulk of your post and that my response was down to your title and the implied defeatism (which I really don't understand) there. Bit unfair of me to comment thus on that basis I suppose, but you got my dander up a little, old boy.
[Post edited 23 Apr 10:25]

A blessing in disguise? on 10:32 - Apr 23 with 1874 viewsBasuco

Were we ready in 2000? George and Dale plus most of our promotion squad didn't do a bad job of keeping us up.
A blessing in disguise? on 10:36 - Apr 23 with 1835 viewsChurchman

A blessing in disguise? on 10:18 - Apr 23 by homer_123

I think you miss the point - no one is Prem ready or ever will be. So, why not now?

You take the chance when it’s there. Burley’s team wasn’t ’Premier ready’ and look what that did.
A blessing in disguise? on 10:51 - Apr 23 with 1790 viewsbazza

No team that’s promoted is ready for the prem , but if you go up, you were good enough to win promotion, good club management will keep you theee, and by the looks of it, that’s exactly what we have, anyone thinking we will go up and buy even 10+. New players needs a reality check.
A blessing in disguise? on 11:03 - Apr 23 with 1734 viewsBiGDonnie

Tell ya what, you start posting intelligently and we'll respond in kind.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

A blessing in disguise? on 11:06 - Apr 23 with 1711 viewswithyblue

We are much better side than Luton were a year ago.
A blessing in disguise? on 11:32 - Apr 23 with 1616 viewsRobTheMonk

As a professional sportsperson, you should be wanting to go as high as you can. Same with being a fan - you want to be in with the elite.

It brings opportunity, a chance for fans to see genuine world class players with the dream that our band of merrymen battle against the odds.
A blessing in disguise? on 11:48 - Apr 23 with 1568 viewsChorleyBoy

I missed the Ipswich match last night, I was watching Leeds doing to Boro what they did at Portman Road. I honestly thought we weren't playing until Saturday.
A blessing in disguise? on 11:52 - Apr 23 with 1537 viewsHerbivore

Absolute div.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A blessing in disguise? on 11:53 - Apr 23 with 1524 viewsAce_High1

There will never be a better time - we will never have as many points in another Championship season again so we must take the opportunity.

The jump between Championship and PL is massive, no team is ever ready, see Burnley last season.

Much like life you have to take the cards you are dealt, make the most of it and strive to be successful. Whatever team we have, we will need multiple signings to compete, but even spending a year up there will do a lot for the future financial stability of the club and raise our profile.
A blessing in disguise? on 11:54 - Apr 23 with 1520 viewssouthnorfolkblue

A blessing in disguise? on 10:36 - Apr 23 by Churchman

You take the chance when it’s there. Burley’s team wasn’t ’Premier ready’ and look what that did.

Got relegated in the second year and we nearly went out of business 😉

Poll: Our final position

A blessing in disguise? on 11:59 - Apr 23 with 1485 viewsCoastalblue

How can I make a really negative post, but frame a question in it so I can argue that I'm not being negative, and if, or rather, when I'm wrong again I can backtrack?

Who cares if we're ready? As others have said we probably never will be, but going up when we're 'not ready' will provide an income stream which means even should we come straight back down we'll be closer to being ready next time.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

A blessing in disguise? on 12:02 - Apr 23 with 1464 viewsPinewoodblue

Did you feel the same way 24 years ago ?

If so you were wrong then and, if we are promoted. will be wrong again.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

A blessing in disguise? on 12:26 - Apr 23 with 1382 viewsAsa

I think we've learned from 'going down would be a good thing' which you can argue that it was in a way through pure luck of Gamechanger coming in, that you take what you can when you can.

We could easily have ended up being the next Luton or Coventry under Evans and dropping down further. You get promoted and then worry about it, not decide to go up another year.

We are already seeing how tough getting promoted is. We could end up on 95 points or something crazy and miss out. You can't just assume that we will top a near record breaking season in the Championship next year instead and that's before you factor in the risk of losing McKenna, Davis et al.

As for players not being ready? Half of us, myself included, didn't see half the current squad being more than adequate Championship players, let alone potential title winners!

With the cards stacked against us and others and 3 clubs down every seasons with squads miles better on paper and worth 10 x what we can pay without sanctions, we will never be 'ready' in that respect. We can only ever achieve a promotion against the odds in terms of squad value and what the players ability appears to be compared to the clubs we are battling with.
[Post edited 23 Apr 12:28]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024