Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Blackburn 1968 14:09 - May 1 with 1180 viewswoodbridge_blue

Anybody at Portman Road the last time we clinched promotion in the last game of the season ?

Didn't we go an a run similar to last season, something like unbeaten in our last 15 games, inspired by the goals of John O'Rourke?

What were the celebrations like after the game?
Blackburn 1968 on 14:23 - May 1 with 1103 viewsbackwaywhen

Yes I was 12 years old , I lost my shoe in the scramble to get on the pitch after the game ( no such thing as do not go on the pitch ) also my mum was not best pleased lol.
Cliff Richards Congratulations loud and proud on the tannoy …..TWTDu.
Blackburn 1968 on 14:28 - May 1 with 1077 viewsNorrisHatter

I was there aged 12 with my Dad and brother - all Woodbridgeans like yourself (guessing from the name!). A 1-1 versus Blackburn. Full pitch invasion and players carried on supporters backs round the pitch. The only time I've been on the pitch at the end of a promotion season until Nuneaton five years ago. Blackpool came with an amazing run and it had looked like we might not make it until two great away performances, the second against Portsmouth, who were at the top end of the table. The parallels are amazing. Ray Crawford scored that day as I recall.
Blackburn 1968 on 14:34 - May 1 with 1047 viewsnoel

Blackburn 1968 on 14:28 - May 1 by NorrisHatter

I was there aged 12 with my Dad and brother - all Woodbridgeans like yourself (guessing from the name!). A 1-1 versus Blackburn. Full pitch invasion and players carried on supporters backs round the pitch. The only time I've been on the pitch at the end of a promotion season until Nuneaton five years ago. Blackpool came with an amazing run and it had looked like we might not make it until two great away performances, the second against Portsmouth, who were at the top end of the table. The parallels are amazing. Ray Crawford scored that day as I recall.

I was 11 and ran on the pitch with everyone else. What a day that was.
Blackburn 1968 on 14:40 - May 1 with 1006 viewsunbelievablue

Just asked my Dad. Response:

Was put on some strangers shoulders and walked around the pitch like many other kids.
Blackburn played in all red I think. Remember being disappointed they didn’t wear the quartered shirts. Had a big tussle all season with Rodney Marsh’s QPR.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Blackburn 1968 on 14:42 - May 1 with 988 viewsITFC_Forever

Blackburn 1968 on 14:40 - May 1 by unbelievablue

Just asked my Dad. Response:

Was put on some strangers shoulders and walked around the pitch like many other kids.
Blackburn played in all red I think. Remember being disappointed they didn’t wear the quartered shirts. Had a big tussle all season with Rodney Marsh’s QPR.

Blackburn don't play in quarters....

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Blackburn 1968 on 14:47 - May 1 with 949 viewsunbelievablue

Blackburn 1968 on 14:42 - May 1 by ITFC_Forever

Blackburn don't play in quarters....

Yeah assuming he means the half and half shirt.

Le meilleur des mondes possibles
Poll: When booking a reservation at a restaurant/bar, do you give...

Blackburn 1968 on 14:56 - May 1 with 914 viewsNorrisHatter

Blackpool finished third that season with 58 points. The highest ever for a side not in the top two I believe. If Leeds were to draw on Saturday they would equal that unpleasant record pro rata, taking into account the new points system and number of games. Here's hoping!
Blackburn 1968 on 15:22 - May 1 with 840 viewsRadlett_blue

Yes, unbeaten in the last 15 League games & John O'Rourke was an inspired signing, scoring 12 goals in those games after signing from Middlesbrough. McGarry also picked up the excellent Peter Morris for a bargain £12,000 at the same time.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Blackburn 1968 on 15:28 - May 1 with 814 viewsTexacoCup

My first game :)
Blackburn 1968 on 15:28 - May 1 with 814 viewsjungleboy

We were already promoted because of our goal difference by the time of the Blackburn game in 1968. We just needed a point to win the 2nd league and Ray Crawford, as usual, did the business. I bumped into the ref after the game at Ipswich Station and he said "it was a dozy match".

But never forget Billy Baxter RIP. He was club captain and the rock in our defence. He and Ray were the only survivors in 1968 of our incredible team which won the top league in 1962 under Sir Alf.
Blackburn 1968 on 15:32 - May 1 with 785 viewsBlueRaider

Interestingly with 3 points for a win we'd have come third !

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Blackburn 1968 on 15:33 - May 1 with 778 viewsRadlett_blue

Blackburn 1968 on 15:28 - May 1 by jungleboy

We were already promoted because of our goal difference by the time of the Blackburn game in 1968. We just needed a point to win the 2nd league and Ray Crawford, as usual, did the business. I bumped into the ref after the game at Ipswich Station and he said "it was a dozy match".

But never forget Billy Baxter RIP. He was club captain and the rock in our defence. He and Ray were the only survivors in 1968 of our incredible team which won the top league in 1962 under Sir Alf.

Yes, although it was goal average then. You had to feel for Blackpool, who won 3-1 at Huddersfield on the last day & were pipped by QPR, on a tiny fraction of goal average, when QPR won at Aston Villa 2-1 after playing badly & going behind, thanks to a deflection and an own goal.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Blackburn 1968 on 15:47 - May 1 with 728 viewswitchdoctor

I remember it well..we had clinched promotion the week before at Pompey…to ensure a ticket for the last game anyone who attended the reserves that day qualified…when news of our result was announced it was accompanied by Congratulations by Cliff over the tannoy…I reckon it must have been a record crowd for a ressies game….everyone bundled onto the pitch at full time after the Blackburn game…me and a couple of others went one better and ran onto the pitch when we scored and featured on match of the week…or was it the QPR game a couple of weeks earlier?….whenever it was I know I hugged Frank Brogan ….happy memorial…
Blackburn 1968 on 16:07 - May 1 with 689 viewsEatonBlue

I remember it well. I could not get into the North Stand where my friends were and ended up in Churchmans. A great achievement by Bill McGarry, although he left us for Wolves later that year.
Blackburn 1968 on 16:31 - May 1 with 634 viewsoldburian

Yes I was there. At half time a record request for Rodney Marsh, followed of course by boos and then the record was ‘Judy in disguise’ then followed by cheers.

Marsh was not popular after falling over the daisy in the area to get an equalising penalty.
Blackburn 1968 on 16:52 - May 1 with 600 viewsPhilTWTD

Blackburn 1968 on 15:47 - May 1 by witchdoctor

I remember it well..we had clinched promotion the week before at Pompey…to ensure a ticket for the last game anyone who attended the reserves that day qualified…when news of our result was announced it was accompanied by Congratulations by Cliff over the tannoy…I reckon it must have been a record crowd for a ressies game….everyone bundled onto the pitch at full time after the Blackburn game…me and a couple of others went one better and ran onto the pitch when we scored and featured on match of the week…or was it the QPR game a couple of weeks earlier?….whenever it was I know I hugged Frank Brogan ….happy memorial…

I was going to say I thought we'd already won promotion and it was the title we secured on the final day, from previous discussions on here.

So, when were we last promoted at home on the final day, if at all.
Blackburn 1968 on 17:10 - May 1 with 539 viewsmonty_radio

Blackburn 1968 on 15:32 - May 1 by BlueRaider

Interestingly with 3 points for a win we'd have come third !

And with 3 points for a win in 74-75, instead of finishing third behind Derby and Liverpool, we would have pipped Derby to the First Division title via goal average.

.... would have played havoc with the current song plus the three stars though!

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Blackburn 1968 on 18:22 - May 1 with 434 viewsMillsey

Yes me with my Dad and Gordon Fellingham, It was my first game. Didn’t see the celebrations 😞
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024