Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Angry Colchester fans 14:28 - May 8 with 5013 viewsMidlandBlue25

I’ve seen a lot of angry Colchester fans in recent days moaning about Ipswich fans from Colchester. How well supported are we there? Are there more Ipswich fans than Colchester fans in their own town?

Is that why they are so angry all the time, salty seeing Colchester station full of Town fans every other week 🤣🤣
Angry Colchester fans on 14:34 - May 8 with 4117 viewsbluelagos

I went to school in Colchester in the 80s and I reckon it was 90% Ipswich fans back then where I schooled - certainly in terms of going to matches. No idea what it's like now, but fans of a certain age are defo more likely to follow Ipswich.

As an aside I went through Stratford on a match day a couple of weeks back and couldn't believe how many Chelmsford based West Ham fans got on the train. Hundreds of 'em which felt wrong to me - surely we are a better option for the poor deluded souls.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Angry Colchester fans on 14:41 - May 8 with 4040 viewshomer_123

It's a weird thing.

Friday nights at Layer Road followed by Saturdays at Portman Road was a regular for an awful lot of Town fans back in the day.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Angry Colchester fans on 14:44 - May 8 with 3974 viewsITFC_Forever

Angry Colchester fans on 14:34 - May 8 by bluelagos

I went to school in Colchester in the 80s and I reckon it was 90% Ipswich fans back then where I schooled - certainly in terms of going to matches. No idea what it's like now, but fans of a certain age are defo more likely to follow Ipswich.

As an aside I went through Stratford on a match day a couple of weeks back and couldn't believe how many Chelmsford based West Ham fans got on the train. Hundreds of 'em which felt wrong to me - surely we are a better option for the poor deluded souls.

To be fair, the bottom half of Essex has a lot of people who moved out of East London over the years, so from Kelevdon down is always going to be West Ham / other London clubs territory, with a few of ours thrown in for good measure.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Angry Colchester fans on 14:49 - May 8 with 3910 viewsFrimleyBlue

It's why the success of town over a span of 5-10 years could transform it into one of the big 6.

Catchment area for supporters Is wide open really
Whole of East anglia. Essex and then London not that far away.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Angry Colchester fans on 14:53 - May 8 with 3853 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Angry Colchester fans on 14:49 - May 8 by FrimleyBlue

It's why the success of town over a span of 5-10 years could transform it into one of the big 6.

We aren’t going to eat into London teams support, certainly not in the next 5-10 years.

East Anglia is part of the club’s identity- but that’s fine, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, and Essex is a huge catchment area. Hence why a town of 200,000 can sell out in league one, and attract over 55k to a bus parade.
Angry Colchester fans on 14:56 - May 8 with 3805 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Let me think. Not very far between the two towns really.

Ipswich, just promoted to the EPL and on the up.
Colchester, avoided relegation to Non-League football pretty late in the season.

Nope, anyone else know why there might be a lot of Town fans in Colchester?
I for one am shocked!
[Post edited 8 May 14:57]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Angry Colchester fans on 14:56 - May 8 with 3798 viewsGuthrum

Angry Colchester fans on 14:53 - May 8 by SuperKieranMcKenna

We aren’t going to eat into London teams support, certainly not in the next 5-10 years.

East Anglia is part of the club’s identity- but that’s fine, Suffolk, Cambridgeshire, and Essex is a huge catchment area. Hence why a town of 200,000 can sell out in league one, and attract over 55k to a bus parade.

Don't forget the ITFC diaspora. There are people travelling from as far afield as Cornwall for most home games.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Angry Colchester fans on 15:00 - May 8 with 3715 viewsCheltenham_Blue

Angry Colchester fans on 14:56 - May 8 by Guthrum

Don't forget the ITFC diaspora. There are people travelling from as far afield as Cornwall for most home games.

I get pelted with eggs on PE Way as I drive out of Cheltenham for a Ipswich game.
"Why aren't you at Whaddon Road?" they shout.

"Because its sh*t", I mouth from behind my closed windows
[Post edited 8 May 15:03]

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Login to get fewer ads

Angry Colchester fans on 15:04 - May 8 with 3626 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Angry Colchester fans on 14:56 - May 8 by Guthrum

That’s true, but every club has a diaspora to a lesser or greater extent. Very few teams have 3 largely uncontested (in terms of big clubs) counties.
Angry Colchester fans on 15:08 - May 8 with 3562 viewsGuthrum

Angry Colchester fans on 15:00 - May 8 by Cheltenham_Blue

I get pelted with eggs on PE Way as I drive out of Cheltenham for a Ipswich game.
"Why aren't you at Whaddon Road?" they shout.

"Because its sh*t", I mouth from behind my closed windows
[Post edited 8 May 15:03]

Egging seems to be quite a thing around town at the moment. I got done where the High St turns round into Bath Rd the other day.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Angry Colchester fans on 15:09 - May 8 with 3545 viewswkj

One day Col Who will realise they really just don't matter to us like we matter to them

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Angry Colchester fans on 15:15 - May 8 with 3491 viewsEuropablue

You haven't seen a lot of angry Colchester fans because there aren't a lot of Colchester fans!
There probably are more Ipswich fans in Colchester, especially now. I'm from Chelmsford and there were always more Ipswich fans than Chelmsford fans.
It's difficult to say who one should support. I've always considered myself a proper fan. My Dad always drove us past Colchester and we're originally from Southend, so I could have supported them, but we started supporting Ipswich because my Dad was annoyed at having to pay full price for a child ticket at Southend, and he's been watching them ever since.
I represented Ipswich in the playground in Essex for years and never stopped supporting them. I do have family in Suffolk, so maybe I qualify to support Ipswich!
Angry Colchester fans on 15:21 - May 8 with 3414 viewsPrideOfTheEast

But aren’t they a fourth tier club who has been punching above their weight to some extent over the last 20 years or so. I suppose they have a mindset that, because we’ve been so significantly underperforming in that time, they’re somehow not tiny compared with ITFC. Even in that period we’ve used them as a feeder club.

I genuinely could not think of a worse club to support. Nothing place, a ground generally half full at best, sandwiched between us and WHU, etc.
Angry Colchester fans on 15:24 - May 8 with 3351 viewsITFC_Forever

Angry Colchester fans on 15:21 - May 8 by PrideOfTheEast

But aren’t they a fourth tier club who has been punching above their weight to some extent over the last 20 years or so. I suppose they have a mindset that, because we’ve been so significantly underperforming in that time, they’re somehow not tiny compared with ITFC. Even in that period we’ve used them as a feeder club.

I genuinely could not think of a worse club to support. Nothing place, a ground generally half full at best, sandwiched between us and WHU, etc.

If anything, Col U were over performing in the last 20 years - they had several seasons in the Champ, and then many seasons in L1.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Angry Colchester fans on 15:25 - May 8 with 3341 viewsmediamatt

Same here, schooled in Colchester during the 80’s and the vast majority were Town fans although I and many others used to go to Layer Rd on a Friday night for a laugh.
Angry Colchester fans on 15:35 - May 8 with 3201 viewsHighwoodsBlue

The thing is you are what you are. I've lived in Colchester most of my 45 years but just happen to have a Dad who was Ipswich born and bred so I've had a season ticket at PR since the 80s. Could easily have been different I suppose but you can't just change colours because you move 16 miles down the road, that's not how it works.

I actually live very close to the Col U ground and get over there regularly. And I'll probably get over there more next year given the increased number of sill kick-off times in the Prem! And for a club in their position they should be grateful for that.
[Post edited 8 May 15:38]
Angry Colchester fans on 15:46 - May 8 with 3103 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Angry Colchester fans on 14:49 - May 8 by FrimleyBlue

I’m from Braintree- always was a big support here since late 70s - lost a generation- but still a gathering come up on Matchday! 7 from son’s football team are st!
Angry Colchester fans on 15:56 - May 8 with 2998 viewsBluespeed225

Watch their mini hoolies who came to the Stoke match come back when West Ham are here next season. Stoke laughed them back to the station, but they’ll blend in easily with all the Danny Dyer film wannabes. We’ll need extra trains for going down to Stratford, it’ll be interesting even from Ipswich and Felixstowe there’s a fair few who moved up here when the docks expanded in late 60’s. There kids and now grandchildren have been bought up believing all the ‘Academy’ rubbish. I mentioned Bobbys’ bracelet in the Grovesnor during the Coventry game to one who was getting annoying. When Burgess scored he left!
Angry Colchester fans on 16:15 - May 8 with 2851 viewsEdwardStone

Angry Colchester fans on 15:08 - May 8 by Guthrum

Egging seems to be quite a thing around town at the moment. I got done where the High St turns round into Bath Rd the other day.

Being leafy, upmarket Cheltenham....I am assuming that these eggs were free range and organic

I tend to throw insults to those I don't like... being slightly cheaper and therefore a bit easier on the pocket
[Post edited 8 May 20:44]
Angry Colchester fans on 16:43 - May 8 with 2677 viewsmonkeymagic

I’ve lived in Col for the last 30 years. Always been plenty of Town fans around, I’m sure we’d be the most popular club overall : albeit there’s the usual collection of West Ham, Arsenal, Man U, Tottenham etc too. Very little evidence that there’s actually a league Club here. Feel quite sorry for them really, they should be pulling in far more fans and at least be league one but seem to be going backwards if anything.
Angry Colchester fans on 16:48 - May 8 with 2630 viewssolemio

Angry Colchester fans on 16:15 - May 8 by EdwardStone

Being leafy, upmarket Cheltenham....I am assuming that these eggs were free range and organic

I tend to throw insults to those I don't like... being slightly cheaper and therefore a bit easier on the pocket
[Post edited 8 May 20:44]

No, those are the eggs thrown at FGR.
Angry Colchester fans on 17:15 - May 8 with 2489 viewsEuropablue

It makes me sick too, but the reason there are so many West Ham fans in Chelmsford is that they are being pushed out of London and they come to Chelmsford with their knife and gun crime and push up house prices and push out local people.
Angry Colchester fans on 17:19 - May 8 with 2449 viewsOldFart71

No different really to any part of the Country. I lived in a small village as a kid and my best mate was a Man Utd fan. I live in Needham Market and the neighbour across the road is also Man Utd. When I worked in Stowmarket a workmate had a ST at Arsenal. Fans aren't necessarily glory hunters. A few are, but many will go for the most attractive and highest league team that's within their ability to go to matches. I have had digs in Colchester and in Norwich, both of which I attended games at the local clubs. Doesn't mean I supported them but just that I like football. Used to travel to PR from Norwich on a night game.
Angry Colchester fans on 17:25 - May 8 with 2401 viewsHerbivore

Angry Colchester fans on 17:15 - May 8 by Europablue

It makes me sick too, but the reason there are so many West Ham fans in Chelmsford is that they are being pushed out of London and they come to Chelmsford with their knife and gun crime and push up house prices and push out local people.

Sorry, people who have the financial resources to buy property in Chelmsford are moving there from London and bringing gun and knife crime with them into the bargain? This sounds like complete dog whistle bullsh!t, which is no surprise given it's coming from you.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Angry Colchester fans on 18:02 - May 8 with 2254 viewsEdwardStone

Angry Colchester fans on 16:48 - May 8 by solemio

No, those are the eggs thrown at FGR.

No eggs at New Lawn.....

Strickly vegan there.....maybe some blended and emulsified seed oil

Or a turnip
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024