Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes 07:13 - May 13 with 7155 viewsWallingford_Boy

Looked class yesterday.

Bring him home McKenna.

RIP Sir Bobby

Downes on 12:23 - May 14 with 1263 viewstextbackup

Downes on 12:14 - May 14 by Ansty

No thanks.

Stroppy little red card who thinks he is better than he is.

If he was chocolate he’d definitely eat himself

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Downes on 12:39 - May 14 with 1202 viewsNeedhamChris

Downes on 22:20 - May 13 by Pencilpete

Why don’t we give Skuse another year see if he’s improved too - what about Tom Adeyemi ? He must be fit by now 😂

Downes was average at best when he was here and he was average at best when he played against us last month, he can’t get a game for West Ham and has been on loan at a club that finished below us but you want us to splash £10m on him

But I’M being ridiculous

You must have been spewing at the mouth when we brought back Kieffer Moore.

Harry Clarke too.

It's almost like your feelings got hurt because he wanted to move to a club far better than us (at that time)

Poll: Who will Kieran McKenna be managing on 1st August 2024

Downes on 12:52 - May 14 with 1156 viewsSwansea_Blue

Downes on 23:59 - May 13 by BondiBlue

His game has come on a lot tactically and it was really interesting to see how martin uses him. Rarely asks for the ball from the defence but instead focuses on getting in the right position to win second balls in midfield when things break down. Martin's taken his best attribute, his ball-winning, and got him to do only that. There is a bit of me that thinks if nckenna got his hands on him and coached his progressive passing and ball-carrying, he could be a complete midfielder. Still don't think it should be here though.

Yep - he's focused his role right down and it works for him. Whenever I've seen him play since he left us he's often been the best midfielder on the pitch, and I saw a lot of him when he was at Swansea.

He was often good for us too, but given the state we were in towards the end of his time with us it's not surprising he wanted to move on. He obviously had the ability to move up and of course every player is going to want to play at the highest level possible and they have to grab the chance when offered.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Downes on 13:02 - May 14 with 1122 viewsArnieM

He might be a good footballer, and has no doubt improved since he left us . My reservations regarding him is his billy bollox attitude. He even voiced his displeasure at a few Town fans booing him when he returned with Saints to PR . What did he expect, given his throwing of his toys out of his pram and putting his parts on like a spoil brat. I don't think he has the qualities to fit in with this Town squad now, and Id not be happy if he came back and upset the apple cart . No thanks.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Downes on 14:05 - May 14 with 1017 viewsPencilpete

Downes on 12:39 - May 14 by NeedhamChris

You must have been spewing at the mouth when we brought back Kieffer Moore.

Harry Clarke too.

It's almost like your feelings got hurt because he wanted to move to a club far better than us (at that time)

Not at all because Harry Clarke and Kieffer Moore didn't throw their toys out of the pram and refuse to train or play ... you know THEIR JOBS that they get paid for .... in order to force a move

If Downes had been a world beater frustrated at being in an average team then i could possibly understand it even if i didn't agree with it but he wasn't, he was equally as poor as everyone else in that team and did nothing to justify his antics.

Like several others have said on here he's got an attitude, he thinks he's ten times better than he is and i don't want a disruptive influence in whats a good dressing room.

on top of that i still don't think hes even that good now
Downes on 14:11 - May 14 with 989 viewsReusersTown

Downes on 12:52 - May 14 by Swansea_Blue

Yep - he's focused his role right down and it works for him. Whenever I've seen him play since he left us he's often been the best midfielder on the pitch, and I saw a lot of him when he was at Swansea.

He was often good for us too, but given the state we were in towards the end of his time with us it's not surprising he wanted to move on. He obviously had the ability to move up and of course every player is going to want to play at the highest level possible and they have to grab the chance when offered.

Agitated for a move at the very first sign of interest, showing absolutely no respect to the team that brought him through. I also do not get the sentiment of some that he is 'one of our own'. He most definitely is not.
Downes on 14:28 - May 14 with 943 viewsSteve_M

Downes on 12:52 - May 14 by Swansea_Blue

Some people with longer memories may remember than McGoldrick was also very keen to leave when Leicester were in for him on 2014. However, he went on to have the best spell of his Town career over the next six months because Mick McCarthy's man-management was good enough to motivate him despite the lack of that move.

Lambert on the other hand decided to go for the ostracism approach with Downes to the detriment of both player and club. Odd how every one accepts that Lambert was disastrous for the club but some are happy to take his spin on FD.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Downes on 15:15 - May 14 with 880 viewsHerbivore

Downes on 14:28 - May 14 by Steve_M

Some people with longer memories may remember than McGoldrick was also very keen to leave when Leicester were in for him on 2014. However, he went on to have the best spell of his Town career over the next six months because Mick McCarthy's man-management was good enough to motivate him despite the lack of that move.

Lambert on the other hand decided to go for the ostracism approach with Downes to the detriment of both player and club. Odd how every one accepts that Lambert was disastrous for the club but some are happy to take his spin on FD.

See also Mings and Crystal Palace. Nobody should blame Downes for wanting to move, it's frankly ridiculous. I'm a Town fan and under those circumstances I'd also have been saying to the club that I wanted to move on, it would have been a jump of two divisions and leaving a sinking ship for a life changing opportunity. Some of our fans need to grow up and get real.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Downes on 15:56 - May 14 with 844 viewsdirtyboy

Downes on 15:15 - May 14 by Herbivore

See also Mings and Crystal Palace. Nobody should blame Downes for wanting to move, it's frankly ridiculous. I'm a Town fan and under those circumstances I'd also have been saying to the club that I wanted to move on, it would have been a jump of two divisions and leaving a sinking ship for a life changing opportunity. Some of our fans need to grow up and get real.

I think most (read: vast majority) would welcome Downes back.

There's hardly a plethora of posters arguing against it, just a few, which is fine.

Not sure why we think Downes is actually on our list of players to sign? Was there concrete interest before with McKenna and Downes?
Downes on 16:02 - May 14 with 830 viewsrickw

Downes on 15:56 - May 14 by dirtyboy

There's hardly a plethora of posters arguing against it, just a few, which is fine.

Not sure why we think Downes is actually on our list of players to sign? Was there concrete interest before with McKenna and Downes?

I don't think so, think it's just he fits the McKenna profile of midfielder and he's a player we all know and if Southampton don't go up you'd imagine he'll be available

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Downes on 16:02 - May 14 with 830 viewsDanTheMan

Not sure if concrete but I think Phil mentioned we were interested this season, maybe before he went to Soton.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Downes on 16:03 - May 14 with 829 viewsPencilpete

For a potential £10m spend - does Downes provide an improvement on what we already have ? i'd say no.

Also we have to buy players with the view that things may not work out and we come back down and i can imagine Downes would be the first to do a Willy Gnonto and go on strike to get a move like he did before
Downes on 16:11 - May 14 with 797 viewsHerbivore

Downes on 16:03 - May 14 by Pencilpete

For a potential £10m spend - does Downes provide an improvement on what we already have ? i'd say no.

Also we have to buy players with the view that things may not work out and we come back down and i can imagine Downes would be the first to do a Willy Gnonto and go on strike to get a move like he did before

Again, you're being ridiculous.

Downes on 16:49 - May 14 with 738 viewsPencilpete

Downes on 16:11 - May 14 by Herbivore

Again, you're being ridiculous.

Tell me what is ridiculous about that please.

why do you love Downes so much - are you his agent or something ?
Downes on 16:57 - May 14 with 712 viewsHerbivore

Downes on 16:49 - May 14 by Pencilpete

Tell me what is ridiculous about that please.

why do you love Downes so much - are you his agent or something ?

Firstly, he's very clearly an improvement on what we already have. Even if you're still salty about him leaving, you should at least be able to recognise his ability. Secondly, he's literally playing in the Championship this season so the idea he'd throw his toys out of the pram if he was to have to play in the Championship again is rather silly. I don't love Downes and no, I'm not his agent, but he is clearly a very good player and has been one of the standout CMs in the league this season, he's a good age and has Prem experience and will likely be available. Signing him would be good business, I'm not sure who you think we're going to get that's significantly better for a similar cost.

Downes on 17:18 - May 14 with 671 viewsGlasgowBlue

Downes on 16:03 - May 14 by Pencilpete

Of course he does. His age alone is a massive positive compared with Sam and Mas.

No way do Sam and Mas play 30+ games in the Premier League next season. Rotating them with Downes and Taylor would give all 4 plenty of game time and keep the team fresh.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Downes on 19:02 - May 14 with 612 viewsibbleobble

Downes on 14:05 - May 14 by Pencilpete

Not at all because Harry Clarke and Kieffer Moore didn't throw their toys out of the pram and refuse to train or play ... you know THEIR JOBS that they get paid for .... in order to force a move

If Downes had been a world beater frustrated at being in an average team then i could possibly understand it even if i didn't agree with it but he wasn't, he was equally as poor as everyone else in that team and did nothing to justify his antics.

Like several others have said on here he's got an attitude, he thinks he's ten times better than he is and i don't want a disruptive influence in whats a good dressing room.

on top of that i still don't think hes even that good now

He didn’t “refuse to train or play” Petey, he wanted to leave so trained with the under 23’s. Have you got any more made up stories to share?

https://www.twtd.co.uk/amp/news/40856/downes-we-came-to-an-agreement-that-i-want
Downes on 19:57 - May 14 with 571 viewsrickw

Downes on 17:18 - May 14 by GlasgowBlue

Of course he does. His age alone is a massive positive compared with Sam and Mas.

No way do Sam and Mas play 30+ games in the Premier League next season. Rotating them with Downes and Taylor would give all 4 plenty of game time and keep the team fresh.

It's exactly this, most of us will think he's as good or better than Morsy + Lungo and he's 7 years younger.

I don't know what Pete has against him, but in our first L1 season I thought Downes was our standout player and clearly a level above L1, hence why he captained us at just 20.

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Downes on 23:12 - May 14 with 487 viewsPencilpete

Downes on 19:02 - May 14 by ibbleobble

He didn’t “refuse to train or play” Petey, he wanted to leave so trained with the under 23’s. Have you got any more made up stories to share?

https://www.twtd.co.uk/amp/news/40856/downes-we-came-to-an-agreement-that-i-want

Don’t insult me please - I do NOT “make things up”

EADT - 4th September 2020 - Paul Lambert says Flynn Downes asked not to be considered for selection against Bristol Rovers because (and I quote) “he was not in the right frame of mind”

And that continued to be the case for several weeks afterwards

I bet Captain Ego didn’t refuse his pay check during that period

What do I have against him ? First of all he’s not as good as he thinks he is and you lot seem to remember him being …. 99 Appearances 3 Goals.

Secondly, he threw his toys out of the pram and refused to play when we as a club needed him.
He may have had dreadful managers, he may have wanted a move but there is NO excuse for refusing to do the job you’re paid to do - NONE.

He is not the player OR the personality we want or need at our club
Downes on 00:31 - May 15 with 437 viewsWallingford_Boy

Downvoted for that post?

Of all the crap,I’ve posted!

Wow.

RIP Sir Bobby

Downes on 05:23 - May 15 with 398 viewsitfctilidie

Downes on 00:31 - May 15 by Wallingford_Boy

Downvoted for that post?

Of all the crap,I’ve posted!

Wow.

you pay attention to up and down votes? cute
Downes on 05:37 - May 15 with 393 viewsibbleobble

Downes on 23:12 - May 14 by Pencilpete

EADT - 4th September 2020 - Paul Lambert says Flynn Downes asked not to be considered for selection against Bristol Rovers because (and I quote) “he was not in the right frame of mind”

What do I have against him ? First of all he’s not as good as he thinks he is and you lot seem to remember him being …. 99 Appearances 3 Goals.

Secondly, he threw his toys out of the pram and refused to play when we as a club needed him.
He may have had dreadful managers, he may have wanted a move but there is NO excuse for refusing to do the job you’re paid to do - NONE.

I’m not being insulting, I’m simply pointing out that you’re sensationalising a story to amplify your point. Downes didn’t throw his toys out of the pram or refuse anything did he? Not being in “the right frame of mind” reads more like a mental health issue than a belligerent strop.

Downes wanted to leave. Lambert and Cook cut him loose in their own way as he wasn’t committed. It happens. The bottom line is he went on to be very successful and improve as a player.

Not sure why it’s being overlooked that he’d been at the club since he was 7-years old. I can understand wanting a change. When asked the other day, Wolfenden replied he’d been at the club, “too long”, which doesn’t seem to have been picked up. If he handed in a transfer request and wanted some time out would he also be deemed not good enough or a problem?
Downes on 07:15 - May 15 with 345 viewskiwiblue

Strange world where he is rumoured to be paid 32,000 pounds a week and Ryan Fraser 63,000 a week lets hope the players are rewarded by us that got us where we will be in August but contracts given with salary cuts if we come down or they dont play a min of games next season.
Downes on 07:48 - May 15 with 317 viewsHerbivore

Downes on 23:12 - May 14 by Pencilpete

You're being ridiculous. Repeatedly being ridiculous doesn't make it any better.

Downes on 09:57 - May 15 with 256 viewsPencilpete

Downes on 07:48 - May 15 by Herbivore

You're being ridiculous. Repeatedly being ridiculous doesn't make it any better.

Neither does repeatedly saying it's ridiculous ... you can say it until you're blue in the face but you're not propping your argument up with any substance. saying something is ridiculous over and over again IS RIDICULOUS

Downes refused to play for us - that is FACT !

Downes scored 3 times in 99 appearances last time he was he - also a FACT
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024