Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link 23:56 - May 14 with 21793 viewsIllinoisblue

He wouldn’t, would he?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/article/2024/may/14/manchester-united-ponde

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:12 - May 15 with 1163 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:27 - May 15 by StokieBlue

I think this is a pretty naïve way of looking at things.

It would be devastating if he left but the fact you think he would turn down Man United is baffling.

SB

As someone usually so sensible, it's baffling that you know what someone you don't know wants.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:12 - May 15 with 1164 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:31 - May 15 by Herbivore

Agreed, I think some people are being massively unrealistic. If United come calling, there are very few managers who would turn them down and I seriously doubt McKenna is one of them. It's his dream job, you don't say no to your dream job when it's offered.
[Post edited 15 May 8:35]

How do you know what his dream job is?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:13 - May 15 with 1177 viewssoupytwist

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 05:33 - May 15 by DarkBrandon

Managing Burnley for a year in the top flight hasn’t done much for Kompany’s reputation

I think that's a lot to do with the fact (as mentioned on Guardian Football Weekly more than once) that it very much looks like he's not been managing Burnley Football Club.

He's been managing his own career in terms of putting in an extended application for the Man City job post-Guardiola by demonstrating that his style of play would be the continuity option for Man City.

That's turned out badly for Burnley.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:13 - May 15 with 1183 viewsSitfcB

Some twàt on the Pink un comparing him to Paul Lambert… hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

https://forum.pinkun.com/index.php?/topic/156658-mckenna-to-man-u/

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:13 - May 15 with 1169 viewsVic

I’ve also got confidence that MA and the owners will have plan B worked out. there are some good managers available that would see us as an attractive option. Graham Potter would be my pick after what he did at Brighton.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:15 - May 15 with 1142 viewsStokieBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:10 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

Kompany hasn't just jumped two divisions in a row. You're comparing apples with oranges.

Not really, not sure the promotion from L1 to Champ will carry the same weight as the promotion from Champ to PL which both achieved. Both had links to massive clubs and Kompany was most definitely being linked as a future City manager which isn't happening now.

Why don't you go listen to the NTT20 here:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/01oGyTedpigDQREiNqFvDE

They cover it very well.

I think comparing the Man United job to staying at Ipswich is a larger case of comparing apples with oranges.

We all hope it doesn't happen but we also need to be realistic.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:15 - May 15 with 1135 viewsfooters

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:13 - May 15 by SitfcB

Some twàt on the Pink un comparing him to Paul Lambert… hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Er, they're both male humans, I guess? So sort of similar?

Dear old footers KC - Private Counsel to Big Farmer - Liberator of Vichy TWTD
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:17 - May 15 with 1115 viewsFrimleyBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:13 - May 15 by SitfcB

Depends if he goes doesn't it? If he does, then yes he would similar to lambert in respect of getting a double promotion then leaving.. although at the lease lambert gave it a go for one season in the prem itself

who knows, we go through this every window, every break in football.

Davis himself said he 'hopes' mckenna stays, so theres clearly talk behind the scenes about the possibility.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Login to get fewer ads

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:17 - May 15 with 1114 viewsStokieBlue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:12 - May 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

As someone usually so sensible, it's baffling that you know what someone you don't know wants.

OK - since you seem to be in one of those moods today, why don't you provide some examples where a manager from a perceived "lesser" club than Man United has turned down the job.

I suspect it'll be a very short list, probably a list of zero names.

I am trying to be realistic, you are not engaging with the evidence, instead you're saying we can't know his mind but then neither can you so how can you firmly say you don't think he would go?

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:18 - May 15 with 1091 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:52 - May 15 by dirtyboy

McKenna is the type of person who backs himself.

He's not been afraid to move to get to where he wants to be and I don't think Ipswich is by any means his end goal. United probably is and it'll hurt him seeing his boyhood team not dominating.

He'll know in his mind that he could do better with United and would take the opportunity in a heartbeat.

I've said before, but the only thing that possibly keeps him with us in my mind is what his parents did with their hotel.

They took a business and built it over a number of years to become a top hotel, from not very much. Years of effort to create that legacy.

With the backing we appear to have, McKenna may, just may, want to create something like that.

Not just building a football team, but rebuilding a club and looking back on a career with pride in more than just success on the pitch....

The top clubs are just that, top clubs, they won't ever go anywhere, they're too big now, where's the satisfaction in just keeping something big?

It's a long shot, but the only hope I cling to.

It's a very good point... and aligns with my point that nobody actually knows what McKenna wants. Most of the experts on here are projecting what they (and admittedly most other managers) would do. Has anyone actually asked Mr. McKenna wants out of life?

Him being 38 is pretty irrelevant on 09:27 - May 15 with 1009 viewsGarv

Him being 38 is pretty irrelevant on 08:50 - May 15 by Dyland

The bloke is cool as a cucumber.

Sure, it's a different level, but he was in and around that level for years before joining Town.

No one in the corridors of power at Old Trafford will be apportioining any blame to McKenna whatsoever for anything that has happened post Fergusgon.

No you're probably right, but fans will and that will carry a fair bit of weight.

I also think being in and around that level is probably very different when you're the top boss. I think he could do a good job, but not 100% sure they will put that trust in him yet.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:27 - May 15 with 1008 viewssoupytwist

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:20 - May 15 by WestStanderLaLaLa

Think it’s too early to tell what Ratcliffe and Brailsford bring. Ineos haven’t transformed Nice.

Ineos' involvement hasn't done wonders for the British America's Cup challenge either (beyond actually making a challenge happen which was kind of an achievement in itself).

I don't think that the British challenge will be successful this summer either, time will tell.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:29 - May 15 with 977 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:15 - May 15 by StokieBlue

Not really, not sure the promotion from L1 to Champ will carry the same weight as the promotion from Champ to PL which both achieved. Both had links to massive clubs and Kompany was most definitely being linked as a future City manager which isn't happening now.

Why don't you go listen to the NTT20 here:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/01oGyTedpigDQREiNqFvDE

They cover it very well.

I think comparing the Man United job to staying at Ipswich is a larger case of comparing apples with oranges.

We all hope it doesn't happen but we also need to be realistic.

SB

I'm being realistic in that I don't know the guy, so don't know what he wants.

The point about Kompany is he was managing what was a recent prem team back up to the prem, so had far greater resources (and Prem players). Our now Prem team were League 1 players last year. So the chances of us being relegated are necessarily much higher, and why I think McKenna would get a bit more leeway, if common sense were applied.

I don't need to listen to a podcast of people who also don't know what McKenna and his family want from their lives.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:31 - May 15 with 960 viewsitfcjoe

I don't think they would, not at the moment anyway and he prob needs to do something in the PL first before stepping up.

I guess KMs 'choice' is whether he gives this season a go with us and then would be able to step up from there to maybe a top 6/7 club, or whether he takes a mid step to a Brighton this summer and then has to do 2 years there from a higher base before going to the top 6/7 club.

The latter approach probably the safer one, but the slower one

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:33 - May 15 with 896 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:17 - May 15 by StokieBlue

OK - since you seem to be in one of those moods today, why don't you provide some examples where a manager from a perceived "lesser" club than Man United has turned down the job.

I suspect it'll be a very short list, probably a list of zero names.

I am trying to be realistic, you are not engaging with the evidence, instead you're saying we can't know his mind but then neither can you so how can you firmly say you don't think he would go?

SB

I'm not saying he won't turn it down. I'm saying I don't know, I don't know the guy or what he and his family want.

Some of you, despite not knowing him, are very certain.

"so how can you firmly say you don't think he would go?" - you talk about evidence, where have I said this?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:34 - May 15 with 875 viewspennblue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:11 - May 15 by lizzibee

Why do people believe these stories? made up for a bit of sensitisation and re-tweeted because that is what social media says. Would it not be better to listen to is post promotion speech where he said he was sticking and loved it here?

Would love to ignore the stories, but the Guardian is a pretty credible source.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:42 - May 15 with 788 viewsglasso

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 06:22 - May 15 by yorkshireblue

Football moves fast… this time last year Kompany was being looked at by Big Six clubs - according to paper talk anyway. Whilst it might not be the optimum time to join them, if a team of Man Utd statue coming knocking you don’t turn it down, and we’d be naive to think otherwise.

I’d like to see him sign an extension here, with a higher buy-out clause though.

I wonder if that's just more a sign that every time a good manager does well in the Championship, he gets linked to the big clubs.

Decent manager, who did well in the Champ and proved himself, and had links to one of the big 6 clubs... both VK and KM were obvious targets for rumours.
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:42 - May 15 with 789 viewsnodge_blue

It would be devastating if he does go. But if he does goes, it cant be well into June given Utd are in the FA cup final. None of that will be good for our preparations. And then how many of his team go as well? Maybe not as many given Man U have been recruiting several positions.

I am not so sure he would go. He may at 38 still see many years and opportunities ahead. He may also feel a loyalty to the team and want to give it a good go here first.

But without doubt, being a Man U fan and the size of the club it could happen.

If its going to happen, then best its done quick.

How can we / Kieron be trying to attract Omari otherwise?

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:43 - May 15 with 778 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:11 - May 15 by lizzibee

Why do people believe these stories? made up for a bit of sensitisation and re-tweeted because that is what social media says. Would it not be better to listen to is post promotion speech where he said he was sticking and loved it here?

This is as naive as the views that he's definitely off.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:43 - May 15 with 779 viewsDeano69

I am resigned to the fact that at some point he will end up there, but I hope for his sake (and ours) he doesn’t take it now while they are in absolutely shyte state. He still only has 2 and a bit years experience and while his stock is really high it, keeping us up and making us competitive in the toughest league in the world would be great grounding and further proof of his qualities.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:44 - May 15 with 758 viewsglasso

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 07:25 - May 15 by Kieran_Knows

Absolutely mate. I think regardless of how much United are a basket case at the minute, that sort of job doesn’t come round that often, so he’d be stupid not to take it.

I get what you mean about contracts, but I find them a bit pointless these days. It’ll clearly be signed with some sort of compensation package in it and if someone really wants him, regardless of whether he signed the contract 1 day or 1 year ago, they’ll trigger it.

Hopefully it’s all just paper talk!

I mean, it seems like that particular job comes around once every few years...
Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:45 - May 15 with 748 viewsGuthrum

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:31 - May 15 by itfcjoe

I don't think they would, not at the moment anyway and he prob needs to do something in the PL first before stepping up.

I guess KMs 'choice' is whether he gives this season a go with us and then would be able to step up from there to maybe a top 6/7 club, or whether he takes a mid step to a Brighton this summer and then has to do 2 years there from a higher base before going to the top 6/7 club.

I suspect that McKenna has tremendous confidence in his own ability (plus background and experience). You don't get to such senior jobs without that. Moreover, he's either lived or seen very close up all the available options.

It's going to be an equation of specific circumstances, prospects and benefits for each path which guides his decision (should offers be made at this point). He's young and time is very much on his side. Comes across as a very cool head. I very much doubt he will be precipitately leaping one way or the other, snatching at any chance for fear they may not come again.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I think we may have to accept that…. on 09:45 - May 15 with 735 viewsBloots

….his time with us is done.

He is literally the hottest property in management at the moment.

I expect that every PL club other than the top 6 or 7 would have him at (or towards) the top of their list and assuming they are a stable PL club I’d be very surprised if he didn’t accept any offer that came his way.

I doubt he’d get the Utd gig, but he’s obviously fiercely ambitious and he’d be mad to turn down a realistic offer.
[Post edited 15 May 9:46]

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:46 - May 15 with 724 viewsnodge_blue

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:31 - May 15 by itfcjoe

I really don't see him going to Brighton and certainly not Brentford as mentioned yesterday. I think he will either go to a top six club or not at all.

Brighton are only a step away from us and arguably, he would like us to hunt them down and be the next Brighton. I don't even see them as a safe option as they have probably reached their ceiling and its either sideways or down for them.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 09:47 - May 15 with 700 viewsReusersTown

Guardian reporting McKenna to Man Utd link on 08:10 - May 15 by Herbivore

Anyone who thinks he'd turn it down if offered isn't being remotely realistic. If they decide they want him, he'll go. It's a fantastic opportunity at a giant of a club that he's worked at before and is a lifelong fan of. It doesn't matter that the time isn't ideal with them needing an overhaul and being a mess, you can't turn down this kind of opportunity.

"you can't turn down this kind of opportunity".... but you can.
[Post edited 15 May 10:22]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024