Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
When I was at uni between 2010-2013 22:56 - May 18 with 1870 viewsBlueastheycome

I struck up a friendship with a lad from south London who was a big Crystal Palace fan. In fact, he was an original member of the ‘Holmesdale Fanatics’, and him and his band of merry Palace men are undoubtedly the original driving force behind the so called ‘ultras’ scene going on at football clubs up and down the country in more recent times.

Anyway, I digress.

I got very friendly with this lad, and we ended up living together for 2 out of the 3 years whilst at university. He was quite a quiet but cool lad, who had a penchant for very left wing politics, dubstep and the ole Bob Marley.

Whilst living together at uni together, the fortunes of our respective football teams were quite closely entwined. We both supported respectable and proud but mid table championship football teams, and we often mused together (usually over a wacky backy fag at 2pm in the afternoon) about the fortunes of our football clubs. We felt very much in synch with one another. Ultimately, we were bonded by the deprivation our clubs frequently bestowed upon us, and as clubs, we felt that they were not doing themselves justice.

Fast forward 11 years, I caught up with him again recently.

In that time, we have not been premier league.

In that time, they have been premier league for 11 years.

He hates it. He hates everything about it. Doesn’t get joy from it, hates the way the club is run and is frustrated they haven’t kicked on in the same way that Brighton have. He is giving up his season ticket up next season… yes.. giving his season ticket up based on 11 years in the prem.

I found myself scratching my head, as if I had a crystal ball back in 2013 and described to him a situation whereby palace would spend 11 years uninterrupted in the prem, he would have laughed and asked me what I had been smoking.

So the moral of the story,… and as I have been typing, I’ve actually forgotten the original moral of the story cause I have a few beers and smoked a lovely fat Cuban cigar, is that that the Huddersfield game and day could be the best it ever gets, whatever happens next season or in 5 or 11 years, so enjoy it, savour it, and up the Town xxxxx
[Post edited 18 May 23:10]
When I was at uni between 2010-2013 on 23:15 - May 18 with 1713 viewsSitfcB

Palace are playing their best football in years under this new manager apparently, he could be making a mistake giving that up!

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

When I was at uni between 2010-2013 on 23:55 - May 18 with 1570 viewsParisBlue

Whilst boring my work colleagues a few months ago about the miracle of Ipswich and McKenna I was asked about realistic ambitions and whether it was suggested it should be mid-table premier league year on year.

To which I replied dismissively "so...you're asking if we want to be Crystal Palace?". And we both groaned.

I'm expecting that 2x promotions and the successful journey to the PL will be the best bit. I'll enjoy the PL experience, it'll be different, we'll have good days and bad days, probably have to get used to losing games again and the odd hammering.Realistically our objective will be to stay in the league, and ifbwe do then it'll be the same the year afte, as it is for all the teams bar the massive 6.

Thats modern football, but whatever happens next season, we'll still be in a much better place than we were, ownership, training ground, stadium, full houses, the foundation and community/charity work etc. And the memories and experience of the last 2 years...priceless...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

When I was at uni between 2010-2013 on 07:56 - May 19 with 1115 viewsMVBlue

I do really enjoy this sort of post on TWTD real life stories.

Palace snuck into the playoffs and the rest is history.
Since then they've killed Liverpools title hopes, upset Arsenal more than once, enjoyed Wilfred Zaha. They've had manager merry go-rounds yes, but I can't see why a fan would get jaded. But just goes to show that the celebrations and amazing year we had may not be something we can expect, and yes we could get jaded eventually, but not for a long time I dont imagine and not enough to have that kind of reaction.

Poll: Whats the best league to watch outside of England?

When I was at uni between 2010-2013 on 09:01 - May 19 with 909 viewstextbackup

When I was at uni between 2010-2013 on 23:55 - May 18 by ParisBlue

Whilst boring my work colleagues a few months ago about the miracle of Ipswich and McKenna I was asked about realistic ambitions and whether it was suggested it should be mid-table premier league year on year.

To which I replied dismissively "so...you're asking if we want to be Crystal Palace?". And we both groaned.

I'm expecting that 2x promotions and the successful journey to the PL will be the best bit. I'll enjoy the PL experience, it'll be different, we'll have good days and bad days, probably have to get used to losing games again and the odd hammering.Realistically our objective will be to stay in the league, and ifbwe do then it'll be the same the year afte, as it is for all the teams bar the massive 6.

Thats modern football, but whatever happens next season, we'll still be in a much better place than we were, ownership, training ground, stadium, full houses, the foundation and community/charity work etc. And the memories and experience of the last 2 years...priceless...

It’s mad really isn’t it, right now we are in a panic over KM leaving us… fast forward 5 years, he’s had us finishing 17th 5 years in a row… I could bet my life that there will be multiple people calling for his head.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

When I was at uni between 2010-2013 on 09:03 - May 19 with 896 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Have palace done anything in the cups? If they haven’t then other than fairly frequent relegation battles they have led a very mid table existence presumably, so you can see why that might get dull when compared to promotion winning seasons for example.

Think it encourages a mindset of enjoying the quality of football in front of you. Losing 7-0 at home to Liverpool next season won’t be massively enjoyable but we’ll all take it as the short-term memory of losing at home to Swindon will exist for a little while yet.

Edit - I see they got to the fa cup final in 2016
[Post edited 19 May 9:04]
When I was at uni between 2010-2013 on 09:06 - May 19 with 865 viewsEireannach_gorm

When I was at uni between 2010-2013 on 09:55 - May 19 with 739 viewsmonty_radio

When I was at uni between 2010-2013 on 09:06 - May 19 by Eireannach_gorm

In that case - to quote the ubiquitous wise and hopeful child: "are we there yet?"

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

When I was at uni between 2010-2013 on 21:10 - May 20 with 323 viewsBlueastheycome

Blimey.

It’s only been two days.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024