Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we too reliant on one man? 15:31 - May 21 with 1719 viewsHeathlander

Hopefully he's not going anywhere. But my worry is the way we play. It's fantastic, innovative, exciting, cutting and pretty blooming brilliant.

This is down to KMcK and what he has installed into this beautiful team of ours. It's made in his own vision and perhaps only works with him at the helm. We need him so badly for next season. A new man would come in and want to stamp his own philosophy on the team. I think this may break the magic and the carriage turns back into a pumpkin.

Long live the magic man.
Are we too reliant on one man? on 15:36 - May 21 with 1649 viewsitfcjoe

It's impossible not to be when you have someone so good - you just have to try and build the club around him with the extra resource his fantastic management brings.

Our injury record has been exemplary the last couple of years and this will be down to the performance team who won't come cheap, a lot of analysis will have learned from KMc and will stay in place if he were to go

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Are we too reliant on one man? on 15:37 - May 21 with 1619 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes. But I haven’t worked out whether that one man is Phil, Gav or Mark

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Are we too reliant on one man? on 15:37 - May 21 with 1621 viewsHelp

Is that not how managers work in football.
Are we too reliant on one man? on 15:40 - May 21 with 1576 viewsSteve_M

We are far less reliant on one man than at any point in the recent past, the infrastructure at the club is being built up regardless of who the first team manager is.

Where McKenna has been exceptional is in the speed of growth of the team on the pitch. Any competent manager would have had us promoted out of the third division by now with the budget we had but to maintain that and better two strong teams with parachute payments to get 96 points in the Championship is exceptional.

Any new manager will be appointed with the intention of building on what McK has achieved, we need to strengthen the squad but there should be none of the ludicrousness of the Summers of 2018 and 2021 when a massive turnover of players undermined any sense of stabilty.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Are we too reliant on one man? on 15:45 - May 21 with 1509 viewsMookamoo

The blueprint and expectation has been reset. Even if he were to go, the legacy of the last couple of years will be felt for a good few years.

We will reap the rewards of getting Cat 1 status, the training ground etc long after he has gone onto pastures new.
Are we too reliant on one man? on 15:47 - May 21 with 1465 viewshadleighboyblue

Agree .

If KM were to go , he would likely take his coaching team with him , so the players would have to adapt to a totally different view from the new manager on how we should play ,

KM staying would attract players to sign or come on loan , Omari for example !
Are we too reliant on one man? on 15:52 - May 21 with 1416 viewsnrb1985

There is an alternative universe, which I've unfortunately had to consider in the last day or two, whereby KM leaves and is replaced by a more pragmatic coach who keeps us in the league.

Under KM, there is very real chance that we do a Burnley and end up trying to out football better teams and come unstuck. Think Leeds away!

The only criticism you could have of KM is that he sticks rigidly to his principles and formation. That has served us incredibly well so far but next season, in said alternative reality, we may be better served with slightly more variety in shape and also style.

Caveat - I, like everyone else, obviously desperately want him to stay though.
[Post edited 21 May 16:18]
Are we too reliant on one man? on 16:00 - May 21 with 1339 viewsReusersTown

I would say that we won't know until the sad day comes and see who Ashton is able to appoint. Seeing his list of previous appointments doesnt fill me with confidence though. The only thing I would possibly challenge is innovation at this level being one of his strengths as the playing style is very PL. I would say his ability to adapt our playing style to needs is his biggest asset and that tactical mastery is what marks him out fron the others.
Login to get fewer ads

Are we too reliant on one man? on 16:03 - May 21 with 1294 viewsVic

Are we too reliant on one man? on 15:52 - May 21 by nrb1985

There is an alternative universe, which I've unfortunately had to consider in the last day or two, whereby KM leaves and is replaced by a more pragmatic coach who keeps us in the league.

Under KM, there is very real chance that we do a Burnley and end up trying to out football better teams and come unstuck. Think Leeds away!

The only criticism you could have of KM is that he sticks rigidly to his principles and formation. That has served us incredibly well so far but next season, in said alternative reality, we may be better served with slightly more variety in shape and also style.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Much as I'm incredibly grateful for what KM has done and his style of play, he's not the only manager capable of keeping us in the Prem. If the worst comes to the worst this will be where we really see what MA and his fellow decision makers at the club are really made of. Is this just a one off fluke or have they done their homework and got a plan b up their sleeve?

I think it will be the latter, and i don;t expect it to be the Luton guy - nice though he is. We'll be cuter than that and get someone with a proven track record. Potter will be that man.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Are we too reliant on one man? on 16:15 - May 21 with 1199 viewsnrb1985

Are we too reliant on one man? on 16:03 - May 21 by Vic

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Much as I'm incredibly grateful for what KM has done and his style of play, he's not the only manager capable of keeping us in the Prem. If the worst comes to the worst this will be where we really see what MA and his fellow decision makers at the club are really made of. Is this just a one off fluke or have they done their homework and got a plan b up their sleeve?

I think it will be the latter, and i don;t expect it to be the Luton guy - nice though he is. We'll be cuter than that and get someone with a proven track record. Potter will be that man.

I said this in Joe's thread earlier (obviously lost in the ensuing 14 pages!) but I hope re MA that his data dashboard doesn't just have the rather uninspiring names on it Joe put up.

We should look to find an Iraola or Glassner ideally.

Only Potter from Joe's list excited me and there's as much chance I'll be the next manager as there is it being Potter.
Are we too reliant on one man? on 16:26 - May 21 with 1144 viewsReusersTown

Re; the tactical rigidity and inflexibility you've suggested, that just doesn't ring true. If anything he is the complate opposite! and his ability to tinker the formula is one of his main strengths, both generally and in-match. You only have to look at our shift in possession from L1 to the Championship, or even pre and post Bristol Rovers in L1
Are we too reliant on one man? on 16:27 - May 21 with 1135 viewshoppy

Are we too reliant on one man? on 15:37 - May 21 by Swansea_Blue

Yes. But I haven’t worked out whether that one man is Phil, Gav or Mark

Mark.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Are we too reliant on one man? on 18:42 - May 21 with 907 viewsRIPbobby

I would be more worried about losing Ashton. If he goes maybe KM will follow. They will both stay so stop worrying all.
Are we too reliant on one man? on 09:38 - May 22 with 645 viewsGuthrum

Thing is, like an orchestra can flawlessly reproduce brilliant and innovative music with added improvisation from the soloists, if we can find the right people, then the McKenna system can continue and grow at Ipswich. Especially with the players, who know how it's done, still at the club.

I don't think we are any more in a situation of looking at lower-division stalwarts, safe(ish) old hands who have their own, rigid way of doing things. As a Prem club, we have a far wider pool of talent and brains to pick from.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are we too reliant on one man? on 09:41 - May 22 with 622 viewsElderGrizzly

Are we too reliant on one man? on 15:40 - May 21 by Steve_M

We are far less reliant on one man than at any point in the recent past, the infrastructure at the club is being built up regardless of who the first team manager is.

Where McKenna has been exceptional is in the speed of growth of the team on the pitch. Any competent manager would have had us promoted out of the third division by now with the budget we had but to maintain that and better two strong teams with parachute payments to get 96 points in the Championship is exceptional.

Any new manager will be appointed with the intention of building on what McK has achieved, we need to strengthen the squad but there should be none of the ludicrousness of the Summers of 2018 and 2021 when a massive turnover of players undermined any sense of stabilty.

Agree, we aren't dependent on one man but more like the entire team he has built up around him. And if he goes, that entire first team coaching/conditioning team probably does too.

The infrastructure around them is great, the board support is great, but there is a huge amount on the people here too and it will be difficult to replace
Are we too reliant on one man? on 09:56 - May 22 with 579 viewsGuthrum

Are we too reliant on one man? on 18:42 - May 21 by RIPbobby

I would be more worried about losing Ashton. If he goes maybe KM will follow. They will both stay so stop worrying all.

I think we're much less likely to lose Ashton, because of the O'Leary connection. Plus we seem to be the first set of fans who've really taken to him.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Are we too reliant on one man? on 09:59 - May 22 with 557 viewspointofblue

Despite how brilliant he’s been, we’re not as reliant on McKenna now as we were on Mick during Evans’ reign. For all the criticism, he was keeping the club together on spit and sawdust. There is now a team in place.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Are we too reliant on one man? on 10:04 - May 22 with 532 viewsthebooks

Hmm, I’m not sure I’d describe KM as “rigid” in his approach. In fact I’d say since Sheff Wed at home in L1 he’s been very flexible, even if the formation is broadly speaking a hybrid 4231/3241 or whatever.

We can play short/long/a combination of both, keep possession or start hitting long balls to our striker/Burns, or even shallow, medium length balls into Kieffer Moore when he drops deep. And like I say, the formation flexes a lot.

I guess the only constant is the willingness to take risks. I can’t ever see us parking the bus.
Are we too reliant on one man? on 10:26 - May 22 with 469 viewsSteve_M

Are we too reliant on one man? on 09:41 - May 22 by ElderGrizzly

Agree, we aren't dependent on one man but more like the entire team he has built up around him. And if he goes, that entire first team coaching/conditioning team probably does too.

The infrastructure around them is great, the board support is great, but there is a huge amount on the people here too and it will be difficult to replace

Yes, it's going to be a massive wrench - and now would probably be the worst possible timing - just that not quite as much is dependent on the manager as used to be the case here.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024