Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker 10:22 - Mar 21 with 4937 viewscolchesterchris

Hi Phil,

You said to keep you informed - you got my hopes up twice on this one by suggesting it was an oversight (not your fault I know - but it appears not).

This is the response I got from my Mature Student email - he looks senior enough to take his word on it :(

That's me gone for next year, such utter contempt.

Dear Chris,

Thank you for your email

Prior to the launch of the 2017/18 Season Ticket campaign, the club undertook a full review of our pricing structures and have made some changes to our age categories moving forward. We have restructured all concessionary price bands, these new price bands ensure that the Club falls in line with the standard and majority age range for full-time and further education and align more closely with the state retirement age for senior citizens.

Unfortunately this does mean as part of these changes the club will no longer be offering a Student concession rate on our ticketing products. This move will also simplify the qualifying criteria for concessionary ticket, basing it solely on age rather than a status which can be difficult to provide evidence of at Season Ticket renewal stage and is also a status that can change during the football season.

We are sorry to learn that these changes will adversely affect you, however as explained these changes have been made as part of a wider review and therefore a student rate will not be included in the new seasons pricing structure.

Kind regards

James Hacker| Assistant Head of Ticketing
[Post edited 21 Mar 2017 10:23]

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:25 - Mar 21 with 3074 viewsBrettenhamBlue

i have no idea how many students regularly go, but that will be the end for most of them I'd think.

MMcCarthyisaGod
Poll: Favourite ITFC victory of 2018?

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:31 - Mar 21 with 3049 viewsPhilTWTD

Sorry for getting your hopes up, it was suggested to me that it was something which had been overlooked when they addressed ticketing and that it might be an area which they would look at again. I highlighted the issue to the Supporters Club at the end of last week as an issue they might lobby the club about. Clearly it's a daft situation as mature students are in most cases are simply not going to be able to afford season tickets at the full price.
FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:32 - Mar 21 with 3026 viewshoppy

I keep seeing the phrase "to ensure that the Club falls in line..." or, as everybody else is, we have to do the same... (as per the changing kit every season reasoning as well)... well, how about the Huddersfield example that keeps getting used, or others that have been a bit more creative and individual in their approach? They've not worried about 'falling in line' - they've taken the idea of how they can best increase the number of fans going to watch them and tailored their pricing accordingly, and in the main, this has been a successful approach, that is also helping on the pitch too. Would that have been the case if they'd just 'fallen in line with everybody else'?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:36 - Mar 21 with 2991 viewsScuzzer

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:32 - Mar 21 by hoppy

I keep seeing the phrase "to ensure that the Club falls in line..." or, as everybody else is, we have to do the same... (as per the changing kit every season reasoning as well)... well, how about the Huddersfield example that keeps getting used, or others that have been a bit more creative and individual in their approach? They've not worried about 'falling in line' - they've taken the idea of how they can best increase the number of fans going to watch them and tailored their pricing accordingly, and in the main, this has been a successful approach, that is also helping on the pitch too. Would that have been the case if they'd just 'fallen in line with everybody else'?

Well I guest it must be a legal requirement for them to 'fall in line'. Bah humbug, they can do exactly what they want to do. Utter bullshine.

Established 1968

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:44 - Mar 21 with 2946 viewscolchesterchris

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:31 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

Sorry for getting your hopes up, it was suggested to me that it was something which had been overlooked when they addressed ticketing and that it might be an area which they would look at again. I highlighted the issue to the Supporters Club at the end of last week as an issue they might lobby the club about. Clearly it's a daft situation as mature students are in most cases are simply not going to be able to afford season tickets at the full price.

No worries, that was more tongue in cheek, it does seem daft to me. I've not been going as long as others (this is my 4th season), but I decided to do a degree so I can teach in the future and the student price kept me going, as I'm 28.

The sad thing is, in two years I'd have finished and happily upgraded to an adult price, but they'll probably lose me longer term now as I'm going to look into coaching/reffing on a Saturday instead. So for the sake of £168 each year until I finish, they've lost me completely. Such a false economy.

just thought I'd share the response in case it comes up again.

Poll: Hypothetically, we have £1M for January. What would you rather?

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:51 - Mar 21 with 2890 viewsPhilTWTD

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:44 - Mar 21 by colchesterchris

No worries, that was more tongue in cheek, it does seem daft to me. I've not been going as long as others (this is my 4th season), but I decided to do a degree so I can teach in the future and the student price kept me going, as I'm 28.

The sad thing is, in two years I'd have finished and happily upgraded to an adult price, but they'll probably lose me longer term now as I'm going to look into coaching/reffing on a Saturday instead. So for the sake of £168 each year until I finish, they've lost me completely. Such a false economy.

just thought I'd share the response in case it comes up again.

Indeed, that is the issue. They're making season tickets prohibitively expensive - students largely simply won't be able to afford adult tickets - which ultimately won't just impact on this season but many, many seasons to come.
FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:00 - Mar 21 with 2819 viewsSteve_M

Double post
[Post edited 21 Mar 2017 11:02]

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:00 - Mar 21 with 2821 viewsSteve_M

He needed Sir Humphrey to write it for him.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:01 - Mar 21 with 2833 viewsSomethingBlue

Scrapping the student rate is absolute madness — particularly with the town's university growing (as far as I can tell) in stature. Exactly the opposite of what should be happening. It's just so exasperating.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:06 - Mar 21 with 2778 viewsdavblue

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:51 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

Indeed, that is the issue. They're making season tickets prohibitively expensive - students largely simply won't be able to afford adult tickets - which ultimately won't just impact on this season but many, many seasons to come.

Phil I appreciate you can't go both barrels but the club is a shambles at the moment isn't it?

It's dying on its arse currently, even if we replace Mick with a really good manager they will just be papering over the craks for a while again. If Evans hasn't got how to run a club by now he never will, its very disconcerting at the mo.
FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:06 - Mar 21 with 2782 viewsPhilTWTD

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:51 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

Further to this, I wonder whether it's something the NUS at the university might look to take up with the club.
FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:08 - Mar 21 with 2738 viewshype313

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:06 - Mar 21 by davblue

Phil I appreciate you can't go both barrels but the club is a shambles at the moment isn't it?

It's dying on its arse currently, even if we replace Mick with a really good manager they will just be papering over the craks for a while again. If Evans hasn't got how to run a club by now he never will, its very disconcerting at the mo.

It's pure greed. nothing else, at least people are starting to see Evans and the regime for what it is.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:10 - Mar 21 with 2703 viewsolimar

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:25 - Mar 21 by BrettenhamBlue

i have no idea how many students regularly go, but that will be the end for most of them I'd think.

Isnt this solely affecting students over the age of 23? Because they get the concessionary rate due to their age otherwise. Its still appalling, but not sure it affects all students.

That said, id bet the U23 rate is still higher than the previous student rate.
FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:12 - Mar 21 with 2693 viewstheblueginger

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 10:31 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

When back from Uni I go to several games e.g. games in August, Boxing Day, New Year and over Easter. I would normally pay about £5 less than a full adult ticket. The irony of spinning the 'falling into line' argument is most other clubs in the league still run discounts for students, both season and individual tickets.
FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:20 - Mar 21 with 2666 viewsPhilTWTD

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:08 - Mar 21 by hype313

It's pure greed. nothing else, at least people are starting to see Evans and the regime for what it is.

Not sure how it can be greed given the not insignificant losses the club makes most seasons. It's not a Blackpool type situation by any stretch of the imagination.

Clearly ME has misjudged the mood spectacularly re ticket pricing at a time when there is massive dissatisfaction with form, the manager, style of football etc, and has also scored some unnecessary stupid own goals re 60-65, mature students.

More than anything I think ME has failed to adjust to a massively changed division over the last year, two years, believing that MM will be able to overperform year in, year out as he did in previous seasons - I'm talking league position-wise rather style of football - but in even tougher conditions. Eventually we were going to have a season like this, which as it stands I would say, league position to wages, is about par.
FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:24 - Mar 21 with 2624 viewsIllinoisblue

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:20 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

Not sure how it can be greed given the not insignificant losses the club makes most seasons. It's not a Blackpool type situation by any stretch of the imagination.

Clearly ME has misjudged the mood spectacularly re ticket pricing at a time when there is massive dissatisfaction with form, the manager, style of football etc, and has also scored some unnecessary stupid own goals re 60-65, mature students.

More than anything I think ME has failed to adjust to a massively changed division over the last year, two years, believing that MM will be able to overperform year in, year out as he did in previous seasons - I'm talking league position-wise rather style of football - but in even tougher conditions. Eventually we were going to have a season like this, which as it stands I would say, league position to wages, is about par.

indeed. it's not greed it's sheer incompetence and lack of attention that's the root cause of our downfall. If we don't go down this season, we'll only struggle again next season. The outlook for ITFC is bleak. Something very drastic needs to happen.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:29 - Mar 21 with 2607 viewsPhilTWTD

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:24 - Mar 21 by Illinoisblue

indeed. it's not greed it's sheer incompetence and lack of attention that's the root cause of our downfall. If we don't go down this season, we'll only struggle again next season. The outlook for ITFC is bleak. Something very drastic needs to happen.

Unfortunately, I think that will be the case, I have done for a while since parachute payments increased to silly levels which have distorted the division.

And not just for us but any established Championship club where the owner isn't prepared/can't afford to stick in £20m every season. For what it's worth, if they don't go up this year or next year Norwich may well be in a similar boat.
FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:31 - Mar 21 with 2594 viewsPinewoodblue

There is schoolboy error In the response you received. it is age and status on a given date that matters next season that date is 10th August. For example if you are 23 on 11th you get the lower priced ticket.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:33 - Mar 21 with 2573 viewshype313

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:20 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

I'm sorry Phil but it is, as you say they face significant losses annually which is fine when we can sell a player each season to cover the shortfall, but when we can't the club then look elsewhere to cover the shortfall, which on the shoulders of the fans.

We have some of the highest prices in the league, yet we don't have the investment into the squad to replicate those high prices. You can't keep milking the cash cow.

A key point for me is if the party line "is we have to cover the annual losses somehow" then why not sell the club? Surely if your'e not prepared to go the extra mile then why not let someone else come in and have a go. Otherwise what's the point of him owning us?

Or is it the case where he has told us he has had lots of buyers absolute nonsense?

Facters isn't the only long standing ST holder taking the view that they won't return until regime change.

Really quite bad times, I'm not sure it can be sugarcoated.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:36 - Mar 21 with 2551 viewsLord_Lucan

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:01 - Mar 21 by SomethingBlue

Scrapping the student rate is absolute madness — particularly with the town's university growing (as far as I can tell) in stature. Exactly the opposite of what should be happening. It's just so exasperating.

Exasperating and embarrassing. My club is dead.

Rotten to the core.

However, even if I go I will come back and will be there when ME and his cronies have gone. I will have my day in the sunshine and and I will see my team win something before I die. This is my remaining life ambition.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:38 - Mar 21 with 2514 viewsgreyhound

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:29 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

Unfortunately, I think that will be the case, I have done for a while since parachute payments increased to silly levels which have distorted the division.

And not just for us but any established Championship club where the owner isn't prepared/can't afford to stick in £20m every season. For what it's worth, if they don't go up this year or next year Norwich may well be in a similar boat.

At least Norwich froze their season ticket prices this year though.
FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:38 - Mar 21 with 2509 viewsPinewoodblue

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:06 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

Further to this, I wonder whether it's something the NUS at the university might look to take up with the club.

Didn't mention some sort of discounting arrangement, presumably for match day tickets, with schools and Uni.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:41 - Mar 21 with 2486 viewsIllinoisblue

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:29 - Mar 21 by PhilTWTD

be interesting to see how Norwich's much talked about new structure works out.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:45 - Mar 21 with 2457 viewsPhilTWTD

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:33 - Mar 21 by hype313

I'm sorry Phil but it is, as you say they face significant losses annually which is fine when we can sell a player each season to cover the shortfall, but when we can't the club then look elsewhere to cover the shortfall, which on the shoulders of the fans.

We have some of the highest prices in the league, yet we don't have the investment into the squad to replicate those high prices. You can't keep milking the cash cow.

A key point for me is if the party line "is we have to cover the annual losses somehow" then why not sell the club? Surely if your'e not prepared to go the extra mile then why not let someone else come in and have a go. Otherwise what's the point of him owning us?

Or is it the case where he has told us he has had lots of buyers absolute nonsense?

Facters isn't the only long standing ST holder taking the view that they won't return until regime change.

Really quite bad times, I'm not sure it can be sugarcoated.

The shortfall won't be covered by a rise in season ticket prices but by ME. Unless someone is sold, obviously. The increase in price this year is presumably aimed at covering increases in costs, inflation, power etc, which has been the argument in previous years anyway. As it happens, I would imagine there'll be a drop in overall income given the reception the pricing has had.

The 60-65 switch is understandable in principle, I would argue, as 60 is rarely viewed as a retirement age these days but has clearly been implemented in a ham-fisted, PR unfriendly manner at a time when it was bound to cause the sort of furore it has. I understand the plan was initially to do it in a different more staggered manner but ultimately that didn't make the final plans which were agreed and rubber-stamped by ME.
FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:47 - Mar 21 with 2433 viewsPhilTWTD

FAO Phil and Mature Students - Response to my email from James Hacker on 11:38 - Mar 21 by greyhound

At least Norwich froze their season ticket prices this year though.

Indeed, although worth pointing out theirs are significantly higher than ours anyway.

Was told yesterday they made the 60-65 switch in much the same manner as Town a couple of years ago, I presume when they got promoted, with less comment. Context is everything when doing these things.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024