Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Webster in Midfield? 11:15 - Apr 15 with 3307 viewsKentish_Tractor

So there has been a lot of talk about Cole Skuse this season. He's a player that really splits opinion. I personally think he is an asset to the club and for games against the bigger sides, he should play. Yes, he doesn't offer you anything creatively, but when paired with a more attacking partner such as Huws, he does as good a job as any of shielding the back 4.

My question is - should we be viewing Webster as a long-term replacement in that role? Webster is not tall or strong enough to be a dominant centre-half, and he looses his fair share of headers. There are also questions over his positioning, and he does have mistakes in him. BUT - we know he is capable of some excellent passes, and on his day is very good at carrying the ball forwards (so could pick it up from the defence and dictate play). He's also relatively quick.

So - should we continue to play him at centre-back, and continue to try to improve him there (he's still young and learning the game at this level, so he will get better) - OR - do we take a chance playing him higher up? Surely worth a go in pre-season?
[Post edited 15 Apr 2017 11:16]

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

Webster in Midfield? on 11:29 - Apr 15 with 3250 viewsHerbivore

He's a centre back, we should play him at centre back.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Webster in Midfield? on 11:33 - Apr 15 with 3245 viewsSimonds92

No. Very good young defender in his own right, hasn't really made any massive mistakes and will end up as a top centre back in the prem as long as this injury doesn't stunt his development.
Webster in Midfield? on 11:35 - Apr 15 with 3240 viewsbournemouthblue

Webster in Midfield? on 11:29 - Apr 15 by Herbivore

A modern football hipster playing centre back for good measure

If we look after him well, he'll be off for megabucks like John Stones

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Webster in Midfield? on 12:01 - Apr 15 with 3182 viewsSWGF

Afternoon Mick. Let's just have a period of playing chaps in their correct positions, shall we?

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Webster in Midfield? on 12:06 - Apr 15 with 3164 viewsChurchman75

Webster in Midfield? on 12:01 - Apr 15 by SWGF

Afternoon Mick. Let's just have a period of playing chaps in their correct positions, shall we?

Don't be ridiculous, he's a centre back

Let's also play Berra up front because he's good in the air and can replace Murphy!!

Poll: Attendance today as its community day and ticket offer..... SAR Upper is full..

Webster in Midfield? on 12:20 - Apr 15 with 3128 viewsrexron

I think its an intresting idea. Good players can play in different positions.

Poll: Who would you prefer as manager for Ipswich Town?

Webster in Midfield? on 12:23 - Apr 15 with 3123 viewsitfcjoe

Would be such a waste as the way he steps out of defence is potentially game changing and such a difficult thing to do well. He could be a star as a CB - a really top player

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Webster in Midfield? on 12:25 - Apr 15 with 3114 viewsJ2BLUE

Why don't we just sign a couple of decent midfielders instead of suggesting Webster, McGoldrick or anyone else who can make a pass converts to a midfielder?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Webster in Midfield? on 12:25 - Apr 15 with 3111 viewsHerbivore

Webster in Midfield? on 12:23 - Apr 15 by itfcjoe

Would be such a waste as the way he steps out of defence is potentially game changing and such a difficult thing to do well. He could be a star as a CB - a really top player

Exactly this.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

on 12:29 - Apr 15 with 3099 views_

Webster in Midfield? on 12:32 - Apr 15 with 3077 viewsonly_one_sir_bobby

I find it baffling fans getting incredibly frustrated with MM for playing players out of position (RE: Chambers at RB or Sears at LW), and then want to move a really good young prospect out of position.....

Sure Webster made a few mistakes this year, and he'll undoubtedly make a few more next season, but he is a terrific young CB who can play from the back, and even bring it out himself....keep him at CB
Webster in Midfield? on 12:34 - Apr 15 with 3074 viewsRoyKeanesDog

I don't think you deserve to get shot down like some have on this thread as I think he'd do well in that role.

I agree with Joe though- his potential would be reached at CB.

Poll: Best Football Song

Webster in Midfield? on 12:34 - Apr 15 with 3070 viewsParisBlue

I don't know whether Berra/Chambers will stay, but a back 5 of Kenlock, Berra/Knudsen, Webster, Chambers, Spence/ANOther with Smith, Emmanuel as cover is a decent base. I'd expect to see Webster mature in the centre which should give him the scope to bring the ball forward to setup attacks.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Webster in Midfield? on 12:54 - Apr 15 with 3018 viewsIpswichTownNL

I would love to see him in the Skuse position. I think he would crush there and could work maracles for our game. He's too good a footballer to be 'just' a CB.

Dutch Tractor Boys! Follow on Twitter; @IpswichTownNL

Webster in Midfield? on 21:32 - Apr 15 with 2791 views3_5_2

If Chambers stays and Berra goes ( which is likely I suspect) that gives us three cb with Webby, Chambo and Smith. With possibly Digby as cover. So with Knudsen too ( for a back 3 ) we have options.

My problem with Skuse is not his defensive side but his distribution. He rarely plays a forward pass ( he may be to,d to do this) but I could see Webster playing defensive mid too. Why not? Can tackle, header and has a decent touch. But can run out into spaces and has both short and long passing in his game.

I can see why people say play a cb as cb or players in their " correct positions, but this a guy who, in my view, could do both.

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Webster in Midfield? on 21:46 - Apr 15 with 2770 viewsPlums

Webster in Midfield? on 12:06 - Apr 15 by Churchman75

Don't be ridiculous, he's a centre back

Let's also play Berra up front because he's good in the air and can replace Murphy!!

I saw enough of Michael Crowe yesterday to wonder if the thought had crossed Mick's mind...the big lad can play.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Webster in Midfield? on 22:04 - Apr 15 with 2745 viewsKeaneish

Webster in Midfield? on 11:33 - Apr 15 by Simonds92

No. Very good young defender in his own right, hasn't really made any massive mistakes and will end up as a top centre back in the prem as long as this injury doesn't stunt his development.

He's made a lot of mistakes this season and a lot of mistakes that have lead to goals. Very hot and cold but inevitable really given his age and his first year in the Championship. Looking forward to seeing how he fits back in.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Webster in Midfield? on 10:48 - Apr 16 with 2546 viewsNo9

Webster in Midfield? on 12:20 - Apr 15 by rexron

I think its an intresting idea. Good players can play in different positions.

"Good players can play in different positions."

Correct !
Webster in Midfield? on 10:50 - Apr 16 with 2539 viewsBluefish

Webster in Midfield? on 10:48 - Apr 16 by No9

"Good players can play in different positions."

Correct !

Bart up front?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Webster in Midfield? on 10:52 - Apr 16 with 2529 viewsNo9

Webster in Midfield? on 10:50 - Apr 16 by Bluefish

Bart up front?

Don't know I've not watched him in training
But he has been doing a very good job between the sticks so why try ?
Webster in Midfield? on 10:52 - Apr 16 with 2530 viewsjas0999

Webster in Midfield? on 11:29 - Apr 15 by Herbivore

Yep. I agree with you. Playing a centre back at centre back is the correct option.
Webster in Midfield? on 11:16 - Apr 16 with 2494 viewsClausThomsen

When he was playing at centreback there were premier league teams interested. Pair him with a stopper like Smith and we've got a decent pairing there.

Similarly, Skuse was loved by all when he played alongside Bishop in our best season of recent times.

Let's keep the pegs in their correct holes.

And sack Mick.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024