Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Unpopular opinion perhaps 09:23 - Sep 14 with 2259 viewsGlasgowBlue

But I'd start KVY instead of Burns on Saturday.

Partly because Burns hasn't been anywhere near the player he was last season, but mainly because Shef Wed will be the best team we have played this season and KVY is better at defensive duties than Wes.

Their goal last year came from their left side.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 09:27 - Sep 14 with 2220 viewsdirtyboy

I think we'll stick with the starting line up from last night personally, save for Burgess, but agree Burns looks low on confidence, he's doing nothing wrong, just doesn't look like he believes he can ghost past players like he was last year....that standard was ridiculously high though.

There's a slight tweak in the system which doesn't help, but there's certainly moments he looks like he's off and isn't.

I think we'll see plenty of him during the season scoring goals, him and Ladapo will get up and running sooner or later.
Unpopular opinion perhaps on 09:27 - Sep 14 with 2225 viewshomer_123

One of the reasons Burns isn't as effective is the fact that teams double up on him. In fact at one point last night, he had 4 players marking him.

Now, the fact he's being doubled up on is a good thing as it creates space for other players, which we can exploit now because we use the ball so much under KM.

Also, he and Donacien are a better attacking and defensive partnership.

I like KVY but I wouldn't be dropping Burns at the moment.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 09:28 - Sep 14 with 2198 viewsJ2BLUE

Big fan of KVY but no. KVY will get his opportunity soon enough when Burns hopefully goes to the WC.

With Burns being picked for Wales he will likely be on a high. Leave him in.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 09:31 - Sep 14 with 2175 viewsMetal_Hacker

Not quite sure how you can take a look at last season and blame him for Weds goal last season coming down the left without acknowledging everything else the guy has done since

Burns and Janoi are much more effective as a pair

Poll: If it were one or the other

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 09:33 - Sep 14 with 2150 viewsSteve_M

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 09:27 - Sep 14 by homer_123

One of the reasons Burns isn't as effective is the fact that teams double up on him. In fact at one point last night, he had 4 players marking him.

Now, the fact he's being doubled up on is a good thing as it creates space for other players, which we can exploit now because we use the ball so much under KM.

Also, he and Donacien are a better attacking and defensive partnership.

I like KVY but I wouldn't be dropping Burns at the moment.

"One of the reasons Burns isn't as effective is the fact that teams double up on him."

It was very notable yesterday how Davis gives us such a good attacking option down the left, both goals started from there yesterday. Aside from the marking, Burns still looks like he's not quite fit at the moment.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 09:48 - Sep 14 with 2066 viewsJakeITFC

It looked to me to be much more like a 4-2-3-1 that morphed into 4-4-2 as the game went on for us last night - my assumption is we'd refer back to the flat 3 for the next few games (and therefore may have seen Edmundson come in a LCB anyway) but I think you see more from Burns in games when he comes from deeper as a proper wing-back.
[Post edited 14 Sep 2022 10:05]
Unpopular opinion perhaps on 09:56 - Sep 14 with 1989 viewswitchdoctor

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 09:31 - Sep 14 by Metal_Hacker

Not quite sure how you can take a look at last season and blame him for Weds goal last season coming down the left without acknowledging everything else the guy has done since

Burns and Janoi are much more effective as a pair

yes he had a great season but he didn’t really track back for that Wed goal..he started to and then stopped allowing there guy a clear shot on goal…
Unpopular opinion perhaps on 10:04 - Sep 14 with 1947 viewsStokieBlue

I think it's time we start letting the opposition worry about changing to face us. I also wouldn't want to break up the Burns/JD partnership to try and be more defensively solid.

That doesn't me McKenna won't do it though.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

Login to get fewer ads

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 10:29 - Sep 14 with 1854 viewsGuthrum

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 10:04 - Sep 14 by StokieBlue

I think it's time we start letting the opposition worry about changing to face us. I also wouldn't want to break up the Burns/JD partnership to try and be more defensively solid.

SB

I rather like the fact that McKenna mixes up his starting eleven a bit quite often. Keeps the opposition guessing. It is, after all, necessary to pay some regard to the opposition's strengths and weaknesses.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 10:38 - Sep 14 with 1812 viewsBlueBlood90

Saturday is definitely not the game I would be making changes unless necessary.

I certainly can't see Burgess being available so Fridge or Keogh will be in for him.

Agree that Wes has looked either short on confidence or fitness. Perhaps the lack of break and playing internationals during the summer is taking it's toll, however KVY won't be match fit either as he's barely played.

Poll: How many points will we get from Coventry and Huddersfield?

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 11:14 - Sep 14 with 1743 viewsJammyDodgerrr

At least you knew it would be an unpopular opinion.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 06:45 - Sep 15 with 1498 viewsGlasgowBlue

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 10:04 - Sep 14 by StokieBlue

SB

If we were the home team I would agree. But we are away to the strongest team we have faced so far.

So my thinking is Five three centre halves, Janoi, Wolf, Edmunson, with wing backs, Davis and KVY who are natural defenders.

The alternative is that we play a flat back 4, Davis, Edmunson, Wold, Janoi, and try to nullify their strong midfield pairing of Bannon and Byers by playing three in the middle, Evans, Morsy and Ball.

So 4-3-2-1. The 2 being Harness and Caplin with the 1 being Ladapo. Either way, I don’t see this as a game for Wes*. Through no fault if his own.

*KM will most likely start him and he’ll get a hatrick.

Iron Lion Zion

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 08:04 - Sep 15 with 1327 viewsPioneerBlue

Only my opinion

I don’t see KMcK resting Wes in favour of KVY. WB hasn’t been at his electrifying level from last season, Tuesday night might have been his least effective game, but I have half put this down to him managing his body early season and pre World Cup. That doesn’t help us, but we have balance, teams know about WB and that fact alone means they have to be concerned on both flanks. That is appearing to give Chappo and Harness more space centrally at times when attacking.

Not the time for resting WB, not unless it’s forced.

McKenna ball is all about finding space and being effective in areas of the pitch where we have the extra man and WB is important to moving teams around and creating those overloads. KVY / KE are both good back ups, they will need to begin getting more game time with internationals coming.

I do however think BB is worthy of additional attention but that’s probably communication between players when out of possession. Will we really change our team and approach that much for Sheff Wed?!

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 08:08 - Sep 15 with 1302 viewsWestcountryblue

Burns has been pretty good this season in my opinion, so i'd like to see him stay in the 11.

If we were to rotate, i'd like to see Edwards given a go, as he's been excellent in the cameos he's made so far this season.
Unpopular opinion perhaps on 08:14 - Sep 15 with 1259 viewsibbleobble

The goal last year cane from Edmundson trying to take on too many players and being caught in possession, which caught us a little to high up the pitch to cover around properly. It was this that lost us the game rather than mot being able to counter their threat on the left. Burns starts for me.
Unpopular opinion perhaps on 08:16 - Sep 15 with 1256 viewsLeoMuff

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 08:08 - Sep 15 by Westcountryblue

Burns has been pretty good this season in my opinion, so i'd like to see him stay in the 11.

If we were to rotate, i'd like to see Edwards given a go, as he's been excellent in the cameos he's made so far this season.

Yes, he looked bang up for it when he came on, and 3 assists in the pizza would suggest he wants it. Will Burns miss a game or two with Wales ? If so it’s ready made for him to step in.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 08:21 - Sep 15 with 1224 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

I wouldn't drop Burns for anyone. But when he goes away on international, if we were to play those games, perfectly happy with KVY in the team.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 08:35 - Sep 15 with 1170 viewsjayessess

Last year's losing goal comes from their Right really - Edmundson turning the ball over, Thompson failing to stop the cross.

Lose the ball in those positions and your RWB is always likely to end up too far ahead of the ball to get back.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 20:36 - Sep 17 with 840 viewsGlasgowBlue

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 11:14 - Sep 14 by JammyDodgerrr

At least you knew it would be an unpopular opinion.

Had I posted this at 5.15 pm this evening it may have been a slightly less unpopular opinion.

Iron Lion Zion

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 20:39 - Sep 17 with 815 viewstextbackup

Unpopular opinion perhaps on 20:36 - Sep 17 by GlasgowBlue

Had I posted this at 5.15 pm this evening it may have been a slightly less unpopular opinion.

he's given away a silly foul for the freekick for the first goal

then lost the ball, and was weirdly sloppy, in the run up to the second.

---------------

think he got the cross in for the 2nd for us however

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024