Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
have we signed too many players 12:19 - Feb 6 with 3550 viewsnodge_blue

Mick Mills has spoken before about needing a squad of 18 first team players. Some of those who can play more than one position. That keeps the players constantly involved with some ability to rotate. Then the other players promising youth teamers that can get some game time when the opportunity comes.

I think 22 first team ready is too much. Dom Ball will be fit shortly I see and potentially 5th choice central midfielder.

Marcus Harness for me has done enough this season to be the regular starter left side up front but arguably is now in some sort of rotation with Broadhead.

We haven't signed bad players but maybe we've signed too many and it becomes counter productive.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

have we signed too many players on 12:21 - Feb 6 with 2235 viewschicoazul

We’re third in division 3 and we are dropping like a stone. Maybe we *have* signed bad players.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

have we signed too many players on 12:22 - Feb 6 with 2223 viewsitfcjoe

I think an element of that, think the previous injury crisis in midfield has spooked us and now we are over covered everywhere else on the pitch which makes it difficult to manage

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

have we signed too many players on 12:25 - Feb 6 with 2165 viewsibbleobble

We definitely have and it’s kind of absurd given we should have learnt this lesson 12-months ago but never Cook. What’s the definition of insanity? Doing the same thing but expecting different results?

If you look at our Jekyll and Hyde performances from Morecambe to Cambridge, it should tell you all you need to know.
have we signed too many players on 12:29 - Feb 6 with 2120 viewsITFCBlues

have we signed too many players on 12:22 - Feb 6 by itfcjoe

I think an element of that, think the previous injury crisis in midfield has spooked us and now we are over covered everywhere else on the pitch which makes it difficult to manage

Quite. I think that's not helped by having Evans, who's somewhat injury prone and Camara who arrived with a fairly lengthy injury. Kind of taking a risk in that situation that Morsy and Ball stayed fit and the later hasn't unfortunately

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

have we signed too many players on 12:30 - Feb 6 with 2112 viewsFrimleyBlue

Personally I feel we sign to many player with thoughts on how can we get them to fit in rather than players who have done the Job before.

Morsy being asked to create and make runs into the box. That's not him
Chaplin has always been a striker according to himself.. we play him outside the box.
Edmundson.. we tend to play as a lcb. When he has no left foot.
Burgess used in a back 3 at Accrington. Playing in a 2
Broadhead striker.. having to work as a 10
Ladapo used to being part of a 2. Being a lone forward
Jackson. Being asked to play wherever KM throws him in it
Burns. Is a wingback. He's not a winger

Etc etc

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

have we signed too many players on 12:30 - Feb 6 with 2114 viewsnodge_blue

But that midfield shortage at the time proved the point. We got Humphrey's to step up and he did it well.

I haven't seen Broadhead play yet but I don't see why we wouldn't be happy with Harness playing 80% of our games. That's the kind of percentage figure Id expect from a good first team player. Not 50.

We look devoid of real conviction that we can be the best side in this league and maybe that's partly down to too much rotation and not enough consistency in selection.

have we signed too many players on 12:35 - Feb 6 with 2075 viewsDJR

Mick Mills also doesn't like all the substitutions in the second half because, along with opposition substitutions and time wasting, he thinks it tends to disrupt our play.

But with the number of players we have, I suppose this is necessary to keep people happy.

Incidentally, there haven't to my mind been many games where substitutions have changed the result, and if anything (Keogh at Wednesday and Charlton) they've actually counted against us.

Of course, you could argue that the changes on Saturday made a difference, but would things have been any worse if we'd stuck with the starting 11 who I am sure would have pulled back a goal?

I assume Premier League teams follow this approach, but perhaps we would be better if we decided on our best 11 and stuck with it, as Mills has also said.
have we signed too many players on 12:37 - Feb 6 with 2032 viewsnodge_blue

have we signed too many players on 12:35 - Feb 6 by DJR

Mick Mills also doesn't like all the substitutions in the second half because, along with opposition substitutions and time wasting, he thinks it tends to disrupt our play.

But with the number of players we have, I suppose this is necessary to keep people happy.

Incidentally, there haven't to my mind been many games where substitutions have changed the result, and if anything (Keogh at Wednesday and Charlton) they've actually counted against us.

Of course, you could argue that the changes on Saturday made a difference, but would things have been any worse if we'd stuck with the starting 11 who I am sure would have pulled back a goal?

I assume Premier League teams follow this approach, but perhaps we would be better if we decided on our best 11 and stuck with it, as Mills has also said.

I think part of the thought process is that he wants the front five to put in so much pressing and running effort in the first 60 minutes that they are physically spent. Meaning the opposition defence should be too. Which then means fresh legs really puts them under pressure.

Im not opposed to that line of thought. But Im not sure Im seeing it come to fruition much.

Login to get fewer ads

have we signed too many players on 12:39 - Feb 6 with 2004 viewsTalkingBlues

No. Not using what we have effectively enough.

Poll: Is it wrong to take more pleasure from seeing Germany lose, than England win

have we signed too many players on 12:39 - Feb 6 with 1998 viewsLankHenners

Probably, if you go through each player we have individually you can argue a good case for them being here but it's not great that too many options means you have to leave someone like Sone Aluko or Massimo Luongo out of the 18 completely.

My main concern about the squad size is moving forwards. If we get promoted the rules are slightly tighter so we'll have to shift people out anyway but even if not we just have too many players which stops younger players or those impressing on loan to come back in and get a chance. El-Miz is starring for Orient at the top of L2 every week but will he come back in and start here whatever division we're in? Doubtful. If Yengi scores 15 goals and Northampton go up automatically or win the league is he going to start here? Again doubtful, we'll just be investing in someone else and he'll get loaned out again or sold. Can go through the likes of Baggott, Ndaba etc. as well and even if they reach a point in their development where they're ready for out first team it'll be hard to get in it because we're a club now that can afford to buy in players to fill holes.

Players have got to be Humphreys quality to get a look in, and you could say that's a good thing because of high standards etc. but let's be real he only got a chance because the entire midfield ahead of him got injured and we had little choice but to chuck him in. I know right place right time and a bit of fortune is how you get the chance in football and indeed most places in life but it'd be a shame for me if that side of the club's history and tradition gets pushed aside.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

have we signed too many players on 12:40 - Feb 6 with 1999 viewsIllinoisblue

We’ve signed too many similar players but we still don’t have that x-factor that a Celina could provide - which would make the difference in tight games. The closest maybe we have to that is Humphreys.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

have we signed too many players on 12:40 - Feb 6 with 1984 viewsSlimitfc91

I must have missed the time when Mick Mills was a successful manager
have we signed too many players on 12:41 - Feb 6 with 1965 viewsDJR

have we signed too many players on 12:37 - Feb 6 by nodge_blue

I think part of the thought process is that he wants the front five to put in so much pressing and running effort in the first 60 minutes that they are physically spent. Meaning the opposition defence should be too. Which then means fresh legs really puts them under pressure.

Im not opposed to that line of thought. But Im not sure Im seeing it come to fruition much.

That's probably right, but it does make one wonder if this works in Division 1 where some teams are content to sit deep, with the result that we don't do have to do much pressing and the opposition are not that worn out.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2023 12:42]
have we signed too many players on 12:42 - Feb 6 with 1944 viewschicoazul

The only time we are successful as a club is when we have a core of our own youth players in there so what do we do? Replace Woolf and Humph with bloody Keogh and Evans. It’s deranged. We are getting exactly what we deserve if you ask me (not that you are of course).

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

have we signed too many players on 12:44 - Feb 6 with 1931 viewsnodge_blue

have we signed too many players on 12:41 - Feb 6 by DJR

That's probably right, but it does make one wonder if this works in Division 1 where some teams are content to sit deep, with the result that we don't do have to do much pressing and the opposition are not that worn out.
[Post edited 6 Feb 2023 12:42]

I think that's basically what's happening.

If anything we seem to be the team conceding more late goals.

have we signed too many players on 12:44 - Feb 6 with 1927 viewstextbackup

Wasn’t that one of the things the Bristol city fans said about Ashton? Kid in a sweet shop…

I might be wrong, vaguely remember reading that

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

have we signed too many players on 12:47 - Feb 6 with 1894 viewsbraveblue

have we signed too many players on 12:30 - Feb 6 by FrimleyBlue

Personally I feel we sign to many player with thoughts on how can we get them to fit in rather than players who have done the Job before.

Morsy being asked to create and make runs into the box. That's not him
Chaplin has always been a striker according to himself.. we play him outside the box.
Edmundson.. we tend to play as a lcb. When he has no left foot.
Burgess used in a back 3 at Accrington. Playing in a 2
Broadhead striker.. having to work as a 10
Ladapo used to being part of a 2. Being a lone forward
Jackson. Being asked to play wherever KM throws him in it
Burns. Is a wingback. He's not a winger

Etc etc

How on earth did we get to third going so much wrong!!!
have we signed too many players on 12:50 - Feb 6 with 1871 viewsLankHenners

For whatever reason we're not doing that as effectively as we were earlier in the season. The 'starters' if you like would get us going then the 'finishers' would come on and carry on or improve on the momentum gathered to see out or better the result.

Didn't win but against Bolton on the opening day looked a taste of what to come where we took a fairly even game into one we dominated and should have won but for poor finishing, same against Barnsley where the ref being a grade 10 moron cost us 3 points. Games like MK Dons, Shrewsbury etc. where we were able to start well then make changes to completely stop them having a sniff at coming back into it. Accrington subs were smart to keep pressure on and we broke through etc.

Then as you say Wednesday we gave them too much respect and allowed them to really put the pressure on and we crumbled, Plymouth we got it wrong taking Ladapo off, Charlton the subs were ineffective and made things worse for us and so on.

Obviously can get too granular with this and end up convincing yourself with hindsight that every outcome would and should have been different if xyz had have happened.

Lots of talk from the players earlier in the season about 'handing the baton over' with subs and it all working like one well-functioning machine but for me now it goes back to a bit of belief and mental strength where everyone's more hopeful things will work rather than genuine belief they will.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

have we signed too many players on 12:50 - Feb 6 with 1858 viewsSlimitfc91

have we signed too many players on 12:47 - Feb 6 by braveblue

Staggering isn’t it, a nobody on a forum knows more than a manager that has worked alongside one of the greatest bosses that the world of football has ever known
have we signed too many players on 12:53 - Feb 6 with 1818 viewsEly_Blue

have we signed too many players on 12:30 - Feb 6 by nodge_blue

But that midfield shortage at the time proved the point. We got Humphrey's to step up and he did it well.

I haven't seen Broadhead play yet but I don't see why we wouldn't be happy with Harness playing 80% of our games. That's the kind of percentage figure Id expect from a good first team player. Not 50.

We look devoid of real conviction that we can be the best side in this league and maybe that's partly down to too much rotation and not enough consistency in selection.

This sums us up exactly, the same could be said of Man City if you watched the Spurs game yesterday, arguably their best passer of the ball started on the bench which left their main striker devoid of any service

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

have we signed too many players on 12:55 - Feb 6 with 1791 viewsBeckets

have we signed too many players on 12:39 - Feb 6 by LankHenners

Probably, if you go through each player we have individually you can argue a good case for them being here but it's not great that too many options means you have to leave someone like Sone Aluko or Massimo Luongo out of the 18 completely.

My main concern about the squad size is moving forwards. If we get promoted the rules are slightly tighter so we'll have to shift people out anyway but even if not we just have too many players which stops younger players or those impressing on loan to come back in and get a chance. El-Miz is starring for Orient at the top of L2 every week but will he come back in and start here whatever division we're in? Doubtful. If Yengi scores 15 goals and Northampton go up automatically or win the league is he going to start here? Again doubtful, we'll just be investing in someone else and he'll get loaned out again or sold. Can go through the likes of Baggott, Ndaba etc. as well and even if they reach a point in their development where they're ready for out first team it'll be hard to get in it because we're a club now that can afford to buy in players to fill holes.

Players have got to be Humphreys quality to get a look in, and you could say that's a good thing because of high standards etc. but let's be real he only got a chance because the entire midfield ahead of him got injured and we had little choice but to chuck him in. I know right place right time and a bit of fortune is how you get the chance in football and indeed most places in life but it'd be a shame for me if that side of the club's history and tradition gets pushed aside.

We’ve got half a dozen players out of contract in the summer to free up space if we want to.
have we signed too many players on 12:55 - Feb 6 with 1788 viewsFrimleyBlue

have we signed too many players on 12:50 - Feb 6 by Slimitfc91

Staggering isn’t it, a nobody on a forum knows more than a manager that has worked alongside one of the greatest bosses that the world of football has ever known

Of ALL the replies. And you're picking out one poster for their thoughts on the OP.

Waka waka eh eh

have we signed too many players on 12:56 - Feb 6 with 1778 viewschicoazul

have we signed too many players on 12:50 - Feb 6 by Slimitfc91

Solskjaer?

have we signed too many players on 12:56 - Feb 6 with 1777 viewsDJR

have we signed too many players on 12:40 - Feb 6 by Slimitfc91

I must have missed the time when Mick Mills was a successful manager

That doesn't mean he is not a good analyst of the game. It's also interesting to get the perspective of someone who is a real legend, and really cares for the club.

And don't forget he was the England captain, so anything he says is worth listening to.

The fact is he he has been very supportive of McKenna this season, but with things not going as well as hoped, it is interesting to hear his take.
have we signed too many players on 12:57 - Feb 6 with 1751 viewsFrimleyBlue

have we signed too many players on 12:47 - Feb 6 by braveblue

How have we dropped from top and win 4 games in 3 months doing so much right.

Waka waka eh eh

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024