Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? 14:01 - Jan 20 with 1419 viewsOxfordTH_1981

It's often puzzled me why a large number of our supporters take the view that Evans is somehow obligated not just to spend millions of his own money each season on the club just to balance the books, but to also make available further millions year on year for managers to spend on transfers and wages (without any guarantee whatsoever, or even likelihood, that this will provide a return on his investment).

It's his money, he's earned it, and he can do what he likes with it. Numerous fans here are saying they won't spend anymore of their own money to watch the club or buy season tickets. Yet they expect Evans to cough up millions, year on year.

If I was Evans, I would be doing exactly the same thing. I would have lost faith in giving managers millions, like Magilton, RK and PJ, which nearly saw the club relegated; and I would see that MM has finished higher (ie 6th and 7th) without money to spend. I would be giving him support now, and backing him, because his track record is better than any of the other managers we have had in recent history in terms of getting promoted; and I would be prepared to continue to underwrite the club's losses of several million each season and make some limited further sums available for players and wages.
Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:05 - Jan 20 with 1393 viewsDolly2.0

Because what he's spending isn't working (as in getting us and him to the promised land). So effectively he's just pouring money down the drain for nothing. What does he gain from that?

Poll: Be honest, how many times have you played the clip of Noel Hunt's goal?

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:07 - Jan 20 with 1389 viewsCaptainObvious

He shouldn't be taking over football clubs and putting out season ticket literature that claims to be striving for promotion if he isn't going to be putting a realistic amount of money in.

i.p. verification result : "not blueas"
Poll: Garner or Pitman?

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:07 - Jan 20 with 1383 viewsOxfordTH_1981

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:05 - Jan 20 by Dolly2.0

Because what he's spending isn't working (as in getting us and him to the promised land). So effectively he's just pouring money down the drain for nothing. What does he gain from that?

He is mitigating his losses - in other words, if he doesn't underwrite the club's deficit (which is about £5-6m a year) the club goes under and he loses any chance of getting promoted. As I said above, on the basis that MM came 7th and 6th in recent history, the team's chances of getting promoted are/were higher than before, despite ME not spending as much money. So it is a reasonable strategy.
Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:07 - Jan 20 with 1384 viewsIllinoisblue

because if he doesn't invest more in us he'll never get the chance to cash in on the premier league millions - which, let's not forget is his number one aim. He's not a fan or someone who fell in love with football - he's out to make a few quid off the back of ITFC.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:08 - Jan 20 with 1366 viewsOxfordTH_1981

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:07 - Jan 20 by CaptainObvious

He shouldn't be taking over football clubs and putting out season ticket literature that claims to be striving for promotion if he isn't going to be putting a realistic amount of money in.

What is a "realistic" amount?

He puts in around £5-6m a year just to keep the club going, let alone additional sums for transfers etc.

In the past six or seven years he has made millions available to a plethora of managers, who squandered all of it.
Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:09 - Jan 20 with 1354 viewsOxfordTH_1981

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:07 - Jan 20 by Illinoisblue

because if he doesn't invest more in us he'll never get the chance to cash in on the premier league millions - which, let's not forget is his number one aim. He's not a fan or someone who fell in love with football - he's out to make a few quid off the back of ITFC.

But this is the point I am challenging. Supporters seem to equate spending with getting promoted, but all the evidence shows that when we spend a lot more money, we performed far worse (ie. were almost relegated). MM came 7th and 6th - without having money available. So you can hardly blame ME for sticking with this strategy.
Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:10 - Jan 20 with 1346 viewsIllinoisblue

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:08 - Jan 20 by OxfordTH_1981

He puts in around £5-6m a year just to keep the club going, let alone additional sums for transfers etc.

In the past six or seven years he has made millions available to a plethora of managers, who squandered all of it.

well if he didn't/doesn't want to lose money he shouldn't have bought a football club

62 - 78 - 81

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:11 - Jan 20 with 1333 viewsIllinoisblue

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:09 - Jan 20 by OxfordTH_1981

But this is the point I am challenging. Supporters seem to equate spending with getting promoted, but all the evidence shows that when we spend a lot more money, we performed far worse (ie. were almost relegated). MM came 7th and 6th - without having money available. So you can hardly blame ME for sticking with this strategy.

I'm not saying spend tens of millions but if you think Coke, Digby, Moore, Spence etc. are going to do any more than help us tread water in the championship you're living in dreamland.

62 - 78 - 81

Login to get fewer ads

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:12 - Jan 20 with 1323 viewsDolly2.0

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:07 - Jan 20 by OxfordTH_1981

He is mitigating his losses - in other words, if he doesn't underwrite the club's deficit (which is about £5-6m a year) the club goes under and he loses any chance of getting promoted. As I said above, on the basis that MM came 7th and 6th in recent history, the team's chances of getting promoted are/were higher than before, despite ME not spending as much money. So it is a reasonable strategy.

No-one said it isn't a reasonable strategy. It's just that many of think it's unlikely to work, and is looking increasingly so.

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:13 - Jan 20 with 1318 viewsOxfordTH_1981

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:12 - Jan 20 by Dolly2.0

No-one said it isn't a reasonable strategy. It's just that many of think it's unlikely to work, and is looking increasingly so.

I agree with that, but this wasn't my point - many supporters think it is unreasonable for him not to do anything other than throw away millions and millions year on year. In other words, he takes on all the risk, and the supporters don't. I am pretty sure that neither you or I would keep spending significant sums of our own cash on a venture with no likelihood of that strategy working.
Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:14 - Jan 20 with 1321 viewsGuthrum

He doesn't have to, but it's the reality that unless his input at least counteracts the Championship's equivalent of inflation, it will increasingly be impossible to maintain the club's current status. Football team ownership is simply something which cannot be done on the cheap (that last itself being a relative term). With McCarthy's frugal management, he's done about as well as it's possible to expect, but this season has been an illustration of the limits to what can be achieved.

On any level, would it be good for Evans to have the club fall into League One (or below)? Clearly not. As an investor, as a fan, or as someone looking for brand exposure, promotion to the Premiership is the only logical aim. And for that he will have to make sure that the team still has just enough quality to compete effectively and cope with injuries, loss of form and all the other vagaries of a football season. Which costs money.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:18 - Jan 20 with 1296 viewswkj

In my honest opinion ME didn't ever see ITFC as a long term project, I think he was fairly assured promotion would be quick, then sell the team on not long after. I have no sources for this just his steady decline of investment and risk taking year on year has suggested he spent about as much as he was willing to on th eoutlay

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:21 - Jan 20 with 1284 viewsDarth_Koont

On a related note, what sort of insane world do we live in in the Championship where losing 6 million a year is considered "not doing enough"? That's just not right.

I'm amazed that the EFL hasn't done more to push through FFP in the Championship.

Pronouns: He/Him

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:24 - Jan 20 with 1261 viewsGuthrum

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:09 - Jan 20 by OxfordTH_1981

That's a false correlation, tho. Because less capable managers failed with money does not automatically mean that a more competent one will do so as well.

And I don't believe that's what Evans is doing, anyway. He blew his allocated "promotion pot" in the period up to about 2011 and has been in damage control mode since. McCarthy has been a fortuitous pick in that he has enabled that strategy to work (so far).

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:24 - Jan 20 with 1258 viewsCaptainObvious

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:08 - Jan 20 by OxfordTH_1981

He doesn't put £5m-£6m in, he puts £5m-£6m minus the profit from player sales. Putting that back in would be a start.

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:27 - Jan 20 with 1228 viewsCaptainObvious

that's just two managers cocking it up at one club.

evidence is many clubs in many seasons over many years, and the ones who spend are more likely, but not certain, to go up.

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:29 - Jan 20 with 1211 viewsGuthrum

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:21 - Jan 20 by Darth_Koont

On a related note, what sort of insane world do we live in in the Championship where losing 6 million a year is considered "not doing enough"? That's just not right.

I'm amazed that the EFL hasn't done more to push through FFP in the Championship.

Absolutely insane.

But that's what the market will stand. Plus with many clubs now having the extra income from parachute payments or successions of profligate (often Far Eastern) owners, it's not such an urgent problem. If a few clubs go to the wall, then so what? It doesn't imperil the entire League and replacements can always be found from League One.

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:30 - Jan 20 with 1195 viewsDolly2.0

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:13 - Jan 20 by OxfordTH_1981

I agree with that, but this wasn't my point - many supporters think it is unreasonable for him not to do anything other than throw away millions and millions year on year. In other words, he takes on all the risk, and the supporters don't. I am pretty sure that neither you or I would keep spending significant sums of our own cash on a venture with no likelihood of that strategy working.

I certainly wouldn't be throwing away the same amount year on year for nothing. I'd either go for it big time or cut my loses and pull out.

Unfair to say the supporters don't take any risk. We can't. We're not multi millionaires.

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:38 - Jan 20 with 1173 viewsSWGF

Probability is that the more you spend, the more likely you are to get up. Certainly give yourself a FAR better chance. Wait and see who finishes in the top six and then look at their outlay; three of those teams will be promoted.

Evans has missed the boat through bad appointments and decisions. The time to go up was when we had a relative financial advantage but we pissed it up the wall. It's now damage limitation and the fans will suffer because of it.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:41 - Jan 20 with 1155 viewsSWGF

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:11 - Jan 20 by Illinoisblue

I'm not saying spend tens of millions but if you think Coke, Digby, Moore, Spence etc. are going to do any more than help us tread water in the championship you're living in dreamland.

Coke, Digby, Moore, Spence etc won't help us tread water. They'll see us go down.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:43 - Jan 20 with 1154 viewskizaitfc

Because he is currently losing money every year.

Unless we get into the premiership he will never get any of that money back

Therefore he needs to make a decision gamble and try to get to the premier league or sell the club and recoup some of the money.

What he is currently doing is pi$$ing millions away each season and getting no where

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:55 - Jan 20 with 1127 viewsdirtyboy

Why should Evans put anymore of his money into the club at all? on 14:30 - Jan 20 by Dolly2.0

I certainly wouldn't be throwing away the same amount year on year for nothing. I'd either go for it big time or cut my loses and pull out.

Unfair to say the supporters don't take any risk. We can't. We're not multi millionaires.

Work on your own net worth then.

Let's say I have £700m
And I put £100m into a football club, that's no different to the average joe with a £250k house with no mortgage throwing his "keeping up with the Jonses BMW" worth £35k into a very risky operation.

And that's assuming Evans is worth that much.

People seriously underestimate what Evans has put into this club.

And as I say, who else is out there to do that?

If i'd thrown the family wagon at a venture and it didn't work out, i'm not going to put another one in!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024