Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me 15:45 - Mar 19 with 3977 viewsMullet

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/the_verdict_ipswich_town_are_sleepwalking_towards_le

"Here are the stark facts. Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at Cardiff City saw the gap to the Championship drop zone cut to just five points with eight games to play. " All well and good. Well stagnant and sh1t, but the English language is a fickle beast.

Then this next bit "Town are, without doubt, the most out-of-form side in that pack having claimed just 14 points from a possible 42 since the turn of the year. Rock-bottom Rotherham aside, no-one in the bottom half has won fewer games in their last 10 outings. "

We're 18th in the form table. Birmingham, Wigan and Barnsley all sit below us alongside a couple of playoff hopefuls. Forest are on equal points from the last six and a place above us. We also play many of the bottom seven with points on our side and already on the board.

You'd have to do some serious statistical analysis of the upcoming fixtures and likely outcomes to turn that into a credible fact, or just put it down to fortune telling to suit an argument. Especially in a league where Brizzle tonked Huddersfield this week.

With that and the bit about ST prices, I can't help but feel he's exploiting the disquiet and fears of fans to put that together. It's a shame, as the EADT have form for this sort of thing and seem to be back to taking the same easy route again.

This relegation talk needs some perspective. We're a month away, and a few games from it being a likelihood. At present it's theoretically possible still surely?

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:04 - Mar 19 with 3447 viewsBackToRussia

I think Watson has been bang on the money all season, this is probably the first article he's been a bit too pessimistic. But reading it through, the bit you highlighted is the only refutable point for me.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.
Poll: Neil Young or Lynyrd Skynyrd - there is no middle ground.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:07 - Mar 19 with 3412 viewsMullet

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:04 - Mar 19 by BackToRussia

I think Watson has been bang on the money all season, this is probably the first article he's been a bit too pessimistic. But reading it through, the bit you highlighted is the only refutable point for me.

The whole premise of the article surely rest on that bit though?

I think he's got better, but that's mainly because the editorial team have become a bit savvier in their baiting and criticism of Evans. The embarrassing nonsense of a few years ago predates him at least.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:08 - Mar 19 with 3393 viewsLankHenners

At the end of the day, it's his job to get clicks/sell papers etc., and he's got a better chance of doing that if he plays to the current mood. He knows we have a lot of doomsayers in our fanbase so does pander to that at times.

Generally I think he does he very good job but occasionally seems to give (either by design or unhappy accident) some more vocal bods some weird feeling of validation in their misguided musings.

Whilst clearly a mild concern, we'd have to properly feck up to go down now with the matches left - we'd have to enter our worst spell of form all season and if Mick's shown nothing else this term it's that he can find the results when it matters.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2017 16:09]

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:14 - Mar 19 with 3337 viewsBackToRussia

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:07 - Mar 19 by Mullet

The whole premise of the article surely rest on that bit though?

I think he's got better, but that's mainly because the editorial team have become a bit savvier in their baiting and criticism of Evans. The embarrassing nonsense of a few years ago predates him at least.

Not sure the whole premise - the main premise being, as MM said, we're in a relegation scrap, and we don't look in a very good place to combat it for the reasons in the second half of the article. Is a needless oversight tho to make the claim he did. But he could say that he isn't going by the form table, but form over 10-15 games, you name it.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:20 - Mar 19 with 3277 viewsMullet

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:14 - Mar 19 by BackToRussia

Not sure the whole premise - the main premise being, as MM said, we're in a relegation scrap, and we don't look in a very good place to combat it for the reasons in the second half of the article. Is a needless oversight tho to make the claim he did. But he could say that he isn't going by the form table, but form over 10-15 games, you name it.

He says quite explicitly we're the most out of form side. We're not, even with his exclusion of Rotherham.

Being in "a relegation scrap" and "sleepwalking to league 1" are very different things, even in terms of imagery let alone reality.

Think it's sloppy at best to knock that out and expect it to fly. But most fans will not question it, because it plays to their fears and sounds convincing enough at a time they need little persuading.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:22 - Mar 19 with 3243 viewsBackToRussia

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:20 - Mar 19 by Mullet

He says quite explicitly we're the most out of form side. We're not, even with his exclusion of Rotherham.

Being in "a relegation scrap" and "sleepwalking to league 1" are very different things, even in terms of imagery let alone reality.

Think it's sloppy at best to knock that out and expect it to fly. But most fans will not question it, because it plays to their fears and sounds convincing enough at a time they need little persuading.

Yes I didn't say he he didn't say it, I said it was a needless oversight to include it as it is with no explanation/to not do his research.

He wouldn't have written the headline I doubt.

There's a difference between writing "Ipswich Town have sleepwalked straight into the perfect storm." and "Ipswich are sleepwalking into League 1".

Agree broadly he should have gone for a less doomladen article tho but think he has been pretty much accurate and fair all season up until this one.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:42 - Mar 19 with 3129 viewsmeekreech

Watson panders to the doomsayers as per the Archant requirement ! There is always , even when we are doing well , a tendency to downplay our success and try to stir the minority of moaners into action . The main line in most of his writings is to wind up certain sections of the fan base , those who complain all the time , ignoring the less vocal majority !

Poll: who do you see as next manager ?

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 17:49 - Mar 19 with 2929 viewsbraveblue

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:08 - Mar 19 by LankHenners

At the end of the day, it's his job to get clicks/sell papers etc., and he's got a better chance of doing that if he plays to the current mood. He knows we have a lot of doomsayers in our fanbase so does pander to that at times.

Generally I think he does he very good job but occasionally seems to give (either by design or unhappy accident) some more vocal bods some weird feeling of validation in their misguided musings.

Whilst clearly a mild concern, we'd have to properly feck up to go down now with the matches left - we'd have to enter our worst spell of form all season and if Mick's shown nothing else this term it's that he can find the results when it matters.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2017 16:09]

Relegation is a mild concern. It's 5 points!!! And we are truly awful with dreadful, dull tactics. It is a very real possibility with Dino in charge as he won't change. Get real.
Login to get fewer ads

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 18:00 - Mar 19 with 2864 viewsoldbluestu

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:42 - Mar 19 by meekreech

Watson panders to the doomsayers as per the Archant requirement ! There is always , even when we are doing well , a tendency to downplay our success and try to stir the minority of moaners into action . The main line in most of his writings is to wind up certain sections of the fan base , those who complain all the time , ignoring the less vocal majority !

Watson is an average journalist at best
Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 18:00 - Mar 19 with 2866 views3_5_2

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 16:20 - Mar 19 by Mullet

Think you are nit picking Mullers

We have been awful for god knows how long, negative, square pegs round holes etc.

14 points from 42 is a shocking and long term statistic to show how badly MM has done

We are in a relegation scrap and I'm not sure we have the mindset to score the goals to get out of it. We may get 5 draws and that will be seen as enough

Sad state of affairs however you report it

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 18:08 - Mar 19 with 2831 viewsBackToRussia

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 18:00 - Mar 19 by oldbluestu

Watson is an average journalist at best

That makes him Archant's best journalist then.

TWTD CP. Evans Out.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 20:28 - Mar 19 with 2624 viewsMullet

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 18:00 - Mar 19 by 3_5_2

Think you are nit picking Mullers

We have been awful for god knows how long, negative, square pegs round holes etc.

14 points from 42 is a shocking and long term statistic to show how badly MM has done

We are in a relegation scrap and I'm not sure we have the mindset to score the goals to get out of it. We may get 5 draws and that will be seen as enough

Sad state of affairs however you report it

Not sure his piece is long enough to "nitpick" or it changes the reality of the situation. Which is sort of my point.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 20:46 - Mar 19 with 2560 viewschristiand

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 20:28 - Mar 19 by Mullet

Not sure his piece is long enough to "nitpick" or it changes the reality of the situation. Which is sort of my point.

Bottom line is however you look at it Mullet, we're in the mire. The good, if it can be classed as a positive, is we have to play a lot of those around us. Naturally, this can work to our advantage and disadvantage, but 5 points can soon dissolve if we are on the wrong end of some defeats. Personally, the next two games are crucial win those and I think we will stay up, two defeats and I think you can say that last relegation spot has got our name on it!

Poll: Where will we finish this season?
Blog: Full of Optimism and Hope, the League One Kick Off is Finally Here!

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 20:49 - Mar 19 with 2543 viewsMullet

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 20:46 - Mar 19 by christiand

Bottom line is however you look at it Mullet, we're in the mire. The good, if it can be classed as a positive, is we have to play a lot of those around us. Naturally, this can work to our advantage and disadvantage, but 5 points can soon dissolve if we are on the wrong end of some defeats. Personally, the next two games are crucial win those and I think we will stay up, two defeats and I think you can say that last relegation spot has got our name on it!

Well no, we're not yet which is the point. Hovering uncomfortably above it is different. But people wanting/being led to believe so is dangerous. He should know better and tread much more carefully IMO.

I'm taken aback at how many didn't see a defeat coming yesterday. It was far more likely than a draw, let alone a win.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 20:56 - Mar 19 with 2507 viewschristiand

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 20:49 - Mar 19 by Mullet

Well no, we're not yet which is the point. Hovering uncomfortably above it is different. But people wanting/being led to believe so is dangerous. He should know better and tread much more carefully IMO.

I'm taken aback at how many didn't see a defeat coming yesterday. It was far more likely than a draw, let alone a win.

1 win in 13 games isn't a side hovering above relegation, it's a side ultimately that will go down. At the beginning of our recent run we were 10 points above the bottom 3, now only 5. It's not looking good; I think he's pointing out that relegation 'could' be a reality, which it could. The whole feeling around the club is one that is on the decline, however we try and gloss it up - Just my opinion.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 21:10 - Mar 19 with 2448 viewsMullet

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 20:56 - Mar 19 by christiand

1 win in 13 games isn't a side hovering above relegation, it's a side ultimately that will go down. At the beginning of our recent run we were 10 points above the bottom 3, now only 5. It's not looking good; I think he's pointing out that relegation 'could' be a reality, which it could. The whole feeling around the club is one that is on the decline, however we try and gloss it up - Just my opinion.

The problem is wins aren't the only way to get points. The margin has decreased because we've picked up 1 pt in the last 2 games and others haven't. But the margin isn't fixed. Given that we also have to play many of the teams below us, the article and the presumption it inspires isn't correct at all.

The same as confusing form with being "in the mire". It's now more possible than it was a month ago, but again lots can change in that time and too many people aren't willing to consider that. Making the repeated doom-mongering false and slightly reckless.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 21:20 - Mar 19 with 2405 viewschristiand

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 21:10 - Mar 19 by Mullet

The problem is wins aren't the only way to get points. The margin has decreased because we've picked up 1 pt in the last 2 games and others haven't. But the margin isn't fixed. Given that we also have to play many of the teams below us, the article and the presumption it inspires isn't correct at all.

The same as confusing form with being "in the mire". It's now more possible than it was a month ago, but again lots can change in that time and too many people aren't willing to consider that. Making the repeated doom-mongering false and slightly reckless.

Still think he is pointing out what could happen, like Newcastle could win the league based on their current form. I think it's how you interpret the article, reflects how you view the current situation- you have your view Mullet and others have theirs. Whether scare-mongering or not the stats don't make for positive reading. Nevertheless, you could be right in a months time we could be safe, but then again we could also find ourselves in a more critical situation than we currently are.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 21:23 - Mar 19 with 2383 viewsjaykay

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 21:10 - Mar 19 by Mullet

eadt reporters are crap.they still wear hats with a press tag stuck in the hat band,and their cameras still a flash bulbs

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 21:25 - Mar 19 with 2374 viewsNo9

No reason why he should not report what he sees is there?

On paper Townshould have beaten both Brentford & Wolves.
+ Towns home form for the last couple of years has been nothing to write home about.

MM's team selection is questionable, his tactics dire & substitutions a puzzle.

Nothing to be optomisitic about at the moment as MM's team is capable of making any visitors look good
Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 21:25 - Mar 19 with 2370 viewsMullet

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 21:20 - Mar 19 by christiand

Still think he is pointing out what could happen, like Newcastle could win the league based on their current form. I think it's how you interpret the article, reflects how you view the current situation- you have your view Mullet and others have theirs. Whether scare-mongering or not the stats don't make for positive reading. Nevertheless, you could be right in a months time we could be safe, but then again we could also find ourselves in a more critical situation than we currently are.

But that's the problem again. I'm not the one presenting prediction as fact or being careless with my language. It's not about "views" when you frame things in this manner. That's completely separate.

It's not about viewpoints when he presents "form" in this manner and gets it wrong. It's not as if the facts don't speak for themselves already. The EADT does this too often, regardless of my own concerns with ME et al they should know and do better than this.

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 21:35 - Mar 19 with 2314 views3_5_2

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 21:25 - Mar 19 by Mullet

But that's the problem again. I'm not the one presenting prediction as fact or being careless with my language. It's not about "views" when you frame things in this manner. That's completely separate.

It's not about viewpoints when he presents "form" in this manner and gets it wrong. It's not as if the facts don't speak for themselves already. The EADT does this too often, regardless of my own concerns with ME et al they should know and do better than this.

We are all agree we are in the shi1t

Just a case of how deep....

Hindsight is always 20:20
Poll: Which system should we play?

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 23:33 - Mar 19 with 2149 viewsStNeotsBlue

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 21:25 - Mar 19 by Mullet

We're in a mess, if the local press didn't highlight this they wouldn't be doing their job. I think we'll scrape through this season and go down next without a radical change of philosophy throughout the club.
Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 23:52 - Mar 19 with 2111 viewsclive_baker

On Saturday he tweeted our chances of relegation are '<5%'. Today we're 'sleepwalking into League 1'. His couverage is more emotional than this place. Win and we're gods gift, lose and we're the worst team that ever lived. The bloke's clueless when it comes to football.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 07:22 - Mar 20 with 1897 viewsshamboy

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 23:52 - Mar 19 by clive_baker

On Saturday he tweeted our chances of relegation are '<5%'. Today we're 'sleepwalking into League 1'. His couverage is more emotional than this place. Win and we're gods gift, lose and we're the worst team that ever lived. The bloke's clueless when it comes to football.

Stuart Watson receives directions from his Editor, who happens to be a person with very entrenched views of where Town should be in the pecking order. I think you will find that at times Watson is instructed to take a very pessimistic stance, and this looks like one such instance.
Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 07:23 - Mar 20 with 1875 viewsReuser_is_God

Watson'st half page seems very cynical to me on 23:52 - Mar 19 by clive_baker

I thought the 'sleepwalking into league 1' comment was more in reference to the long term.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024