Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? 08:01 - May 14 with 19160 viewsitfcjoe

If he impresses in his second interview this week, then can't see him not getting the job.

A shame we won't get to hear from Paul Hurst as clearly a very, very good candidate - but realistically waiting more than 2 weeks after a second interview to give him a first just doesn't work

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:05 - May 14 with 7398 viewstextbackup

the buzz of landing this bloke will be great.
to see his style implemented on our players, the young boys especially could be something special in the long run, and I hope people understand it will be a long term project.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:09 - May 14 with 7364 viewsLord_Lucan

I was thinking the same last night. We can't effectively speak with Hurst for a minimum of two weeks, Ross by all accounts is at FPR this week and evidently impressed on his first interview.

Other that call ME a tvvat and take a sh1t on his desk I can't see him not getting offered the job.

Otherwise ME has to say "Well we like you Jack but can you hang on a fortnight so we can see if the bloke from Shrewsbury is interested first"

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:09 - May 14 with 7357 viewsCotty

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:05 - May 14 by textbackup

the buzz of landing this bloke will be great.
to see his style implemented on our players, the young boys especially could be something special in the long run, and I hope people understand it will be a long term project.

"and I hope people understand it will be a long term project."

Somebody bookmark this please!!
Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:10 - May 14 with 7351 viewsITFCBlues

There could be multiple candidates that are having 2nd interviews though?

I really don’t see a problem waiting 2 weeks either. ME has already said that he doesn’t expect an announcement to be made until late May/early June so it all fits in well with the timelines he’s provided still.

I can’t see any reason why he’d rush this. It’s a huge appointment and taking an extra couple of weeks to ensure he gets it right shouldn’t be a problem

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:12 - May 14 with 7328 viewsSomethingBlue

Could be although we don't know who else they are seeing again — Stam perhaps! If second interviews are happening this week though then it is hard to see us waiting a further fortnight for Hurst. Wouldn't advocate that either, unless he is by far and away the best man for the job — we need to get someone bedded in.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:16 - May 14 with 7300 viewsBrianTablet

His interview crib sheet will be mostly...

"Don't tell fans to f'ck off."

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:18 - May 14 with 7285 viewsLord_Lucan

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:12 - May 14 by SomethingBlue

Could be although we don't know who else they are seeing again — Stam perhaps! If second interviews are happening this week though then it is hard to see us waiting a further fortnight for Hurst. Wouldn't advocate that either, unless he is by far and away the best man for the job — we need to get someone bedded in.

Aside from that it's a bit disrespectful to keep Ross hanging about for what would be another three weeks when it would be obvious that we were stalling in order to speak with Hurst. If Hurst then turned us down Ross would know that he was second choice.

Also Scottish contracts are up on My 31st. Finally, we run a slight risk of another club hijacking the deal.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:18 - May 14 with 7281 viewsSWGF

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:09 - May 14 by Lord_Lucan

I was thinking the same last night. We can't effectively speak with Hurst for a minimum of two weeks, Ross by all accounts is at FPR this week and evidently impressed on his first interview.

Other that call ME a tvvat and take a sh1t on his desk I can't see him not getting offered the job.

Otherwise ME has to say "Well we like you Jack but can you hang on a fortnight so we can see if the bloke from Shrewsbury is interested first"

Your last sentence sums the situation up, for me. As I said on Twitter, logistics dictate that the more successful Hurst gets, the less likely he is to get our job.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Login to get fewer ads

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:20 - May 14 with 7264 viewsSomethingBlue

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:18 - May 14 by Lord_Lucan

Aside from that it's a bit disrespectful to keep Ross hanging about for what would be another three weeks when it would be obvious that we were stalling in order to speak with Hurst. If Hurst then turned us down Ross would know that he was second choice.

Also Scottish contracts are up on My 31st. Finally, we run a slight risk of another club hijacking the deal.

Yeah, St Mirren (and anyone else whose manager we might be talking to beneath the radar) will surely want to know if they need to get someone else in. Hard to see that Hurst stays in the running, really.

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:21 - May 14 with 7258 viewshomer_123

Without wanting to be a kill joy, he did turn Barnsley down.

I'm not putting us on par with Barnsley, merely pointing out that Ross "wasn't just guffing" when he stated that he wants to be able to progress.

1st Interview v 2nd Interview for example.

Has he met Evans yet? Was the 1st interview just Milne? He may not see ITFC as his logical next stepping stone?

Saying all the above, if he's happy to come for a 2nd interview, then he's got to think it probably is the right fit for him.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:22 - May 14 with 7245 viewsNo9

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:18 - May 14 by Lord_Lucan

Good points

It seems to be developing into a two candidate matter
To wait for PH could be a bad mistake
Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:23 - May 14 with 7243 viewsHerbivore

For me I still see Hurst as the best candidate for the job but waiting until the play off final is risky, unless we've been given a clear indication that he wants the job whatever happens. If we aren't sure then there is value in making a decision sooner if it means we can secure a candidate that has impressed. It's a huge decision for ME though and one he needs to get right so I can see the attraction of waiting.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:24 - May 14 with 7225 viewsHerbivore

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:22 - May 14 by No9

Good points

It seems to be developing into a two candidate matter
To wait for PH could be a bad mistake

Equally to not wait for him could be a bad mistake.

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:30 - May 14 with 7188 viewstractorboy1978

If it is definitely a second interview and not a first then I can't see beyond him getting appointed within a week. He's been 'head hunted' so there is an element of ME or those that advise him being suitably impressed before even speaking to him. If he has then affirmed that in a first interview then I am not quite sure what a second one would entail other than showing him around the place and finalising a deal/terms.
Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:32 - May 14 with 7185 viewsitfcjoe

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:23 - May 14 by Herbivore

For me I still see Hurst as the best candidate for the job but waiting until the play off final is risky, unless we've been given a clear indication that he wants the job whatever happens. If we aren't sure then there is value in making a decision sooner if it means we can secure a candidate that has impressed. It's a huge decision for ME though and one he needs to get right so I can see the attraction of waiting.

I think it's too big a risk, because no matter how clear the indication is if they go up he will be riding the crest of the wave from promotion and we will be effectively expecting him to resign within a few days. The heart can rule the head in times like that, and also I can't imagine we will be in a position to have identified him properly without speaking to him.

If it is to be Hurst, he almost needs to be offered the job before a full interview process because if we are waiting for him then he has to be the man.

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:35 - May 14 with 7150 viewsGuthrum

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:30 - May 14 by tractorboy1978

If it is definitely a second interview and not a first then I can't see beyond him getting appointed within a week. He's been 'head hunted' so there is an element of ME or those that advise him being suitably impressed before even speaking to him. If he has then affirmed that in a first interview then I am not quite sure what a second one would entail other than showing him around the place and finalising a deal/terms.

Perhaps that old interview "try out the job" type excercise. Take a training session, maybe oversee a match, buy a couple of players, just to see if he's any good at it.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:35 - May 14 with 7147 viewsitfcjoe

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:12 - May 14 by SomethingBlue

Sounds like the interviews have been Stam, Parker, Sherwood, Ross and Warburton from what I've heard.

If they are 5 proper interviews, with subsequent second ones coming up for candidates then we should know something this week in reality.

The risks involved are manager pulls himself out of the race because wait is too long, or another club comes in and steals a march on us.

If any of those, and we know Ross is definitely one, is going to sit down again with Evans this week and is able to blow him away then they will get the job.

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:40 - May 14 with 7098 viewsHerbivore

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:32 - May 14 by itfcjoe

I think it's too big a risk, because no matter how clear the indication is if they go up he will be riding the crest of the wave from promotion and we will be effectively expecting him to resign within a few days. The heart can rule the head in times like that, and also I can't imagine we will be in a position to have identified him properly without speaking to him.

If it is to be Hurst, he almost needs to be offered the job before a full interview process because if we are waiting for him then he has to be the man.

It's certainly a tricky one, for me I still see Hurst as the best candidate but I do also like the sound of Ross. I think he's a much bigger gamble though and not necessarily as good a fit for what we need right now, but he'd be an exciting appointment and one we can all get behind.

A thought that just occurred to me, I wonder whether the timing of Ross' second interview was timed to coincide with us knowing whether Shrewsbury were still in the play offs or not. It might be that he's not really prepared to wait until the end of the month for Hurst but would have been keen to speak to him if the Shrews had got knocked out of the play offs. Who knows, it's certainly a big call for ME either way.

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:40 - May 14 with 7100 viewsSomethingBlue

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:35 - May 14 by itfcjoe

Sounds like the interviews have been Stam, Parker, Sherwood, Ross and Warburton from what I've heard.

If they are 5 proper interviews, with subsequent second ones coming up for candidates then we should know something this week in reality.

The risks involved are manager pulls himself out of the race because wait is too long, or another club comes in and steals a march on us.

If any of those, and we know Ross is definitely one, is going to sit down again with Evans this week and is able to blow him away then they will get the job.

If Sherwood's backroom arrangements (and perhaps any fan reaction to him) are considered prohibitive and Parker thought to be too green then presumably it's between Stam, Ross and Warburton in that case. Of those three, I hope it's Ross ...

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:41 - May 14 with 7071 viewsNo9

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:24 - May 14 by Herbivore

Think of the timing

If they haven't yet given Mr Hurst a first interview to keep anyone else hanging on for another 2 -3 weeks or more could be seen by others as being rude.
Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:42 - May 14 with 7068 viewsGuthrum

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:24 - May 14 by Herbivore

Assuming Ross is genuinely a good candidate (and is willing to fit into the ITFC project), then it is probably worth running the risk that Hurst turns out to be even better. A decent outcome is better than perhaps falling short in trying to make a superb one.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:42 - May 14 with 7067 viewsSWGF

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:21 - May 14 by homer_123

Without wanting to be a kill joy, he did turn Barnsley down.

I'm not putting us on par with Barnsley, merely pointing out that Ross "wasn't just guffing" when he stated that he wants to be able to progress.

1st Interview v 2nd Interview for example.

Has he met Evans yet? Was the 1st interview just Milne? He may not see ITFC as his logical next stepping stone?

Saying all the above, if he's happy to come for a 2nd interview, then he's got to think it probably is the right fit for him.

Milne would not be involved, unless Jack Ross has a sideline in providing tea bags to the retail environment.

Re: Barnsley, he obviously saw that car crash coming.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:43 - May 14 with 7061 viewsKieran_Knows

Pretty much what yourself and others have said, I can't see Ross having another interview, only for Evans to say, 'thanks Jack, but can you wait 3 weeks whilst I see how Shrewsbury get on'.

He won't want that, and neither will St Mirren. As you say, if he impresses this week, the job 'should' be his.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:44 - May 14 with 7043 viewsHerbivore

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:42 - May 14 by Guthrum

Assuming Ross is genuinely a good candidate (and is willing to fit into the ITFC project), then it is probably worth running the risk that Hurst turns out to be even better. A decent outcome is better than perhaps falling short in trying to make a superb one.

I think on balance that is the gamble that is likely to be taken. I do see Ross as a more high risk appointment, though also an interesting one.

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:46 - May 14 with 7026 viewsitfcjoe

Jack Ross' job to lose now surely? on 08:40 - May 14 by Herbivore

It's certainly a tricky one, for me I still see Hurst as the best candidate but I do also like the sound of Ross. I think he's a much bigger gamble though and not necessarily as good a fit for what we need right now, but he'd be an exciting appointment and one we can all get behind.

A thought that just occurred to me, I wonder whether the timing of Ross' second interview was timed to coincide with us knowing whether Shrewsbury were still in the play offs or not. It might be that he's not really prepared to wait until the end of the month for Hurst but would have been keen to speak to him if the Shrews had got knocked out of the play offs. Who knows, it's certainly a big call for ME either way.

I think his first interview was on Thursday, so whilst it is mostly just co-incidence and timing it worked like that I'm sure that it was a consideration. Had the PO Finals been this coming weekend then I'm sure process would have been stretched out a bit further but unfortunately not the case.

I've said previously if between Hurst and Ross I'd prefer JR, that's not necessarily saying he is best candidate, but that he could be very special. With Hurst I just don't see that, I see him over achieving on a budget like Mick did though, but not by a big enough extent. Hurst is far safer choice and would be a good one too.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024