Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I really really hope Hurst knows the championship 21:40 - Jul 30 with 2968 viewsVic

and proves to be a good judge of lower league players.

If he doesn’t we’re really going to struggle. If he does then ME’s new risky way forward will be seen as a stroke of genius and surely copied by others.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 22:03 - Jul 30 with 2833 viewsdavblue

it’s nice to see in a way but if 3or 4 of them don’t come off then we could be in trouble. I would like to see a couple of proven players come in but they won’t come cheap.

I’m excited by it but apprehensive at the same time.
I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 22:08 - Jul 30 with 2799 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Every year there are plenty of players that make the step up.

3 teams full of them come up each year and it would be extremely rare for all 3 to go straight back down.

We already have a backbone of a side that finished 12th in this division last season.

Hurst has not started with the team that he would have brought up from League 1 (indeed he hasn't as yet gone back for a single one of them). He has instead taken players I am sure he knows would have significantly improved Shrewsbury.

I am excited by the prospect of next season. As excited as I was when we signed Priskin … oh!

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 22:27 - Jul 30 with 2706 viewsbluefunk

this isn't any more risky than employing a manager with a (any) different approach. The style of football Hurst wants to play works at any level, as long as you have the right players, willing to work for the Manager. He is retaining and recruiting players who he believes will be capable of playing his way and he has a track record of success in lower leagues - that indicates he knows what he is about, both in terms of style and picking a player, the unknown is the same as it always is , this is football.
I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 22:41 - Jul 30 with 2638 viewslinhdi

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 22:27 - Jul 30 by bluefunk

this isn't any more risky than employing a manager with a (any) different approach. The style of football Hurst wants to play works at any level, as long as you have the right players, willing to work for the Manager. He is retaining and recruiting players who he believes will be capable of playing his way and he has a track record of success in lower leagues - that indicates he knows what he is about, both in terms of style and picking a player, the unknown is the same as it always is , this is football.

His "style" is a bit of Ranieri's successful Leicester (build on defence, break fast, on the deck, in force) and a bit of Pochettino's Spurs (pressing game, aim to win the ball back quickly, tackle in pairs if need be). It requires the right players, and a high level of fitness.

I'm excited. Time will tell if I should be!
I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 22:47 - Jul 30 with 2614 viewsVic

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 22:27 - Jul 30 by bluefunk

Oh I agree - I’m excited (with a touch of nerves!) and way the team have been improved game on game pre season, culminating with a very good performance against WHU suggests things could go better than most dared hope.

But I’m just musing on the fact that what ME and Hurst are doing is quite different to what other clubs have done before. Most clubs seem to buy a couple of players from lower leagues but others from the same league, so buying all new players from lower leagues is a new thing and , so it contains represents a fair degree of risk - as acknowledged by ME in his interview.

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 22:54 - Jul 30 with 2595 viewsGuthrum

He evidently does know lower-division players, judging by his previous success at those levels.

As for knowing the Championship, there are a number in that boat, including Lampard, Bielsa, Moore and Potter. Unlike two of those, Hurst has at least played in the English second tier.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 23:03 - Jul 30 with 2548 viewsWadeyBlue

I did think this to, also was worried about having 3 or 4 lower league players in the first team.

However after watching Harrison and Edwards against West Ham, and the way we played, I think Hurst wont have any problems this season at all.

Got a feeling we're going to p1ss off the bookies and a lot of championship teams looking at us for an easy 3 points.

Poll: In our multicultural society and ever changing world should we offer halal food?

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 23:31 - Jul 30 with 2484 viewsGuthrum

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 23:03 - Jul 30 by WadeyBlue

I did think this to, also was worried about having 3 or 4 lower league players in the first team.

However after watching Harrison and Edwards against West Ham, and the way we played, I think Hurst wont have any problems this season at all.

Got a feeling we're going to p1ss off the bookies and a lot of championship teams looking at us for an easy 3 points.

Nah, the bookies will be quite happy if the favourites lose.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 05:29 - Jul 31 with 2299 viewsmuccletonjoe

I would take a team of lower league players over a team of sick notes any day.
I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 06:48 - Jul 31 with 2174 viewstractorshark

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 22:08 - Jul 30 by Nthsuffolkblue

Every year there are plenty of players that make the step up.

3 teams full of them come up each year and it would be extremely rare for all 3 to go straight back down.

We already have a backbone of a side that finished 12th in this division last season.

Hurst has not started with the team that he would have brought up from League 1 (indeed he hasn't as yet gone back for a single one of them). He has instead taken players I am sure he knows would have significantly improved Shrewsbury.

I am excited by the prospect of next season. As excited as I was when we signed Priskin … oh!

Very true about promoted teams from League One.
Over the past 5 years only 4 out of the 15 promoted teams have gone straight back down in their first season.
There’s been a few near misses but it shows those players can make the step up.
Like others, I’m excited but apprehensive. I don’t think we should be fooled by a decent performance against West Ham.
Our pre-season has highlighted our Achilles heel again, a lack of creativity and therefore a lack of goals.
And Waghorn’s imminent sale won’t help that.
But change was needed and I’d rather gamble with a few unknown but hungry, younger players than continue with the previous policy which was never going to get us promoted or probably relegated for that matter.
We’re bringing in permanent additions with potential. I like that.
Given Evans’ budget, it is the only way we can progress towards a possible promotion.
We may have to sell the likes of Dozzell etc in the future to fund more additions but far better to sign players with a future than players trading on the past.
I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 07:37 - Jul 31 with 2064 viewsDanFord

Why would we struggle though? It’s last seasons 12th places team minus Didz who missed half of it and Webster who missed half of it. Amazing so many have decided we only survived because of Mick the saviour.

Poll: Would you be willing to consider a new club crest?

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 08:06 - Jul 31 with 1969 viewsMullet

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 07:37 - Jul 31 by DanFord

Why would we struggle though? It’s last seasons 12th places team minus Didz who missed half of it and Webster who missed half of it. Amazing so many have decided we only survived because of Mick the saviour.

Basically Mick's team then? You seem to want it both ways.

There's inherent risk with the manager, let alone the players he's removed and got in. There always is with every season. But, it's undoubted that he's been left in the strongest position possible, has the most grace and good will afforded to him.

While it's reasonable to give him this season, after that what are we doing if Hurst isn't bettering Mick? All this talk of relegation was misleading, because it was never likely or even looked close under him, once he did indeed save us in that first season. You can't "decide" that's the case, when it happened.

Hurst is a blank slate, it's clear what he's done, but it remains to be seen what will actually happen. All the signs point to Evans continuing as was and Hurst is a key part of that. There's a big reason out of several, why Evans hired him and that's our current place in this league thanks to Mick.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 08:10 - Jul 31 with 1951 viewsPositivelyPortman

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 08:06 - Jul 31 by Mullet

Basically Mick's team then? You seem to want it both ways.

There's inherent risk with the manager, let alone the players he's removed and got in. There always is with every season. But, it's undoubted that he's been left in the strongest position possible, has the most grace and good will afforded to him.

While it's reasonable to give him this season, after that what are we doing if Hurst isn't bettering Mick? All this talk of relegation was misleading, because it was never likely or even looked close under him, once he did indeed save us in that first season. You can't "decide" that's the case, when it happened.

Hurst is a blank slate, it's clear what he's done, but it remains to be seen what will actually happen. All the signs point to Evans continuing as was and Hurst is a key part of that. There's a big reason out of several, why Evans hired him and that's our current place in this league thanks to Mick.

Let it go man.
He’s gone and he ain’t coming back.
No more dull, defensive, safety first, don’t blink sh!te.

Poll: Are we happy with the takeover?

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 08:15 - Jul 31 with 1931 viewsMullet

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 08:10 - Jul 31 by PositivelyPortman

Let it go man.
He’s gone and he ain’t coming back.
No more dull, defensive, safety first, don’t blink sh!te.

I think you've replied to the wrong post. Dan and others like him seem to need your advice though judging by this mixed up concern that Hurst might get criticism if he fails.

What I don't understand is why these predictions are taken seriously at all. They're wrong by a long way every season, much like xG and will be again this season. We should be looking at Hurst's opportunity to use Dozzell, Nydam, Downes et al. to have fit players back and improve the careers of his new boys.

To pretend either result came in a vacuum is the type of denial that's blighted fans for too long.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 08:34 - Jul 31 with 1894 viewsVic

I really really hope Hurst knows the championship on 07:37 - Jul 31 by DanFord

Hmm - we’ve also lost CCV, Connolly, Celina? Three big players for us last season, especially the first two who many of us thought were two of the best players most of the time. Add to that if Waghorn goes, that’s most of the best players in the team gone, and all replaced by lower league players. That’s why, if the players Hurst has signed don’t cut the mustard we could struggle.

I’m not sure we will struggle, but on paper I can see potential for it to be one. Like I say, I think it’s an interesting model to persue and if it’s going to work I think hurst is the man to do that. I can absolutely see now why Jack Ross wasn’t appointed as he wouldn’t have a clue about the lower league players.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024