Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FFS 11:10 - Feb 3 with 1535 viewsSitfcB

https://metro.co.uk/2019/02/03/disneys-mary-poppins-branded-racist-chimney-sweep

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

FFS on 11:33 - Feb 3 with 1464 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

A complete non story.

Journalists are lazy bastards!!

Phil excepted!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

FFS on 11:36 - Feb 3 with 1420 viewsjjblue84

This is what happens with subjective descriptions like ‘racist’, they eventually disappear up their own arse!
FFS on 11:50 - Feb 3 with 1425 viewsjeera

FFS on 11:33 - Feb 3 by Marshalls_Mullet

A complete non story.

Journalists are lazy bastards!!

Phil excepted!!

Dismissing it as racist is certainly lazy, but it is a sign of its time.

Which it would be.

I'm not sure why this is a worthy item now. The terms used in it are hardly new news.

I've not seen it since I was a child but I'd assume any modern adaptions drop any of the original language that would be out of place.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

FFS on 11:51 - Feb 3 with 1419 viewssparks

FFS on 11:50 - Feb 3 by jeera

Dismissing it as racist is certainly lazy, but it is a sign of its time.

Which it would be.

I'm not sure why this is a worthy item now. The terms used in it are hardly new news.

I've not seen it since I was a child but I'd assume any modern adaptions drop any of the original language that would be out of place.

This is where the phrase "snowflake" is actually reasonably used. Lets not be disdainful of people who are rightly disdainful of such obvious stupidity.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

FFS on 11:59 - Feb 3 with 1406 viewsjeera

FFS on 11:51 - Feb 3 by sparks

This is where the phrase "snowflake" is actually reasonably used. Lets not be disdainful of people who are rightly disdainful of such obvious stupidity.

I'm not sure if the play/book/film itself was racist. I can't say I've looked into it.

But certainly some of the characters were, which of course isn't the same thing.

FFS on 12:01 - Feb 3 with 1394 viewsDebsyAngel

How utterly stupid! One of my all time favourite films. Soot is black! Blimey what next? Me being branded a racist when I use my black mineral facemask?!!
FFS on 12:07 - Feb 3 with 1373 viewsjeera

FFS on 12:01 - Feb 3 by DebsyAngel

How utterly stupid! One of my all time favourite films. Soot is black! Blimey what next? Me being branded a racist when I use my black mineral facemask?!!

It's not necessarily referring to the soot per se.

The comments that followed from other characters upon seeing them covered in soot used racist terms.

And was in keeping with other parts of the book that used racist terms.

You only have to read books from that era and earlier to see those terms were used freely, but that doesn't mean the author or any message was racist itself, but that racist characters/attitudes were rife at the time and are portrayed as they were.

No point in hiding from any of it. Especially for educational purposes.

FFS on 12:08 - Feb 3 with 1367 viewsm14_blue

Don’t be outraged by this sort of thing, it’s just clickbait.

There have always been idiots but now one idiot says something idiotic and it’s headline news all over the world.

This isn’t proof that the ‘world has gone mad’ or ‘the PC brigade are taking over’, it’s just news outlets pushing our buttons for their own ends.
Login to get fewer ads

FFS on 12:13 - Feb 3 with 1355 viewsjeera

FFS on 12:07 - Feb 3 by jeera

It's not necessarily referring to the soot per se.

The comments that followed from other characters upon seeing them covered in soot used racist terms.

And was in keeping with other parts of the book that used racist terms.

You only have to read books from that era and earlier to see those terms were used freely, but that doesn't mean the author or any message was racist itself, but that racist characters/attitudes were rife at the time and are portrayed as they were.

No point in hiding from any of it. Especially for educational purposes.

trncbluearmy.

What are you disagreeing with?

Edit: I'll put that down as 'don't know' then.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2019 12:18]

FFS on 12:23 - Feb 3 with 1321 viewsjeera

FFS on 12:08 - Feb 3 by m14_blue

Don’t be outraged by this sort of thing, it’s just clickbait.

There have always been idiots but now one idiot says something idiotic and it’s headline news all over the world.

This isn’t proof that the ‘world has gone mad’ or ‘the PC brigade are taking over’, it’s just news outlets pushing our buttons for their own ends.

I'm even more surprised that anyone on this thread has taken the Metro effort as a proper representation of the wider point the man they've quoted was trying to make.

I've even got some idiot thinking I'm saying it's racist, because he can't read, or something.

It's not hard to follow a link and see what was said and what context.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2019 12:24]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024