Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male 22:06 - Sep 25 with 3887 viewshave_a_word_with_him

Nothing at all to do with being a terrible pundit Mark? The reverse race card rarely looks good.

https://uk.yahoo.com/sports/news/mark-lawrenson-axed-bbc-being-211853488.html
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:08 - Sep 25 with 3103 viewsBloomBlue

But if it was because he's a terrible pundit then surely Alan Shearer would have been axed years ago?
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:13 - Sep 25 with 3072 viewsjeera

I saw that earlier today.

What the feck is he on about?

He's had a better run than he deserved then comes out with this nonsense now it's someone else's turn. Does he think he's owed a continued easy income for the rest of his life?

Trying to make his departure into a discrimination matter is pretty damned bad taste.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:43 - Sep 25 with 2978 viewsJ2BLUE

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:13 - Sep 25 by jeera

I saw that earlier today.

What the feck is he on about?

He's had a better run than he deserved then comes out with this nonsense now it's someone else's turn. Does he think he's owed a continued easy income for the rest of his life?

Trying to make his departure into a discrimination matter is pretty damned bad taste.

He's probably right, at least in part. It doesn't matter though. Punditry is 1000x better replacing the likes of him, Hansen, Le Tissier and Thomson with genuinely good pundits like Alex Scott and Micah Richards.

Can we get rid of Shearer and Merson next?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:45 - Sep 25 with 2956 viewsDarth_Koont

His comments confirm he was axed for being a 65-year old Mark Lawrenson.

Pronouns: He/Him

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:50 - Sep 25 with 2932 viewsjeera

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:43 - Sep 25 by J2BLUE

He's probably right, at least in part. It doesn't matter though. Punditry is 1000x better replacing the likes of him, Hansen, Le Tissier and Thomson with genuinely good pundits like Alex Scott and Micah Richards.

Yes please. They're all stale and outdated.

He's right in the sense that it's finally caught up with him.

But as you say yourself, it's shocking some of them have got away with it for so long.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:51 - Sep 25 with 2923 viewsbungaytractor

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:43 - Sep 25 by J2BLUE

Yeah because hes old boring moaner..... always negative
The lid goes on, life goes on and the beat goes on..... even without 'lawro'
Much prefer the lovely alex scott......
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:56 - Sep 25 with 2874 viewsSwansea_Blue

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:45 - Sep 25 by Darth_Koont

He doesn’t make the best case for himself does he?! Even if i didn’t know who he was, there’s no way I’d employ him based on that interview.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:56 - Sep 25 with 2880 viewsJ2BLUE

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:51 - Sep 25 by bungaytractor

Yeah because hes old boring moaner..... always negative
The lid goes on, life goes on and the beat goes on..... even without 'lawro'
Much prefer the lovely alex scott......

He was an awful commentator. Especially for England matches where he spent 90 minutes sneering at any teams who went top 10 in the world.

Danny Murphy is a crap tribute act and is another one that needs to be binned off.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 23:04 - Sep 25 with 2858 viewsbungaytractor

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:56 - Sep 25 by J2BLUE

He was an awful commentator. Especially for England matches where he spent 90 minutes sneering at any teams who went top 10 in the world.

Danny Murphy is a crap tribute act and is another one that needs to be binned off.

Agree 100% 👍
Never liked him always sounded like he didnt want to be there and putting people down
Not keen on michah richards or danny murphy but shearer is terrible aswell
Need some new faces in there and also get rid of sam matterface
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 23:04 - Sep 25 with 2854 viewspositivity

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:56 - Sep 25 by Swansea_Blue

He doesn’t make the best case for himself does he?! Even if i didn’t know who he was, there’s no way I’d employ him based on that interview.

desperate bid for talksport or gb news?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 23:17 - Sep 25 with 2794 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

He’s pretty bland to be fair, but so are many of them. That said is Lineker really worth 1.4m a year of public money? I know he’s his own biggest fan, but someone must like him?
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 23:20 - Sep 25 with 2782 viewsbungaytractor

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 23:17 - Sep 25 by SuperKieranMcKenna

He’s pretty bland to be fair, but so are many of them. That said is Lineker really worth 1.4m a year of public money? I know he’s his own biggest fan, but someone must like him?

Think he does a good job on match of the day never got the hate towards him.... but vanessa feltz is on 400 grand year ..... id pay her that to jump in the sea..... pointless
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 23:20 - Sep 25 with 2777 viewsMattinLondon

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 23:17 - Sep 25 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Lineker is a very good anchorman who brings in some humour to MOTD. I also quite like Shearer as well.
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 23:36 - Sep 25 with 2719 viewsBLUEBEAT

A miserable, negative, unengaging commentator/pundit. don’t miss him at all.

Poll: W or W

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 09:57 - Sep 26 with 2179 viewsrickw

I think he's mostly right, I agree his punditry is lets say an acquired taste but it's also 35 years since he finished at Liverpool and most viewers can't remember that, they just know him as a pundit.

I think Lineker has done well to keep himself relevant and likeable, it also appears I'm in a minority liking Shearer!
BBC do have diversity quotas and in general that's not a bad thing, Alex Scott is good, Micah Richards is entertaining if not so knowledgeable, I always like Ian Wright on there but he doesn't seem to do so much now.

About Lawro's point about him being white, can anyone else think of a reason why Garth Crooks is still involved? He finished with Spurs in '85 so is less relevant than Lawrenson, wasn't a world class player and doesn't appear to me to have a big personality...

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 10:07 - Sep 26 with 2147 viewsDyland

Arf. He fails to recognise he made it an easy decision for the Beeb by being so bland, lacking any insight and always behind the curve. Him and Green commentating together was like listening to Statler and Waldorf but without the larfs.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 10:35 - Sep 26 with 2075 viewsChurchman

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:50 - Sep 25 by jeera

Yes please. They're all stale and outdated.

He's right in the sense that it's finally caught up with him.

But as you say yourself, it's shocking some of them have got away with it for so long.

Agree totally. Time to move on from them. I actually thought they were dreadful years ago and have been dead lucky to earn a living from it all these years. They’ve not improved.
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 10:46 - Sep 26 with 2042 viewsBluefields

Micah Richards is awful.
Hansen was an excellent pundit.
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 10:48 - Sep 26 with 2042 viewsDJR

I've always quite liked him.
Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 10:54 - Sep 26 with 2020 viewschicoazul

Have to weigh in here and defend my man. He wasn’t a terrible pundit he was a good one, funny and insightful. He was IMVHO let go because he had his time and rightfully so.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 10:58 - Sep 26 with 1989 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Are Scott and Richards good though? I'm not sure, I too am glad to see the back of those names you mention, but there is such a lack of quality in punditry.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 11:21 - Sep 26 with 1934 viewsRadlett_blue

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 22:45 - Sep 25 by Darth_Koont

I agree that pundits need freshening up every so often, but if Lawrenson was employed by the BBC, rather than being a contractor, they would have to have found another reason for axing him than his age, unless they wanted an age discrimination suit. The late John McCririck claimed age discrimination when axed form Channel 4's racing team when aged 72, but lost his case at an employment tribunal.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 11:28 - Sep 26 with 1902 viewsFBI

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 23:04 - Sep 25 by bungaytractor

Agree 100% 👍
Never liked him always sounded like he didnt want to be there and putting people down
Not keen on michah richards or danny murphy but shearer is terrible aswell
Need some new faces in there and also get rid of sam matterface

Sorry, accidental downie :-(

I saw a thing on Twitter: Sam Matterface is so boring, paint watches HIM dry.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 11:36 - Sep 26 with 1876 viewsclive_baker

Never minded Lawrenson personally, but perhaps a bit of nostalgia in that. I’ve grown up with him on MOTD and Football Focus etc, but that’s not to say it’s not someone else’s turn. His Liverpool bias was annoying too.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 11:41 - Sep 26 with 1855 viewsbungaytractor

Mark Lawrenson: I was axed by the BBC for being a 65-year-old white male on 11:36 - Sep 26 by clive_baker

Never minded Lawrenson personally, but perhaps a bit of nostalgia in that. I’ve grown up with him on MOTD and Football Focus etc, but that’s not to say it’s not someone else’s turn. His Liverpool bias was annoying too.

When i think of match of the day i still think of jimmy hill the absolute best imo
As you say its never nice to say good bye but we have to move with the times
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024