Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Say what you want about Mick in/out 19:09 - May 7 with 4277 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

the facts are:
Lowest league position since the 1950s
Were reliant on a fantastic keeper and a loan striker to avoid finishing even lower
Have treated the FA Cup with contempt and failed to get beyond 3rd round
Have played the dullest football in living memory as evidenced by the lowest ST sales for 20 years

Does anyone really fancy more of the same?
[Post edited 7 May 2017 21:48]

Poll: would you rather

Say what you want about Mick in/out on 08:25 - May 8 with 996 viewsTLA

I'm certainly not against several positive changes at the club.

However, being reliant on our player of the year, who the current management team have brought in, coached and improved is not a negative in terms of what they have achieved. Neither is identifying a great loan signing, who has helped loads. I'm not sure why these are reasons to berate the current management team, rather than praise them.

I posted elsewhere that our lowest finish (since the sixties) also reminds me that we have spent 60 years or so in the top two divisions - only 8 other clubs can claim that. For a club of our size, it's pretty impressive.

I hate our (and many clubs) treatment of the FA Cup and our football has, in my opinion, been less than pleasing on the eye.
Say what you want about Mick in/out on 09:13 - May 8 with 972 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Say what you want about Mick in/out on 08:12 - May 8 by ClausThomsen

They're all undeniable statements then.

Go on then, I'll indulge:

Lowest league position since the 50's: As pointed out earlier in the thread, not actually correct. Can also be countered by the point that the preceding 2 seasons were our best in a decade

Reliant on keeper and loan player: Opinion, not fact. As for being undeniable, personally whilst Bart has indeed been fantastic, I do think the impact of losing him is overstated by most. And Lawrence has been excellent, but no doubt next year we will continue to use the loan system to augment our squad. Finally - name me a team that wouldn't be weaker without two of their best players out

Treated FA Cup with contempt and failed to get past 3rd round: Half fact, half opinion. Agreed that edit was disappointing and very embarrassing to lose to a non-league team, although they did subsequently knock out a team promoted from our division and then a PL team

Dullest season in memory and lowest ST sales in 20 years: Opinion and guess. This year has been dreadful at times but there's plenty of competition for that honour in recent times. Season ticket numbers haven't been confirmed yet, although they do indeed look to be heading that way

So in total, half a fact from 4 👍🏿

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Say what you want about Mick in/out on 09:38 - May 8 with 952 viewsmonty_radio

Say what you want about Mick in/out on 09:13 - May 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

Lowest league position since the 50's: As pointed out earlier in the thread, not actually correct. Can also be countered by the point that the preceding 2 seasons were our best in a decade

Reliant on keeper and loan player: Opinion, not fact. As for being undeniable, personally whilst Bart has indeed been fantastic, I do think the impact of losing him is overstated by most. And Lawrence has been excellent, but no doubt next year we will continue to use the loan system to augment our squad. Finally - name me a team that wouldn't be weaker without two of their best players out

Treated FA Cup with contempt and failed to get past 3rd round: Half fact, half opinion. Agreed that edit was disappointing and very embarrassing to lose to a non-league team, although they did subsequently knock out a team promoted from our division and then a PL team

Dullest season in memory and lowest ST sales in 20 years: Opinion and guess. This year has been dreadful at times but there's plenty of competition for that honour in recent times. Season ticket numbers haven't been confirmed yet, although they do indeed look to be heading that way

"The preceding 2 seasons were our best in a decade"

"But no doubt next year we will continue to use the loan system to augment our squad"

"This year has been dreadful at times but there's plenty of competition for that honour in recent times."

A fair bit of bolstering fact with opinion there - but isn't that the fun of a forum in which everybody indulges from time to time?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Say what you want about Mick in/out on 09:39 - May 8 with 948 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Say what you want about Mick in/out on 09:38 - May 8 by monty_radio

"The preceding 2 seasons were our best in a decade"

"But no doubt next year we will continue to use the loan system to augment our squad"

"This year has been dreadful at times but there's plenty of competition for that honour in recent times."

A fair bit of bolstering fact with opinion there - but isn't that the fun of a forum in which everybody indulges from time to time?

I didn't claim them to be anything other than opinions though...

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Say what you want about Mick in/out on 09:58 - May 8 with 932 viewschislehurstblue

Say what you want about Mick in/out on 09:13 - May 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think this season goes to show how good the 6th and 7th placed finishes were. However, since then we havent really strengthen the squad and as soon as we sold Murphy and the club decided to replace him with Best you knew how this season was going to end.

At the start of the season it was clear that there was limited budget and we spent what we had well with Webster and Ward. However as soon as the spin started that having McGoldrick and Bishop was like having two new signings the writing was on the wall.

When McGoldrick got injured and Murphy was sold we replaced our two main strikers with Best and Varney. This should tell the fans how bad the funds are at the club. This isnt the type of transfer dealings which show the club to have any ambition. For those that think MM would have been happy with either need to really think about it.........Varney was released by MM in the summer. Clearly the budget only allowed for these type of players.

The squad was crying out for reinforcements at Xmas - even the players were saying so. We spent £110k. Again not the statement of intent by the club of "we got this wrong, we need to improve the squad".

If people cant see that 90% of teams now dont care about the FA Cup then we have bigger issues. Brighton and Burnley didnt care either.

I have no doubt that like Fraser last season and Lawrence this season MM will get in a player on loan that can make a difference and will be a player that we could never afford to buy but will be a big player for us.

Whilst the season has been dull, I am not sure its all down to the style of football that has lead to the reduction of ST sales. The decision will come down to a number of factors - Style of football, chances of promotion, another season in the Championship and price increase. To say its all about MM is silly. One thing I have learnt about people from Suffolk, is that they are lemmings and generally unable to have their own opinions / views and rely on the local press for their thoughts and then feel safer in groups.

Its interesting that the deluded fans say its all down to Bart that we have stayed up. Surely then the defence itself has also played a part?? Yet the same fans hate Chambers at RB and feel that Berra has had it. Very odd.
Say what you want about Mick in/out on 10:14 - May 8 with 920 viewsmonty_radio

Say what you want about Mick in/out on 09:39 - May 8 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I didn't claim them to be anything other than opinions though...

Fun is its own justification.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024