Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate could be a national gem 19:22 - May 30 with 960 viewswkj

I am a huge fan of Southgate as England manager- Even if he takes some time to get results, he is already mentally seeming to handle the job much better than previous managers - The following quote from a recent article springs to mind:

"Southgate added it was "impossible to say" whether Manchester United striker Rooney, who has scored 53 goals in 119 international appearances, would play for England again and that "form will dictate" his inclusion."

He is being blunt about players needing to be in form for their clubs essentially, and it is nice to see a head coach actually dictating a player's future international involvement; and not the players themselves "I will be here until this world cup, or that euro championship"

Now the true test will be if Southgate gets to a major tournament and go with a fresh in form team, or if he will say rollocks to helping us qualify- time to bring the Old Boys Club in.

Full Article - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40092053
[Post edited 30 May 2017 19:27]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Southgate could be a national gem on 10:13 - May 31 with 762 viewsrickw

I'm not so sure!
Rooney scored as many league goals in the last month of the season (3) as Rashford (0), Defoe (1) and Vardy (2) added together, so it's arguable to say its games or forms why Rooney was dropped.

Southgate said it was the form of the other strikers which has kept Rooney out, but when we have a squad with 4 keepers, 3 right backs, 5 (or 6 with Dier) center backs I think he could easily make a space for him if he wanted to....

To me this seems similar to when McClaren dropped Beckham - an inexperienced manager trying to prove to the public he can make the tough decisions and no player is bigger than himself, whether it's the right or wrong call.

I also disagree with not finding space for Barkley or Michael Keane. Keane was excellent last time and now Cahill (fair enough), injury prone Jones + Smalling, John Error Stones (great potential terrible form and game time!) and Ben Gibson have been called up ahead of him

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Southgate could be a national gem on 10:35 - May 31 with 734 viewsLord_Lucan

Southgate could be a national gem on 10:13 - May 31 by rickw

I'm not so sure!
Rooney scored as many league goals in the last month of the season (3) as Rashford (0), Defoe (1) and Vardy (2) added together, so it's arguable to say its games or forms why Rooney was dropped.

Southgate said it was the form of the other strikers which has kept Rooney out, but when we have a squad with 4 keepers, 3 right backs, 5 (or 6 with Dier) center backs I think he could easily make a space for him if he wanted to....

To me this seems similar to when McClaren dropped Beckham - an inexperienced manager trying to prove to the public he can make the tough decisions and no player is bigger than himself, whether it's the right or wrong call.

I also disagree with not finding space for Barkley or Michael Keane. Keane was excellent last time and now Cahill (fair enough), injury prone Jones + Smalling, John Error Stones (great potential terrible form and game time!) and Ben Gibson have been called up ahead of him

Whilst you have a valid point it is entirely possible to score more goals than the other strikers and still be playing awful. Not saying Rooney has been playing awful (I don't know) but I think (hope) what Southgate is saying is that just because you are who you are does not mean you will be sure to play. Other things come into the equation as well - compatibility, system etc etc

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024