Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Understanding Scotland's Political Stature 11:29 - Jun 9 with 670 viewswkj

In the past couple of elections we've seen Scotland go from a significanly Labour supporting area, to the SNP, and low and behold something I would never have thought to see was that amount of seats turning blue

I realise there was a bitter falling out between Labour and Scotland, so am I to assume that Scotland was merely trying to vote tactically to keep labour out, or are they genuinely growing Tory support?

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Understanding Scotland's Political Stature on 11:30 - Jun 9 with 659 viewsSteve_M

People don't like living in a one-party state where they are taken for granted; the SNP having to actually govern couldn't just fall back on blaming Westminster for everything. And also a large number of Scots don't want another referendum.

In short, more normal politics.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Understanding Scotland's Political Stature on 11:36 - Jun 9 with 642 viewsDarth_Koont

The Unionist or anti-indyref2 vote was clearly the biggest factor. Sturgeon needs to take that off the agenda.

The Tory wins came in the more rural areas which are more conservative relatively so they were the tactical vote for stopping indyref2, with Labour and the LibDems also splitting the centre-left/left vote on top of that.

So overall, I severely doubt there's any real growing appetite for Conservative policy in Scotland.

Pronouns: He/Him

Understanding Scotland's Political Stature on 11:49 - Jun 9 with 616 viewsWeWereZombies

Understanding Scotland's Political Stature on 11:36 - Jun 9 by Darth_Koont

The Unionist or anti-indyref2 vote was clearly the biggest factor. Sturgeon needs to take that off the agenda.

The Tory wins came in the more rural areas which are more conservative relatively so they were the tactical vote for stopping indyref2, with Labour and the LibDems also splitting the centre-left/left vote on top of that.

So overall, I severely doubt there's any real growing appetite for Conservative policy in Scotland.

You don't think there is an anti-austerity element to it then? Not that the SNP are doing much more than running a tight budget (maybe an SNP / Tory coalition would be logical, apart from the independence issue they are closer than they have ever been) but Nicola has been abrasive when she could have been conciliatory. And then there is the 'everything gets spent on the Central Belt' perception that loses votes outside the cities, whether it is true or not.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Understanding Scotland's Political Stature on 12:01 - Jun 9 with 600 viewsDarth_Koont

Understanding Scotland's Political Stature on 11:49 - Jun 9 by WeWereZombies

You don't think there is an anti-austerity element to it then? Not that the SNP are doing much more than running a tight budget (maybe an SNP / Tory coalition would be logical, apart from the independence issue they are closer than they have ever been) but Nicola has been abrasive when she could have been conciliatory. And then there is the 'everything gets spent on the Central Belt' perception that loses votes outside the cities, whether it is true or not.

Possibly, but I really don't believe that anyone thinks the Tories are an anti-austerity vote in Scotland.

And the only reason that they are close is that the SNP has to manage UK Tory funding while trying to show they are fiscally responsible too.

On a side note, Ruth Davidson deserves huge credit. I disagree with her politics, although we might hear how much she offers a far more centre-right conservatism in the wake of the overall Tory failure, but there's no doubt that she's trustworthy and personable which on its own pays huge dividends.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024