Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One for the programmers 22:11 - Jul 30 with 1850 viewswkj

Last year I had to take a crash course in C++ because the powers that be deemed we needed fundamental knowledge of a general purpose language when testing software. The experience was tough but incredibly rewarding. However they are now wanting to have us learn Python 3, which is much harder (to me) and an in demand general purpose language at the moment.

Has anyone else had to learn Python 3, and if so what are your suggested resources and learning tools. Sololearn.com is as always a very good website teaching the basics of the language, but not as good with the application of it- needless to say that is what I am currently pouring over.
[Post edited 30 Jul 2017 22:13]

Premier Poster. Too good to be elite.
Poll: Who do you want to see join us IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

One for the programmers on 22:24 - Jul 30 with 1819 viewsHegarty

I studied a very similar language for a while (ruby and the ruby on rails framework) and found khanacademy &, treehouse very useful. I also found the pre course material at gotealeaf really useful.

https://teamtreehouse.com/learn/python?cid=1027&utm_content=sitelink&gclid=Cj0KC

Also worth checking out https://www.coursera.org that offer free university level courses to the masses. I did a python course when that first started a few years ago so probably even better now!
One for the programmers on 22:28 - Jul 30 with 1804 viewswkj

One for the programmers on 22:24 - Jul 30 by Hegarty

I studied a very similar language for a while (ruby and the ruby on rails framework) and found khanacademy &, treehouse very useful. I also found the pre course material at gotealeaf really useful.

https://teamtreehouse.com/learn/python?cid=1027&utm_content=sitelink&gclid=Cj0KC

Also worth checking out https://www.coursera.org that offer free university level courses to the masses. I did a python course when that first started a few years ago so probably even better now!

Thanks for that, I am aware of teamtreehouse, but I wasnt aware coursera was free. I will check those out, ta

One for the programmers on 22:35 - Jul 30 with 1790 viewsHegarty

One for the programmers on 22:28 - Jul 30 by wkj

Thanks for that, I am aware of teamtreehouse, but I wasnt aware coursera was free. I will check those out, ta

I just checked and it seems it might not be so free anymore although I swear it was when I last visited! Anyhow free 7 day trial and then £37 per month although you might still be able to get some for free?
[Post edited 30 Jul 2017 22:35]
One for the programmers on 22:47 - Jul 30 with 1768 viewsStokieBlue

It obviously depends on your current knowledge but found the best thing for me was to give myself a project and then just work it out. Writing "Hello World" each time you want to learn becomes tiresome rather quickly. That's how I learnt Python.

Python is great though and a useful thing to have on your CV as it's in pretty high demand.

SB

Avatar - M51 - The Whirlpool Galaxy - Taken on 29th April 2024

One for the programmers on 00:07 - Jul 31 with 1708 viewswkj

One for the programmers on 22:47 - Jul 30 by StokieBlue

It obviously depends on your current knowledge but found the best thing for me was to give myself a project and then just work it out. Writing "Hello World" each time you want to learn becomes tiresome rather quickly. That's how I learnt Python.

Python is great though and a useful thing to have on your CV as it's in pretty high demand.

SB

Indeed, Hello World does get a bit boring each time a new language is learnt. My knowedge of C++ is very basic, think of it as, I am someone that can understand french, but not speak it, as I never have, and likely ever will need to actually write in it, just understand it from a trouble shooting POV. What is interesting is us needing to know Python 3 because we dont deal with scripts, rather just compiled programs, so probably there be changes on the horizon in our company... deep... joy

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024