Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Well who would have thought it....? 10:40 - Nov 9 with 1380 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/nov/09/uk-will-back-total-ban-on-be

We have lost 75% of flying insects. A radio 4 programme last week referred to 'moth snow' as recently ad the 80's, near white out in car headlights at night due to the numbers of moths and motorcyclists visors being caked in dead insects.
As an aside, if scientists allow this stuff to be used, does anybody know/trust the processes by which they determine whether or not these and other chemicals are carcinogenic to humans over decades of exposure.
How does 'the market' pay for the research into these matters........mmmmmm!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Well who would have thought it....? on 10:56 - Nov 9 with 1348 viewsGlasgowBlue

Gove doing the same in the Environment post as he did in justice and going completely against most people's perceptions of how he will act.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Well who would have thought it....? on 11:01 - Nov 9 with 1332 viewsNo9

This ban was in place before the then SoS (Truss) changed the rules under commercial pressure.
Well who would have thought it....? on 12:02 - Nov 9 with 1295 viewsgerard1947

I'm amazed at the amount of chemicals used on our food whilst it is growing. My garden backs onto farmland so I witness the spraying as it goes on. It seems all crops get it but the one that gets most is the humble spud. In the summer the field is sprayed for blight up to 3 times a week depending on weather, at the same time they often spread a slug killer too. There must be residue that finds its way to the potato.

Another problem with pesticides is they cause an imbalance in the insect population. Insects are vital to our survival, no pollination no human race. Insect predates on insect. Once the balance goes it leaves gaps for other more harmful pests to prosper. An example may be the Allium Miner, a relatively recent problem, it attacks onions, leeks, garlic etc. I've got it in my leeks this year for the first time. Gardeners cannot buy chemicals to control it and there is little that can be done except for micro netting your plants to stop it getting in.

We are just getting over the effects of DTT in the '50s and the devastating effect had on our birds and other wildlife. Once the danger is spotted often the damage is already done.

An old gardener once said to me "we think we can control nature but in the end it will control us". He is probably right and the earth may well be here long after the human race has poisoned itself.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2017 12:04]
Well who would have thought it....? on 13:17 - Nov 9 with 1240 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Well who would have thought it....? on 12:02 - Nov 9 by gerard1947

I'm amazed at the amount of chemicals used on our food whilst it is growing. My garden backs onto farmland so I witness the spraying as it goes on. It seems all crops get it but the one that gets most is the humble spud. In the summer the field is sprayed for blight up to 3 times a week depending on weather, at the same time they often spread a slug killer too. There must be residue that finds its way to the potato.

Another problem with pesticides is they cause an imbalance in the insect population. Insects are vital to our survival, no pollination no human race. Insect predates on insect. Once the balance goes it leaves gaps for other more harmful pests to prosper. An example may be the Allium Miner, a relatively recent problem, it attacks onions, leeks, garlic etc. I've got it in my leeks this year for the first time. Gardeners cannot buy chemicals to control it and there is little that can be done except for micro netting your plants to stop it getting in.

We are just getting over the effects of DTT in the '50s and the devastating effect had on our birds and other wildlife. Once the danger is spotted often the damage is already done.

An old gardener once said to me "we think we can control nature but in the end it will control us". He is probably right and the earth may well be here long after the human race has poisoned itself.
[Post edited 9 Nov 2017 12:04]

Couldn't agree more Gerard.......we are also surrounded on 3 sided by fields, I am always alarmed to watch as a man on a quadbike liberally scatters slug pellets and later watch owls and other birds feeding there.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Well who would have thought it....? on 13:31 - Nov 9 with 1214 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sounds good, assuming they do actually back the ban. But Give is certainly making the right noises. Be interesting to now see what the farming community do, as they won't take this lying down.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024