Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Evans, the new face of ITFC! 17:41 - Apr 25 with 1271 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Seems that his interview was generally viewed in a positive light. I wonder how many more season tickets will be renewed now. Call me cynical, but that was the objective of the exercise, wasn't it?

I personally would have preferred a bit more substance and detail. Also, I am not convinced that he is keeping to his own 5 point plan/strategy, not that it is necesarily a recipe for success, even if he did!

The 5 points:

1 — ‘To provide a significant ongoing financial commitment to the club’s academy, enabling a steady flow of players into the first-team’

Whatever the criticism, we do seem to be producing some fine prospects just lately. Hope that these youngsters can "kick on". Would describe it as more of a trickle than a flow at the moment though.

2 — ‘To provide a sustainable and competitive squad salary budget’

As the 16-18th highest wage bill in a league of 24, hardly competitive, is it?

3 — ‘To make annual investment funds available to purchase players in the early stages of their career and to assist in their development’

Recruitment has generally been good, but will we lose our chief scout (and any network he might have) when McCarthy gets another job? An anecdote from a friend who runs a successful boys/youth team in Essex: they have had scouts visit from Wham, Spurs, Southend, ColU, Millwall, and Nodge in recent years, but never a visit from an Ipswich scout.

For obvious reasons, he will not disclose the trasfer budget, but it appears to be no more than £1.5m per season, not including player sales, which would probably make it more like -£1.5m p.a. in recent seasons.

4 — ‘Maintaining a stable management and coaching team’

Clearly, this has been Evans' aim, which is why McCarthy would still be here now, if he hadn't wanted to walk himself. Evans lets a hell of a lot ride on getting the right manager though, every time! If he gets the next one wrong, we could have a very tough season indeed, as Evans does not seem to plan ahead for all eventualities.

I would rather have a stable structure under a DoF with a clear footballing philosophy. All coaches, including the 1st team coach, would be picked to fit into that structure, coaching the same style of football, leading to coach progression from within. i.e. we train our own academy coaches with the objective of moving the better ones up the ladder, to aspire to eventually become 1st team coach, when ready. That would be true, and longer term, stability.

5 — ‘To develop a team to play attractive and exciting football’
Should be a given, much like having a flat and green playing surface, painted turnstiles, and a democratically elected supporter representative at board meetings.
Evans, the new face of ITFC! on 17:51 - Apr 25 with 1241 viewssimoitfc

I get the 5 point plan he wants to implement I do but when you have a manager who wants to loan in players who are over the hill rather than play the youth there will always be a issue.carayol and Gleeson for the amount of minutes they have had we would of been better using youth.waste of wages
Evans, the new face of ITFC! on 23:55 - Apr 25 with 1082 viewsmadmouse1959

I am probably one of the few who was not fooled by Evans sudden appearance and pre-season ticket rallying call.

shampoo dave

Evans, the new face of ITFC! on 01:33 - Apr 26 with 1045 viewsHARRY10

Evans, the new face of ITFC! on 23:55 - Apr 25 by madmouse1959

I am probably one of the few who was not fooled by Evans sudden appearance and pre-season ticket rallying call.

And that was all that it was really about, short time funding via ST sales rather than any new long tern planning or investment.

It not that supporters do not want to hear from you, more that you don't to be held to account when nothing happens.

The state of the pitch should tell us all we need to know - a sad reflection of the years of penny pinching and skimping. None of which are likely to be changed if your interview was anything to go by,
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024