Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
George and Terry 10:28 - May 5 with 7216 viewsitfc1981

Given what we have endured - it seems a very high % of Town fans would welcome this.

Sort it Marcus!

Poll: Should Mick stick with Chambers at RB?

George and Terry on 15:08 - May 5 with 1813 viewsGuthrum

George and Terry on 14:28 - May 5 by Johnny_Boy

Maybe you should be asking Neil Harris or Alex Neil that question.

Preston did buy a few decent players over the last couple of years. With Millwall it's a matter of simple things done well. And both look like they will probably fall short this season (unfortunately, as I'd rather see one of them in the play-offs than profligate Derby).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

George and Terry on 15:42 - May 5 with 1787 viewsLeoMuff

George and Terry on 14:28 - May 5 by Johnny_Boy

Maybe you should be asking Neil Harris or Alex Neil that question.

Ah so we are aspiring to 8th place now ? We spent half of this season around that spot with this squad

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

George and Terry on 18:05 - May 5 with 1755 viewsHennikerBlu

George and Terry on 13:52 - May 5 by Johnny_Boy

Our squad needs rebuilding. From top to bottom.
To think the previous manager left us in a rosey positive situation is so far from reality.
"He's given us back our club" they all lauded. But he's left it in total disrepair on & off the pitch.

That statement from Burley about players not even being able to pass the ball properly.
You mention short termism. Ironically. We've just had 5yrs of that.

Sadly no money......ME made that crystal.

On the player side, I think we have a reasonable squad that needs strengthening of course and the injury situation requires a new approach.

How will GB attract new talent when he has been out of the game for awhile and does not have the contacts he used to have? Genuine question.
George and Terry on 18:08 - May 5 with 1753 viewsHennikerBlu

George and Terry on 12:20 - May 5 by Guthrum

For one thing, we haven't 'endured' that much, really. No relegations, no financial collapse. Just the football's been a bit boring.

Secondly, who the fans may or may not welcome shouldn't be the prime consideration whan selecting a football manager, compared with competence, skillset, philosophy or experience.

That having been said, Burley has a pretty good managerial track record and still possesses a switched-on football brain. Worthy of consideration, but not necessarily a shoo-in.

To add to your good post, Burley still needed to spend for that next step not sure how he would feel about the fund situation.
George and Terry on 18:11 - May 5 with 1746 viewsSuperfrans

George and Terry on 11:31 - May 5 by Johnny_Boy

On the contrary.

- Anyone happy to publicly discuss their footballing philosophy shouldn't be seen as a negative.

- Anyone vocally expressing how they will positively change the club should be welcomed, not dismissed.

The club isn't in a fantastic place right now & it needs an overhaul.

I think we should be able to compete with the best in our division.
We should start matches intending to attack the opposition and win games.
We should not worry about them, we should make them worry about us.
We should be targeting play offs at least, automatic promotion within time.
And once we’re in the Premiership, we should be targeting Europe.

Now, can I have the job?

Poll: What is your voting intention on December 12?
Blog: Dear Martin Samuel...

George and Terry on 18:13 - May 5 with 1744 viewsSuperfrans

George and Terry on 13:52 - May 5 by Johnny_Boy

Our squad needs rebuilding. From top to bottom.
To think the previous manager left us in a rosey positive situation is so far from reality.
"He's given us back our club" they all lauded. But he's left it in total disrepair on & off the pitch.

That statement from Burley about players not even being able to pass the ball properly.
You mention short termism. Ironically. We've just had 5yrs of that.

Appointing Burley would be a cataclysmic decision. We’d be in League One within two years.

Maybe within one - especially if he starts off by walking into the dressing room and telling our players they can’t pass the ball properly.

George and Terry on 18:49 - May 5 with 1704 viewsblueislander

George and Terry on 18:13 - May 5 by Superfrans

Appointing Burley would be a cataclysmic decision. We’d be in League One within two years.

Maybe within one - especially if he starts off by walking into the dressing room and telling our players they can’t pass the ball properly.

What on earth makes you think that he would say that?. They passed the ball very well last Saturday.. i am sure that he would take a good look at the squad before jumping to conclusions, and making sweeping stat ements.
George and Terry on 18:58 - May 5 with 1698 viewsSuperfrans

George and Terry on 18:49 - May 5 by blueislander

What on earth makes you think that he would say that?. They passed the ball very well last Saturday.. i am sure that he would take a good look at the squad before jumping to conclusions, and making sweeping stat ements.

I’m responding to a comment in the previous post:

“That statement from Burley about players not even being able to pass the ball properly.“

Login to get fewer ads

George and Terry on 19:00 - May 5 with 1695 viewsblueislander

George and Terry on 18:58 - May 5 by Superfrans

I’m responding to a comment in the previous post:

“That statement from Burley about players not even being able to pass the ball properly.“

What was the context of that statement from Burley?
George and Terry on 19:02 - May 5 with 1693 viewsSuperfrans

George and Terry on 19:00 - May 5 by blueislander

What was the context of that statement from Burley?

I have no idea. Ask Johnny.

But I presume it’s a suggestion our players can’t pass the ball properly, or why bring it up?
[Post edited 5 May 2018 19:02]

George and Terry on 19:08 - May 5 with 1680 viewsSuperfrans

George and Terry on 14:58 - May 5 by Guthrum

I think with McCarthy it was a case of "repeat the formula until a roll of the dice succeeds". That same formula which did get us in the play-offs, but was subsequently scuppered by injury, lack of player form/ability/acquisition and too much defensiveness when things were going badly.

For a realistic tilt at the Prem, if no extra money is being spent, then we need a really tight, integrated plan - probably building over several seasons - with some inbuilt proofing against the issues which plagued McCarthy's later period. And not to be knocked off that path by adversity (short, obviously, of risking relegation).

I don’t disagree that we need to demonstrate some ambition, at least show some in our actions - having a go in the cup, saying that we are trying to make playoffs, stop referring constantly to our players as not being good enough. I’ve been to fan events where even our players say that we don’t have the best players. Surely a manager should try building the players up as a group, not knock them back. I admire Mick’s practicality and pragmatism in lots of ways, but it only goes so far.

All that being said, even if Burley is saying the right things, that’s the easiest bit. It doesn’t make him the right candidate as our next manager.

George and Terry on 19:11 - May 5 with 1676 viewsblueislander

George and Terry on 19:02 - May 5 by Superfrans

I have no idea. Ask Johnny.

But I presume it’s a suggestion our players can’t pass the ball properly, or why bring it up?
[Post edited 5 May 2018 19:02]

It may have been made in the context of the style of football the first team have been playing. It is difficult to imagine Burley being that critical of players with whom he is not familiar.
George and Terry on 20:04 - May 5 with 1653 viewsSonOfSpock

George and Terry on 14:52 - May 5 by Guthrum

Is that what Evans actually said?

Or was it that they were going to try something 'different, but calculated' with the team/system/style/philosophy/integration of the club/etc. and would get a manager who was capable of implementing it?

It could mean anything. Not playing hoofball is/will be different.

However, I don't see how bringing back a former manager who left 15+ years ago is different.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024