Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sir bobby Documentary 09:14 - May 16 with 2282 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Has it aired yet?

I hope it shows how the Geordies hounded hum out 4 games into the season. That seems to get glossed over by that particular set of fans.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sir bobby Documentary on 09:21 - May 16 with 2258 viewsRadlett_blue

The Geordies get very sensitive if you suggest that to them. Allegedly, it was Freddy Shepherd (& Douglas Hall, who was a pale imitation of his father) who fired SBR & some of it was down to dressing room discontent - I think SBR struggled with the attitudes of some of the modern, highly paid players. SBR also made himself unpopular with some of the fans after criticising the fact that only 5,000 had stayed behind for the lap of honour at the end of the previous season. There had also been friction between SBR & Shepherd after he said, probably correctly, that Newcastle's training ground & scouting network were both inadequate.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Sir bobby Documentary on 09:34 - May 16 with 2220 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sir bobby Documentary on 09:21 - May 16 by Radlett_blue

The Geordies get very sensitive if you suggest that to them. Allegedly, it was Freddy Shepherd (& Douglas Hall, who was a pale imitation of his father) who fired SBR & some of it was down to dressing room discontent - I think SBR struggled with the attitudes of some of the modern, highly paid players. SBR also made himself unpopular with some of the fans after criticising the fact that only 5,000 had stayed behind for the lap of honour at the end of the previous season. There had also been friction between SBR & Shepherd after he said, probably correctly, that Newcastle's training ground & scouting network were both inadequate.

It annoys me how on some reports his time at Ipswich is almost a footnote in his career.

NUFC think that by erecting a statue that all is forgotten.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Sir bobby Documentary on 09:54 - May 16 with 2171 viewsbenno1uk

I doubt it will show Newcastle in a bad light adly, as they are probably one of the biggest target markets for the film (although I can't for the life of me see why they revere him so much as he never played for them and his management of them was probably the lowest point of his career, and as you say, he was sacked).
[Post edited 16 May 2018 9:54]
Sir bobby Documentary on 09:54 - May 16 with 2170 viewsPinewoodblue

Sir bobby Documentary on 09:34 - May 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

It annoys me how on some reports his time at Ipswich is almost a footnote in his career.

NUFC think that by erecting a statue that all is forgotten.

Ipswich was the foundation on which everything else was built, doubt the documentary gives that impression.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Sir bobby Documentary on 10:14 - May 16 with 2128 viewscrazyblue68

Sir bobby Documentary on 09:54 - May 16 by Pinewoodblue

Ipswich was the foundation on which everything else was built, doubt the documentary gives that impression.

It will be so bias towards Newcastle. You can see it now. Those fans didnt deserve the man. Most of them booed and hounded him out at the time. All that seems to have been written out of their history though. Im always pleased to hear "we never sacked Bobby Robson" ring out whenever we play them, just so they never completely forget the truth.
Sir bobby Documentary on 10:26 - May 16 with 2095 viewsNo9

It is very surprising how few young people actually know Sir Bob was at ITFC.
A litmus test I use with 'football fans' is "Which teamis the only team in English football to provide England with two managers' = blank stares
Manu U, Liverpool et al are offered - never Ipswich.
"what did those tw managers achieve" = more blank stares.

are they really football suporters or watchers of what the media wants them to know?

A very sad state of affairs
Sir bobby Documentary on 10:29 - May 16 with 2086 viewsvilanovablue

Sir bobby Documentary on 10:26 - May 16 by No9

It is very surprising how few young people actually know Sir Bob was at ITFC.
A litmus test I use with 'football fans' is "Which teamis the only team in English football to provide England with two managers' = blank stares
Manu U, Liverpool et al are offered - never Ipswich.
"what did those tw managers achieve" = more blank stares.

are they really football suporters or watchers of what the media wants them to know?

A very sad state of affairs

It really is as probably one of Ipswich's bigger claims to fame providing England's 2 most successful managers...
Sir bobby Documentary on 10:32 - May 16 with 2077 viewsNo9

Sir bobby Documentary on 10:29 - May 16 by vilanovablue

It really is as probably one of Ipswich's bigger claims to fame providing England's 2 most successful managers...

It doesn't show the media in a very good light either.
Not only do they gloss over the Ipswich years they also fail to show how Sir Bob struggled to get into get back into English football and, with any Chairman other than Mr John, may well not have made it?
Login to get fewer ads

Sir bobby Documentary on 10:55 - May 16 with 2033 viewsbenno1uk

Sir bobby Documentary on 10:14 - May 16 by crazyblue68

It will be so bias towards Newcastle. You can see it now. Those fans didnt deserve the man. Most of them booed and hounded him out at the time. All that seems to have been written out of their history though. Im always pleased to hear "we never sacked Bobby Robson" ring out whenever we play them, just so they never completely forget the truth.

It's funny how fans hounding out a manager seems to get whitewashed from history when it doesn't suit them. See also Charlton and (hopefully) Arsenal.
Sir bobby Documentary on 11:14 - May 16 with 1992 viewsBluespeed225

As said, target markets and all that. If we were in the Prem’, we would no doubt play a major part. 13 years of his career ffs! If you have the chance, check out the ‘True Geordie’ podcast on YouTube. 3 hours of Kieron Dyer chatting round a table. I’m sure a lot of it is in his book, but listening to his description of Newcastle and SBR is really interesting. Has anyone seen the doc’ yet? Hope we get a good turn out down here next Friday.
Sir bobby Documentary on 11:19 - May 16 with 1977 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sir bobby Documentary on 11:14 - May 16 by Bluespeed225

As said, target markets and all that. If we were in the Prem’, we would no doubt play a major part. 13 years of his career ffs! If you have the chance, check out the ‘True Geordie’ podcast on YouTube. 3 hours of Kieron Dyer chatting round a table. I’m sure a lot of it is in his book, but listening to his description of Newcastle and SBR is really interesting. Has anyone seen the doc’ yet? Hope we get a good turn out down here next Friday.

Hopefully we will be surprised.

Like you say, its about target markets etc, and having a trailer featuring a lot of Ipswich footage has no glamour to most.

Hopefully the actual documentary will do SBR justice and give some focus on the time that laid the foundations for his whole career.
[Post edited 16 May 2018 11:20]

Sir bobby Documentary on 11:39 - May 16 with 1944 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Sir bobby Documentary on 10:55 - May 16 by benno1uk

It's funny how fans hounding out a manager seems to get whitewashed from history when it doesn't suit them. See also Charlton and (hopefully) Arsenal.

Dont forget Sunderland fans wanted Peter Reid out, 7th in the Prem wasnt good enough.

Sir bobby Documentary on 11:40 - May 16 with 1939 viewsbenno1uk

Sir bobby Documentary on 11:39 - May 16 by Marshalls_Mullet

Dont forget Sunderland fans wanted Peter Reid out, 7th in the Prem wasnt good enough.

I bet if you ask them they'll say 'it was a tiny minority' who wanted him out. Standard whitewashing tactics.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024