Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I remember the anticipation ahead of us buying Paul Mariner 17:02 - Aug 7 with 937 viewsxrayspecs

Pre-internet and social media days, no instagram posts or tweets to offer us clues, no sightings at local hospitals, the training ground or local hotels. Fans were reliant on the morning papers for updates and the hourly sports round up after the news on either the BBC or local radio.

Mariner at the time was the highly rated forward at Plymouth and IIRC, there were three clubs chasing his signature. For a number of days, I remember running home from school to see if there was any news and then until news came through setting my alarm clock to make sure I could listen to the hourly sports bulletins on radio 2.

TWTD.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 17:05]
I remember the anticipation ahead of us buying Paul Mariner on 17:07 - Aug 7 with 904 viewsbahri

I remember the anticipation and would he sign for us? The other clubs were they Wolves and West Brom? I seem to remember West Ham were keen as well.

redandella

I remember the anticipation ahead of us buying Paul Mariner on 17:07 - Aug 7 with 902 viewsJimmyJazz

Him and Billy Rafferty at Plymouth, that was some partnership

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

I remember the anticipation ahead of us buying Paul Mariner on 17:07 - Aug 7 with 897 viewsPJH

I thought about the Paul Mariner signing earlier when somebody posted about there being anything similar in our past.
I think it was West Ham and WBA also in for him.
John Peddelty and Terry Austin went to Plymouth in part exchange so I don't know what would have happened if one or both of them were reluctant.

I did not run home from school for news because I was 25 at the time.
I remember the anticipation ahead of us buying Paul Mariner on 17:14 - Aug 7 with 860 viewsJimmyJazz

I remember the anticipation ahead of us buying Paul Mariner on 17:07 - Aug 7 by JimmyJazz

Him and Billy Rafferty at Plymouth, that was some partnership

Just found this

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/green-barmy-how-paul-mariner-828

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

I remember the anticipation ahead of us buying Paul Mariner on 17:21 - Aug 7 with 828 viewswkj

I genuinely miss the days of being a teenager when I had to work at Sainsburys on Saturdays, knowing the green'un was on its way. THere were about 10 or 15 of us who would circle the newspaper cages on our dinner break waiting for the grumpy woman behind the fag kiosk to unfurl them.
[Post edited 7 Aug 2018 17:23]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024