Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Runners 15:55 - Aug 13 with 4418 viewshype313

I decided about a month ago to get my lard ass of the couch and start running, so far I'm halfway through the couch25k and it's going well, however I'm wearing a standard pair of old knackered trainers, should I seriously invest some proper running shoes ? (they seem very expensive!)

Its early days but I want to get up to 10k by next March (my 40th) and I want to give myself the best possible chance, by not ruining myself.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Runners on 17:35 - Aug 13 with 784 viewsbelgablue

Runners on 17:20 - Aug 13 by hype313

Cheers, this has been far more insightful than I first thought, given me plenty of good advice which I need, once I hit the promised land of 10k I'll let you know!

Get down to Coes and see what they say - go with whatever feels right, may take a few runs to wear them in.
Also make sure there is a little bit of space in them as feet expand a bit when you run and if they’re too tight they’ll play havoc with your toenails.

Enjoy.

Poll: Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer?

Runners on 17:38 - Aug 13 with 784 viewsBeds_blue

Cheers, this has been far more insightful than I first thought, given me plenty of good advice which I need, once I hit the promised land of 10k I'll let you know!

You'll get there no problem. Remember to enjoy it. If you get any pain that changes your gait, stop. You won't run though an injury like that and it'll take far longer to heal. You will hurt but it should be after the run when you're building muscle or during while your burning you're lungs! Steady increases in distance just as c25k does is the way, no big jumps even if you feel you can do it. You've got some goals so keep at it and you'll soon crack that 10k and then you'll be thinking half marathons and that's just the top of a very slippery slope into running stupidity!
Runners on 07:16 - Aug 14 with 713 viewsTractorWood

As others have said, gait analysis, custom insoles and cushioned shoes are the best way to start. If you hit a good running shop, they should do all of this pretty quickly.

In April last year I was struggling to get around a 5k after months of over indulging. In the next few weeks/months, I have the great North run, swim serpentine and then the Frankfurt marathon. Just take it one step at a time, take rest when you are ruined and never let your mind think you can't do something.

I enjoy preparing for stuff almost as much as the actual race, that makes the whole thing far easier.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2018 7:18]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Runners on 08:12 - Aug 14 with 686 viewspennyfathersleg

I’m sure someone has already said this, but it’s definitely worth spending money on a decent pair of running shoes! You’re more likely to suffer injuries by getting a pair that don’t fit properly or have the correct support.

If you live near a sweatshop, take a trip there! They can put you on a treadmill with a camera and look at your running style to see if, and what, type of support you need so you can buy the right ones (I overpronate so need lots of support!). They will then recommend some shoes for you - you can always say you’ll have a think and check online to see if you can find them cheaper!

Running shoes last about 500 miles! I love getting new running shoes, extra motivation!

Enjoy your running!
Runners on 08:20 - Aug 14 with 685 viewsTractorWood

Runners on 08:12 - Aug 14 by pennyfathersleg

I’m sure someone has already said this, but it’s definitely worth spending money on a decent pair of running shoes! You’re more likely to suffer injuries by getting a pair that don’t fit properly or have the correct support.

If you live near a sweatshop, take a trip there! They can put you on a treadmill with a camera and look at your running style to see if, and what, type of support you need so you can buy the right ones (I overpronate so need lots of support!). They will then recommend some shoes for you - you can always say you’ll have a think and check online to see if you can find them cheaper!

Running shoes last about 500 miles! I love getting new running shoes, extra motivation!

Enjoy your running!

I change every 350 miles, which is when I generally start to see serious wear and tear on the sole.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Runners on 13:51 - Aug 14 with 638 viewspennyfathersleg

Runners on 08:20 - Aug 14 by TractorWood

I change every 350 miles, which is when I generally start to see serious wear and tear on the sole.

Yeah, I guess people have different styles of running. You can usually tell when they need changing, but I normally set my garmin monitor for 500 miles. I have changed them sooner though - normally my achilles start to feel it so I know to upgrade!

Struggling a bit at the moment - not sure the weather has helped! I'm due to run Ipswich half again in September, but may struggle to be ready!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024