Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This squad upheaval question 10:46 - Aug 29 with 3818 viewsDyland

Not sure how else it could have played out. We needed to sell players when they had value to rebuild the squad. I think it's pretty obvious Hurst was generally going to build his squad with players he knew about. All managers are the same, and they cut their cloth according to budgets.

The timing always had the potential to result in this start. I understand it's important to get a win and see more chances created (and cut out the defensive lapses), but this is what the majority of fans and the club wanted, so we need buy-in for a season at least, whatever that entails. Anything else is cutting off your nose to spite your face. This does not mean Hurst is immune from questioning, of course, but I think he needs (not deserves) the benefit of the doubt.

Importantly, we also need vociferous and unconditional support for the team on Sunday, even if we go behind, and even if that's by more than one goal. Unless it's in the final minute of course in which case I'm going to cry :)

COYFB

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

This squad upheaval question on 15:23 - Aug 29 with 616 viewsSamWhiteUK

This squad upheaval question on 11:09 - Aug 29 by LeagueOne

Agreed about Garner. I think if anything if we had kept some of Mick's established players in Webster, Didz, Waghorn and Garner and brought in the new faces the balance would have been much better. We clearly need the options.

I also hate to say it that so far I think we have some quality players in our U23's who should feel hard done by that some of these new faces are starting ahead of them, because without judging too early a few of them haven't looked up to standard yet, including a couple of established players with Bart being pretty horrific at times. In fact our U23's have been playing well this season and i'd rather see some of those lads get a chance then loaning it players from other sides we'll get nothing out of long term.

The only comparison I can think of is when Keane came in and I am just hoping it settles a lot quicker as our support is less patient these days and being bottom, even though meaningless at the moment, in a months time there will be a lot of upset if nothing has changed.

Couldn't have got these players in if we'd kept Waghorn and Webster, though. We'd have been working with peanuts
This squad upheaval question on 15:24 - Aug 29 with 615 viewsFrimleyBlue

This squad upheaval question on 15:23 - Aug 29 by SamWhiteUK

Couldn't have got these players in if we'd kept Waghorn and Webster, though. We'd have been working with peanuts

Really though?

How much have we had to spend to get players with 0 Championship experience......

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

This squad upheaval question on 15:30 - Aug 29 with 599 viewsLeagueOne

This squad upheaval question on 15:23 - Aug 29 by SamWhiteUK

I think thats part of the problem here. Cost neutral football is an impossibility these days, you have to spend something to make some progress.

The Championship has now become too expensive for Evans ambitions here and Hurst is only able to work within what he's been given money wise, which is probably one of the smallest budgets in the league. Even the promoted sides have spent more this time I think.

We agree with the ethos but in practice we are yet to see any results and this is especially true of the last 3 years. It also doesn't help that we have to keep selling our best players.

It's time to make the best of it.
Poll: Would you leave TWTD if political threads were banned?

This squad upheaval question on 09:52 - Aug 30 with 573 viewsStadiumofdark

This squad upheaval question on 11:42 - Aug 29 by PhilTWTD

He wanted to go back to the North-West but going into the final day Town were going to keep hold of him unless they received an over the top offer, which they did.

I think Waggy would have stayed as well had Town offered him the sort of terms on offer at Derby and Boro but I think PH saw his exit as providing the funds to rebuild more widely.

Garner had accepted that he wasn't going anywhere.... even though his desire was to go back up North.

In the end, he ended up sitting outside Wigan drinking coffee for 5 hours whilst ME/PH decided what to do.
This squad upheaval question on 10:04 - Aug 30 with 563 viewsFrimleyBlue

This squad upheaval question on 11:42 - Aug 29 by PhilTWTD

He wanted to go back to the North-West but going into the final day Town were going to keep hold of him unless they received an over the top offer, which they did.

I think Waggy would have stayed as well had Town offered him the sort of terms on offer at Derby and Boro but I think PH saw his exit as providing the funds to rebuild more widely.

Neither player made it seem like they were desperate to get out of the club and Waghorns special bond with the fans created in a short space of time for me told me had we kept him, he certainly wouldn't have been the type to throw toys out of the pram

We mention Derby terms, I wonder how much we are now having to fund to bring in Walters,

We mention Evans and his input into the club, But how has he seen it beneficial to allow the sales of these players to bring in the types of the players we have......

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024