Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The tale of the three envelopes 10:04 - Oct 24 with 828 viewsNorrisHatter

The company had appointed a new senior manager. He arrived at the company for his first day brash and full of confidence. When he went to his office he was surprised to find the previous manager there. The latter apologised and explained that he was just finishing off clearing his desk and would soon be gone.

“But while I’m here”, he said “I’d just like to say, I have nothing against you personally. I’m sorry to be going, but as is often the case in companies, top management just decided my time had come. I also upset a few customers as well, which in hindsight wasn’t too clever of me. Anyway, that’s all behind me now”.

He paused and was clearly a little emotional. But he gathered himself and continued. “Anyway, as I said, nothing against you personally, and I remember when I was a young up and comer, I was full of confidence. And that’s good, but you know, I’ve been round the block a few times and learnt stuff along the way, and this is a much bigger job than you’ve done before, so I’m going to give you some advice now I’m leaving”

He saw the new man grimace and sought to reassure him. “No don’t worry — I’m not going to give you a lecture. But when I knew my end was coming I prepared some advice and put it in these three envelopes. You don’t need to open them now, but if things don’t go so well open the first one and you may find the advice helpful. If that doesn’t work, open the next one and so on”. And with that he shook the new man’s hand and left.

The door closed and the new manager picked up the envelopes and tossed them in a drawer. “Won’t need those”, he muttered to himself, “I know what I’m doing and I’ve had a damn sight more recent success than that guy”.

But things didn’t go as well as he thought and initial results from his team weren’t great. His confidence took a bit of a knock. Reluctantly, ahead of a meeting with his boss, he decided to pull out the first envelope and look at it. “Can’t see it will help much, but I’ve nowt to lose”, he thought.

Inside was a small piece of paper. On it were just three words: “Blame Your Predecessor”. So that’s what he did. In the meeting with his boss, he told him “things were worse than I thought when I arrived. You know, I wanted to get some real energy into the team to improve results for customers. But the guys just aren’t up to it. They’re way slower than I expected. And I haven’t got the right sort of staff. That’s why I have had to recruit so many new people, and it will take time for them to bed in.”

His boss said he understood and would give the new man more time. But still results didn’t improve. In fact they got worse. He was summoned to another meeting. His boss said “I know you explained the reasons when we spoke before, but I’m getting concerned about some of the things I see. For instance I’ve always believed in having two people in the customer sales department, but you’ve only got one and it’s not delivering any positive outcomes for customers. Also when I went into the production office I noticed that you’ve moved the accountant in there and it isn’t really a job I’d expect her to be doing. Meantime, you’ve got the health and safety guy running accounts. He doesn’t know his debits from his credits. It’s like he doesn’t know his left from his right”.

But the manager was ready for him. He had opened the second envelope ahead of the meeting. On the piece of paper inside there had been just one word: “Reorganise”.

“Well you see”, he explained to his boss, “it’s not just having the right people and getting them more efficient and energetic. It’s the whole infrastructure that’s holding me back and preventing my people doing a great job. There are a lot of things I’d change about this place if it’s going to really deliver”

The boss was sceptical but decided to give his new man a little more time. The manager set about reorganising all he could, making further changes which were catastrophic. Good people who were still employed started applying for different jobs and people who used to work for the company started to say in public what a shambles it had become.

The manager’s boss phoned him and summoned him for a third time. In a cold sweat and his pulse racing the manager pulled open the drawer and reached for the third envelope. He’d been dismissive of his predecessor but now thought that actually the old guy knew a thing or two and that the advice in those first two envelopes had bought him valuable time.

So now, in his hour of greatest need, this third envelope would surely be his deliverance, he thought. He tore it open and pulled out the piece of paper inside. On it were three words:

“Prepare three envelopes”

The tale of the three envelopes on 10:06 - Oct 24 with 810 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"in hindsight wasn’t too clever of me". I can't see MM saying that, to be fair.

Otherwise, very good.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

The tale of the three envelopes on 10:20 - Oct 24 with 755 viewsNo9

The tale of the three envelopes on 10:06 - Oct 24 by Nthsuffolkblue

"in hindsight wasn’t too clever of me". I can't see MM saying that, to be fair.

Otherwise, very good.

I don't think MM would have hung around to welcome the new man
The tale of the three envelopes on 10:29 - Oct 24 with 726 viewsPinewoodblue

Time for the third envelope to be opened. Excellent read.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024