Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tactical thoughts from AV game. 09:09 - Jan 27 with 667 viewsChocorange

Some are complaining about Trev, Skuse and Downes starting the game. I think it was an attempt to protect the defence in what on paper was a tough away game. It was also on the back of the last 3 halves of football where the midfield has been spectacularly outplayed and uninspiring and conceding 2 goals ever game giving us a mountain to climb.
Yes we still conceded 2, but one was a ridiculous penalty.
I didn't agree with it , but it did kind of work , worth doing again...in the right game yes, but also needs to be changed earlier if the need arises. More of that next.

Subs.
Even at 2 down, we didn't bring a more attacking mid on Bish for one of the 3 above would have been the obvious to give us more.
Jackson was also far too late ...almost as if PL had forgotten he still had subs to use.

Keeper.
Bart was back ( welcomed by me) struggled to hold onto shots but this may have been due to the conditions...their keeper didn't do any better... But pleasingly was back to his shot stopping best second half .
Can the keeper coach please help with what to do at penalties! The amount we give away ( or refs jumping on the chance to award them ) then we need to do better with, our keepers never get anywhere near any of them.
Do some work on who takes them, where they put the ball, not committing yourself before the pen is struck, watch successful keepers ... But do something!

Judge. Give him a free role in the number 10 slot, he is the only one with any nous , ( win free kicks, unlock defences etc) he will be key if we are to win some games.

Quaner/Keane up top ?
Both look to have something different to offer , which to play ?, the jury is still out...should it depend on which defenders we are playing against for example Quaner was way too fast for Elphick , will one of them make the shirt his own...or can/ should we play both up top?

Way of playing.
We seem to want to play our way ( the PL way of cutting in from the wings no matter what) ... Yesterday was frustrating as Harry's pre game report on Villa had shone a light on the fact that their fans biggest concern was the full backs especially Taylor. In the game we didn't attack them down the flanks much at all, the one time I can remember Taylor made a complete hash and gave us a corner.
Let's make more of other teams weaknesses!

Formation
We have stuck rigidly to 4231 , is it working, should we try something different ?
2 up front to get more goals ?

Right back .
We still need one. For we can't get one in then why isn't Cotter given a chance , did great in his one game last season.

Lastly , playing out from goal kicks .
OMG , how many times has this gone wrong... As mentioned above other teams play on opponents weaknesses, this is ours. Yesterday was awful, time and time again it was messed up. We are not Manchester City and our players are too hesitant and not quick enough to get it to work before all space is closed down . If we are going to persist then we need to have plan B and C available if Chambo and Collins are closed down, I.e Full backs on the wings to kick the ball too and head it on, or pushed up on their back line and a quick accurate long kick , not one where we decide slowly I can't pass it out so I will make it clear I am going to kick it long and give the opposition time to reorganise totally . Speed is of the essence.

Tactical thoughts from AV game. on 09:14 - Jan 27 with 638 viewsthebooks

Man, that trying to play out from the back... How many times do we see Chambers + One other split wide and then have a short convo with the 'keeper and refuse the ball. It just doesn't work: Perhaps have Chalobah drop deep and pick the ball up?

And then the keeper bangs it upfield and we lose possession. Means we end up defending all the time.
Tactical thoughts from AV game. on 09:38 - Jan 27 with 581 viewsbontcho

Tactical thoughts from AV game. on 09:14 - Jan 27 by thebooks

Man, that trying to play out from the back... How many times do we see Chambers + One other split wide and then have a short convo with the 'keeper and refuse the ball. It just doesn't work: Perhaps have Chalobah drop deep and pick the ball up?

And then the keeper bangs it upfield and we lose possession. Means we end up defending all the time.

Is part of this problem that neither Bart nor Gerken are, to use the modern phrase, good with the ball at their feet? Our problems so often start with this.

Bulgarian penalty hero
Poll: Which Harrison should we sign?

Tactical thoughts from AV game. on 10:34 - Jan 27 with 519 viewsChocorange

Tactical thoughts from AV game. on 09:38 - Jan 27 by bontcho

Is part of this problem that neither Bart nor Gerken are, to use the modern phrase, good with the ball at their feet? Our problems so often start with this.

Yes, agree they could be better with their feet.

However we are a team of professionial footballers so should be able to find a variety of ways to retain possession from a goal kick.

More players need to make themselves available and give the keeoer options more quickly.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024