Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rhetorical question... 12:19 - Jan 31 with 520 viewsPendejo

How do people get by in this country without being able to speak English?

As I've probably said a few times, and some of you who have met her know, my wife is from Colombia. Her English is "ok" [better than my Spanish I hasten to add & she's gained qualification in child care in English] and often works as an interpreter for her community [& friends].

One of her Bolivian friends, whom we have known for well over a decade sent her a picture of a PCN and asked what it was... it was for an unpaid London C Charge, which had rolled over to £240!!.

Said friend then arranged to come to ours in order to pay ticket via internet... bringing 6 [six] tickets @ £240.00 each [3 x C Charge + 3 x T Charge]. She had been binning them but realized when she started receiving them with red print was probably important. She said she was completely unaware of the C Charge, which has been in place 13 [??] years or so now, let alone the new fangled T Charge.

Part of the reason they can survive without English is because there is a significant Latino diaspora in London, who help each other out when it comes to the need to speak English.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Rhetorical question... on 12:59 - Jan 31 with 465 viewsuefacup81

I think you answer your own question in the last paragraph.

The diasporas are so large that there will always be enough people who understand the language and customs who are able to assist those who don't.

Likewise, the number of businesses catering to the various communities mean that those who don't speak English should find it easy enough to conduct their day-to-day life in their first language.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Rhetorical question... on 13:03 - Jan 31 with 463 viewsBurwell_Blue

Ignorance?

When I travel to my place in Spain I ensure I have full understanding of the local laws/customs/locality, so that I do not run into any of the aforementioned problems. I only speak a small amount of Spanish, relying on my wife, however is integrating yourself into the country in which you reside a crucial and respectful part?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024