Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put 20:43 - Mar 26 with 2021 viewscaught-in-limbo

Good to see someone addressing the societal reason for Brexit rather than turning the whole thing into a Brexiteer v Remainer stereotype fight.

#toxic
Poll: BREXIT - Hard, soft, phantom ...

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 21:06 - Mar 26 with 1969 viewswellhungphil

Blimey that was intense and intriguing!

I even muted the Ireland match to give my undivided listenership to The Pieman!

He makes a very good point (amongst others) about the disenfranchising effect of the first-past-the-post system - got to agree with him there. Weird really that the system here is called first-past-the-post at all. Isn't it more like the carry-your-fat-wife-the-furthest* competition they have in the Viking countries?

*(apologies to big-boned wives everywhere)
Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 21:11 - Mar 26 with 1963 viewscaught-in-limbo

And the reason is the same as in Spain 5 years ago and France over the last couple of years:

austerity

How can the "haves" understand the "have nots" while they continue to take too much from them.
[Post edited 26 Mar 2019 21:13]

#toxic

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 21:52 - Mar 26 with 1908 viewslowhouseblue

how do you put up with 7 minutes of that presentation? the ideas behind it are neither earth shattering or terribly radical, or actually very controversial, so why does he need to shout so much and bounce up and down?. brexit as the disenfranchised responding to austerity is hardly mould breaking - so why does he think he's saying something new?

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 05:38 - Mar 27 with 1806 viewscaught-in-limbo

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 21:52 - Mar 26 by lowhouseblue

how do you put up with 7 minutes of that presentation? the ideas behind it are neither earth shattering or terribly radical, or actually very controversial, so why does he need to shout so much and bounce up and down?. brexit as the disenfranchised responding to austerity is hardly mould breaking - so why does he think he's saying something new?

you're right, his message is not new but it does fly in the face of general opinion spread by the media which goes along the lines that brexit happened because the dangerously high number racist simpletons we have in this country got to express themselves in a democratic vote. identifying that brexit happened because of the austerity that pushed enough people to vote against the government as a general protest reframes the argument as a problem that the people have with an out of touch ruling system rather than it being about a divisive issue among the masses.

the shouting and bouncing up and down part is called parody.

#toxic

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 08:14 - Mar 27 with 1754 viewslowhouseblue

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 05:38 - Mar 27 by caught-in-limbo

you're right, his message is not new but it does fly in the face of general opinion spread by the media which goes along the lines that brexit happened because the dangerously high number racist simpletons we have in this country got to express themselves in a democratic vote. identifying that brexit happened because of the austerity that pushed enough people to vote against the government as a general protest reframes the argument as a problem that the people have with an out of touch ruling system rather than it being about a divisive issue among the masses.

the shouting and bouncing up and down part is called parody.

brexit, like trump, is the political swing of the credit crunch. nothing to do with racists or simpletons.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 09:53 - Mar 27 with 1726 viewscaught-in-limbo

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 08:14 - Mar 27 by lowhouseblue

brexit, like trump, is the political swing of the credit crunch. nothing to do with racists or simpletons.

Yes, I agree, but you wouldn't know that if you just read the Brexit threads posted here each day for the last 3 years. That's how the media (both traditional and social) generally works, it's about deflecting responsibility and blame from those who are really responsible onto the people. Divide and rule is the first lesson in how to rule - it's always been the same.

You should welcome people like Jonathan Pie pointing out the reality. Criticising his work only serves those who rule over us by constantly dividing us.

#toxic

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:00 - Mar 27 with 1719 viewslowhouseblue

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 09:53 - Mar 27 by caught-in-limbo

Yes, I agree, but you wouldn't know that if you just read the Brexit threads posted here each day for the last 3 years. That's how the media (both traditional and social) generally works, it's about deflecting responsibility and blame from those who are really responsible onto the people. Divide and rule is the first lesson in how to rule - it's always been the same.

You should welcome people like Jonathan Pie pointing out the reality. Criticising his work only serves those who rule over us by constantly dividing us.

i'm not sure it's the media. i think it's a human response to want to blame someone when something goes wrong. and the liberal left europhile 'establishment' is lashing out at the 'racist and thick' working classes as having ruined everything. it's all very unpleasant and divisive, and i agree this board does it by the shovel full, but it's not a media led response. it's the response of an 'establishment' which believes it is morally and intellectual right about everything and is deeply offended that some dirty oiks have told them where they can stick it. the liberal left response to trump in the us is just the same.

i don't like he's style. too dumbed down and shouty for me.

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:01 - Mar 27 with 1714 viewsXYZ

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 08:14 - Mar 27 by lowhouseblue

Trump/ Brexit has nothing to do with racists?

I wonder why anyone would want to make that fallacious argument.
Login to get fewer ads

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:09 - Mar 27 with 1705 viewslowhouseblue

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:01 - Mar 27 by XYZ

Trump/ Brexit has nothing to do with racists?

I wonder why anyone would want to make that fallacious argument.

because an analysis which just labels the people you disagree with as racists gets you no where. it is simplistic blinkered nonsense. easy and good for getting social media points but it's really just a way to avoid engaging with people who think differently from you. all tories are selfish and mean, all brexit voters are stupid and racist, trump voters are low iq red necks. it's name calling.

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:11 - Mar 27 with 1699 viewscaught-in-limbo

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:00 - Mar 27 by lowhouseblue

i'm not sure it's the media. i think it's a human response to want to blame someone when something goes wrong. and the liberal left europhile 'establishment' is lashing out at the 'racist and thick' working classes as having ruined everything. it's all very unpleasant and divisive, and i agree this board does it by the shovel full, but it's not a media led response. it's the response of an 'establishment' which believes it is morally and intellectual right about everything and is deeply offended that some dirty oiks have told them where they can stick it. the liberal left response to trump in the us is just the same.

i don't like he's style. too dumbed down and shouty for me.

I agree that it's a human response to want to blame someone when something goes wrong- absolutely. The "have nots" usually have no problem blaming those in power, the "haves".

Unfortunately, if the "haves" fund the media they'll do what they can to deflect that criticism of those in power by feeding society with others to blame instead.

I'm pretty sure you know all this.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2019 10:19]

#toxic

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:27 - Mar 27 with 1677 viewsXYZ

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:09 - Mar 27 by lowhouseblue

because an analysis which just labels the people you disagree with as racists gets you no where. it is simplistic blinkered nonsense. easy and good for getting social media points but it's really just a way to avoid engaging with people who think differently from you. all tories are selfish and mean, all brexit voters are stupid and racist, trump voters are low iq red necks. it's name calling.

I know how to spot a racist, thanks. You don't stop racists by engaging with them - it wasn't Thatcher that accelerated change in South Africa, for example.

What's your explanation for the exponential rise in "hate crimes"?

Brexit and Trump deliberately used racism to maximise the vote from that part of their target audience.

"Are you thinking what we're thinking?" - the tories have pulled out the race card too regularly at GEs for it to be accidental.

"People who think differently from (sic) you" - I think racism is abhorrent; they don't.

You've listened to too many BBC defences to accusations of false equivalence, I suspect.
Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:36 - Mar 27 with 1660 viewslowhouseblue

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:27 - Mar 27 by XYZ

I know how to spot a racist, thanks. You don't stop racists by engaging with them - it wasn't Thatcher that accelerated change in South Africa, for example.

What's your explanation for the exponential rise in "hate crimes"?

Brexit and Trump deliberately used racism to maximise the vote from that part of their target audience.

"Are you thinking what we're thinking?" - the tories have pulled out the race card too regularly at GEs for it to be accidental.

"People who think differently from (sic) you" - I think racism is abhorrent; they don't.

You've listened to too many BBC defences to accusations of false equivalence, I suspect.

if you really think brexit or the rise of trump were driven by racism then you're just refusing to engage with why x many million americans and 17.4 million people in the uk voted as they did. it's politics as simplistic name calling. yes, there are racists in the uk and the us; no, racism was not why people voted for brexit or elected trump.

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:53 - Mar 27 with 1647 viewsXYZ

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:36 - Mar 27 by lowhouseblue

if you really think brexit or the rise of trump were driven by racism then you're just refusing to engage with why x many million americans and 17.4 million people in the uk voted as they did. it's politics as simplistic name calling. yes, there are racists in the uk and the us; no, racism was not why people voted for brexit or elected trump.

You need to get out and learn more.

Read up about how they targeted (illegally) specific groups with different messages.

"Vote Leave" and "Leave.EU" seem to have co-ordinated their campaigns by targeting different demographics. "Leave.EU"'s remit included the racists.

They got a significant bump after putting this out …

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/16/nigel-farage-defends-ukip-break
Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 14:05 - Mar 27 with 1611 viewsNo9

OK, midly comical but nothing new
Nothing to tell us the elite establishment want to get us out of the EU before we learn there maybe a better way to conduct our laws & voting.
Nothing to tell us why any savings that maybe made when we leave the EU will be directed toward the wealthy landowner rather than the poor who have been suckered into this.
Nothing about how we are going to be subservient to America?
Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 14:39 - Mar 27 with 1596 viewslowhouseblue

Jonathan Pie: Brexit - nicely put on 10:53 - Mar 27 by XYZ

You need to get out and learn more.

Read up about how they targeted (illegally) specific groups with different messages.

"Vote Leave" and "Leave.EU" seem to have co-ordinated their campaigns by targeting different demographics. "Leave.EU"'s remit included the racists.

They got a significant bump after putting this out …

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/16/nigel-farage-defends-ukip-break

go on, burst your bubble and speak to people who voted leave. without calling them racist of course. there's probably a facebook page you can do it on for all i know.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024