Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Update from League 1 from Football 365. Here's what we have to look forward to.. 14:36 - Apr 9 with 937 viewsHeathlander

So I thought maybe it might be nice to send an update from League 1 Sunderland, where we’ve been witnessing a real topsy-turvy season after the absolute drudgery and despair of the last four or so. Started like a train in the league, smashing goals in left right and centre, but then faded away with a succession of draws around New Year, coupled with losing top scorer Josh Maja to the French league and (possibly not adequately) replacing him with Will Grigg. A run in the Checkatrade Trophy resulted in us mounting up a huge swathe of games in hand over second-placed Barnsley (Luton having, rather amazingly, simply run away with top spot), but as we all know, points in the bag are better than games in hand, yeah? After the excitement of making it to Wembley (and beating Newcastle and Manchester City along the way — I know it’s their under-23s but I’m claiming them) and then losing on penalties to Portsmouth, we’ve managed to refocus nicely on the league and have levelled up on points with Barnsley, with two games in hand. Hopefully, just hopefully, we can snatch that second automatic promotion spot and not have to go back to Wembley maybe in the play-offs, where we could face Portsmouth again (or even Charlton, anyone remember 1998?)

Just a few observations from the season so far:-

Jack Ross has done a tidy job, putting together possibly the best technical team in the division, only losing two games and failing to score in only one so far. His tactics though are on the side of cautious and this has contributed to our large number of draws. Playing big Charlie Wyke (who looked hopelessly shorn of confidence until recently) up front alongside Grigg has to start being the go-to plan, especially at home, as we often seem to lack a Plan B.

Size really matters in League One, it would seem. We have a squad that’s on the small side (I was amazed to find Lynden Gooch isn’t much bigger than my ten-year old son, when I met the team at a hospital appointment), and some of the opposition at this level are based firmly around their size, strength and power. Teams have caused us lots of problems with physicality and I think a few more “bruisers” in our own squad might have served us better over the season.

Don’t complain about Premier League referees — the standard in League One is much, much worse. I’ve been amazed at a lot of the refereeing quality, lots of basic mistakes and inconsistency far above what we’re used to at higher levels. You don’t realize what you’ve got till it’s gone, I guess.

Sunderland making all their games available via a streaming service was a master-stroke, the engagement level with fans has really grown and we could see that with the demand for Wembley tickets. Obviously Saturday games are still supposedly “protected” but apparently sales of VPN subscriptions in the north-east have skyrocketed. Despite this we still managed to break the League One attendance record so it’s clear that you can pander to the “armchair” fan without too much of a knock-on effect, although I guess you’d need a big fan base to be able to do this.

It’s all very well seeing the best players in action, but football is nothing without excitement. The standard is immaterial. I think I haven’t enjoyed a Sunderland season this much since 1999/2000. Here’s hoping we don’t end up back at Wembley again and can come up to the Championship the easy way!
Update from League 1 from Football 365. Here's what we have to look forward to.. on 14:43 - Apr 9 with 891 viewsIpswichKnight

Some of the football will be agricultural at best, if we can get Collins in and fit that will be a big big bonus.
Update from League 1 from Football 365. Here's what we have to look forward to.. on 14:47 - Apr 9 with 882 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This:

"It’s all very well seeing the best players in action, but football is nothing without excitement. The standard is immaterial. I think I haven’t enjoyed a Sunderland season this much since 1999/2000."

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Update from League 1 from Football 365. Here's what we have to look forward to.. on 14:48 - Apr 9 with 866 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Update from League 1 from Football 365. Here's what we have to look forward to.. on 14:43 - Apr 9 by IpswichKnight

Some of the football will be agricultural at best, if we can get Collins in and fit that will be a big big bonus.

Only on a 'pay as you play' deal ideally.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Update from League 1 from Football 365. Here's what we have to look forward to.. on 15:04 - Apr 9 with 802 viewsIpswichKnight

Update from League 1 from Football 365. Here's what we have to look forward to.. on 14:48 - Apr 9 by Marshalls_Mullet

Only on a 'pay as you play' deal ideally.

yep agreed! Anything else will be madness with his injury record.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024