Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How the Black Hole photo came together - 12:15 - Apr 11 with 1544 viewsRyorry

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/katie-bouman-black-hole_uk_5cae662fe4b030

"In April of 2017, a young MIT graduate student took to the stage at a Ted Talk and outlined a plan to do the seemingly impossible — take a picture of a black hole."

[Post edited 11 Apr 2019 12:17]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How the Black Hole photo came together - on 12:42 - Apr 11 with 1516 viewschicoazul

I don;t know why everyone is getting so excited about this. I could have told them what a Black Hole looks like and it would have been a lot cheaper.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

innit on 12:43 - Apr 11 with 1512 viewsDyland

How the Black Hole photo came together - on 12:42 - Apr 11 by chicoazul

I don;t know why everyone is getting so excited about this. I could have told them what a Black Hole looks like and it would have been a lot cheaper.

Loving how it looks like something from a 1950s science fiction flick.

I'm a massive space geek too, but finding it hard not to laugh at this one.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

innit on 13:06 - Apr 11 with 1493 viewschicoazul

innit on 12:43 - Apr 11 by Dyland

Loving how it looks like something from a 1950s science fiction flick.

I'm a massive space geek too, but finding it hard not to laugh at this one.

Oh look it's my interest in Ipswich Town as long as Evans remains the owner;

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

How the Black Hole photo came together - on 13:56 - Apr 11 with 1469 viewsXYZ

Wonderful stuff. Apparently the tech behind today's wifi derives from 30-year-old pure research into black holes.

Let's hope this gets more women into science careers.
How the Black Hole photo came together - on 17:15 - Apr 11 with 1420 viewsWarhurst

How the Black Hole photo came together - on 12:42 - Apr 11 by chicoazul

We've managed to take a photo of a black hole 55 million light years away with a virtual telescope the size of the earth. I'm unsure how anyone could NOT find this mind blowing. The technique that was used (very long baseline interferometry) is essentially a proof of concept at this point. In 10-20 years with refinement we should see a lot more impressive pictures. The image may be blurry now but it proves Einstein and Hawking's theories, just a shame they aren't around to see this.
How the Black Hole photo came together - on 21:00 - Apr 11 with 1382 viewsRyorry

How the Black Hole photo came together - on 17:15 - Apr 11 by Warhurst

We've managed to take a photo of a black hole 55 million light years away with a virtual telescope the size of the earth. I'm unsure how anyone could NOT find this mind blowing. The technique that was used (very long baseline interferometry) is essentially a proof of concept at this point. In 10-20 years with refinement we should see a lot more impressive pictures. The image may be blurry now but it proves Einstein and Hawking's theories, just a shame they aren't around to see this.

8 massive telescopes around the world from the South Pole to Spain combining into a timeframe of about a millionth of a second - the clocks and telescopes themselves are a bit of a miracle, never mind the concept, conditions (-70 for the 'scope in Antarctica), computing wizardry, supporting engineering, international co-operation, communications, luck with the weather, etc etc etc.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How the Black Hole photo came together - on 08:00 - Apr 12 with 1335 viewschicoazul

How the Black Hole photo came together - on 17:15 - Apr 11 by Warhurst

Oooohhhhh we took a big picture of a big hole in space, how amazing. Jesus turned water into wine 2000 years ago boyo.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024