Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Goop Lab on Netflix 11:53 - Jan 17 with 2697 viewsStokieBlue

Shame on them for allowing this bastion of pseudoscience to access a huge audience:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2230459-the-goop-lab-on-netflix-shows-how-e

The writer pretty much nails why it's an awful idea:

"These kinds of alternative therapies might seem harmless, but when people rely on them to treat serious illnesses it can be deadly. People with cancer who use complementary therapies tend to reject conventional treatment and so can be less likely to survive their disease than those who don’t. The show states at the beginning of each episode that people shouldn’t take it as medical advice, but the impact of a 10-second disclaimer seems tiny compared with half an hour of beautiful Californians saying how awesome they feel."

"Like a car-crash unfolding in front of me, once I started watching The Goop Lab I couldn’t look away. In fact, it is so bad it is good — a masterclass in how to defend pseudoscience with a few logical fallacies, non-sequiturs and bit of cherry picking.

I am aware this is pseudo-promoting it to people on here but lets face it, come the 24th it'll be the first thing everyone sees when they turn on Netflix and the auto-trailer begins and by then it'll be too late.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The Goop Lab on Netflix on 10:17 - Jan 21 with 388 viewsStokieBlue

The Goop Lab on Netflix on 09:55 - Jan 21 by BrixtonBlue

You say "numerous posters have said this" - numerous posters have also said homeopathy works for them. It even works for Ryorry's dog!

Repeating "there is nothing in it except for water" doesn't help anyone. We know what the official line is. The belief is that there is a tiny amount of the beneficial substances in it - which is why I considered perhaps it's something working at a quantum level (and the fact that quantum level stuff is so bizarre and doesn't work the same way as 'regular' science).

I know homeopathy catarrh tablets work for me and I don't believe it's placebo (because I've tried everything - why would something prescribed by a doctor not work via placebo? Why these particular tablets?!)

Then again, assuming it IS just placebo, why does placebo work? Is placebo something that works at a quantum level? Could willing improvement cause improvement to happen at a very tiny level? Could this link to studies that show prayer to work - it's the will of the people praying, rather than any divine intervention, and it causes changes at a molecular level?

As I've said, many theories were ridiculed by the majority of the scientific community originally. I've just read a book full of them. So it seems awfully short-sighted and failing to learn from history to just flatly say "no, it doesn't work" when there's lost of anecdotal evidence it does.

I bet if we'd discussed teleportation on here a few years ago you and Bully would've dismissed it as science fiction. It now exists, because some people kept an open mind on the idea.

Sigh.

Repeating "there is nothing in it except for water" doesn't help anyone. We know what the official line is. The belief is that there is a tiny amount of the beneficial substances in it - which is why I considered perhaps it's something working at a quantum level (and the fact that quantum level stuff is so bizarre and doesn't work the same way as 'regular' science).

There is no evidence to support this position. As someone has pointed out, just saying it could be quantum is total nonsense frankly - you could just as easily say it's magic or god. There is also no tiny amount of beneficial substances in it - this has been scientifically proven - please stop saying it.

You also can't link everything to quantum processes because you don't understand them. Quite a lot is understood about the quantum world and it doesn't fit into what you are ascribing to it.

I checked that book - a few things turned out to be true but aren't the majority of silly ideas in there later proven to be falsehoods? To hold it up as evidence that anything can be true isn't helpful to the debate.

It's not teleportation as you think of it - I covered it already in my previous post. It's destroying something and then creating a new but identical one in another location.

I know you believe in homeopathy and you feel it works for you, that's fine and I am glad it helps but it's not a defensible position from a scientific perspective. Who knows why it activates placebo for you but saying others things didn't doesn't mean that this thing doesn't - especially given your strong and likely re-enforcing belief it in.

SB

Sorry Jerseys, this is just wrong on 10:35 - Jan 21 with 377 viewsBrixtonBlue

Sorry Jerseys, this is just wrong on 10:13 - Jan 21 by Dyland

"There might be something in homeopathy but we can't investigate it - so while it works for lots of people in reality, it doesn't work under test conditions in a lab."

Homeopathy doesn't work (any better than placebo) in double blind clinical trials on real people. There has been a lot of research into this, not just "under test conditions in a lab".

An absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. True. However, homeopathy has been researched to the hilt and the evidence is quite clear. It works no better than a sugar pill, i.e. it works (where it does for some people) through placebo.

The placebo effect is beyond interesting to me, and plenty of people across a wide spectrum are studying it. It seems also there's no need to explain its effect with pseudoscience, like homeopathy, amazingly it works (with certain conditions) even when the patient is told it's a placebo. How the doctor/healer/etc. treats the patient is possibly important, but there's possibly something else at work yet to be discovered.

This last bit is what I'm getting at (in my clumsy way!)

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

The Goop Lab on Netflix on 08:58 - Jan 24 with 306 viewsStokieBlue

Scathing from the Guardian but people will still watch it and it will still be good for Goop overall:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jan/24/the-goop-lab-review-gwyneth

SB

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024