Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
They really need to get a grip on testing 11:20 - Mar 19 with 2906 viewsHarry_Palmer

This case from Lowestoft is a little worrying with regards to lack of testing.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/news/highly-suspected-coronavirus-kelly-eade-lowestoft-su

"The mum-of-three said paramedics recorded her as having COVID-19 in her medical notes. Although she says she was not officially tested, paramedics ruled out other illnesses including flu, a cold and a throat infection."

Is it not a little concerning that this case was seemingly recorded as Covid-19 without any test having taken place? Surely if somebody is ill enough to require paramedics and their symptoms match they should be a priority for testing to get it confirmed as fact, not a best guess?

From what I can see Covid-19 symptoms are not notably different to other seasonal respiratory illnesses that in previous years would have just been put down to 'a virus' (unknown ) by your GP. I have experienced this myself and I'm sure many others have, so how can they be certain this is Covid-19 and not a different virus?

It seems to me at the moment that in reality they have absolutely no idea what the actual scale of the breakout is in the UK, so how can huge decisions like shutting down the economy be made on guesswork and statistical modelling?

They really need to get a grip on testing on 13:14 - Mar 19 with 515 viewsGuthrum

They really need to get a grip on testing on 13:05 - Mar 19 by Harry_Palmer

Its quite obviously not a scientific diagnosis, but I'm pretty sure you don't need me to explain that. As I said to Bloomers most 'virus' diagnosis does not lead to the measures we are currently seeing unfold before us so I would hope that a more conclusive approach to getting accurate figures might be forthcoming.

In any case, I will stand down as I can see I'm not going to convince you of my point and thankfully I still have work to be getting on with.....for now at least!

Yes, I'd better go and do some of my own, while I still can.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

They really need to get a grip on testing on 13:16 - Mar 19 with 509 viewsHarry_Palmer

They really need to get a grip on testing on 13:01 - Mar 19 by eireblue

"There is certainly an awful lot of fear being generated on the back of somewhat dubious evidence. "

There have been people tested. In the UK and other countries.

Government statistics state the numbers are for tested cases.

Why are you assuming the stats are based on un-tested but suspected cases?

I fear you are trying to pick an argument for the sake of it and we are rather going round in circles here. I am assuming this ladies case was included because it was recorded as as covid-19 on the medical notes, I have already said I don't know if it was for sure.

My point is that if it was included then this is clearly wrong, and if it wasn't then why not get her tested to get a definite result.

You didn't answer my question, do you accept that her diagnosis was unscientific?
They really need to get a grip on testing on 13:18 - Mar 19 with 506 viewseireblue

They really need to get a grip on testing on 13:16 - Mar 19 by Harry_Palmer

I fear you are trying to pick an argument for the sake of it and we are rather going round in circles here. I am assuming this ladies case was included because it was recorded as as covid-19 on the medical notes, I have already said I don't know if it was for sure.

My point is that if it was included then this is clearly wrong, and if it wasn't then why not get her tested to get a definite result.

You didn't answer my question, do you accept that her diagnosis was unscientific?

It seems then, that you want to make a point, from a position of ignorance.

I don’t think that is particularly helpful.
They really need to get a grip on testing on 13:26 - Mar 19 with 495 viewsHarry_Palmer

They really need to get a grip on testing on 13:18 - Mar 19 by eireblue

It seems then, that you want to make a point, from a position of ignorance.

I don’t think that is particularly helpful.

Brilliant, still won't answer the question but cherry pick any part of my posts you think you can best discredit, while ignoring everything else. I'm very sorry for highlighting an obvious need for better testing to get better facts on the overall situation.

As I said you are looking for an argument which you have form for so i'll bid you good day.
They really need to get a grip on testing on 13:49 - Mar 19 with 483 viewseireblue

They really need to get a grip on testing on 13:26 - Mar 19 by Harry_Palmer

Brilliant, still won't answer the question but cherry pick any part of my posts you think you can best discredit, while ignoring everything else. I'm very sorry for highlighting an obvious need for better testing to get better facts on the overall situation.

As I said you are looking for an argument which you have form for so i'll bid you good day.

“It seems to me at the moment that in reality they have absolutely no idea what the actual scale of the breakout is in the UK, so how can huge decisions like shutting down the economy be made on guesswork and statistical modelling? ”

What did I cherry pick?

I am not looking for an argument. I am expressing an opinion.

Making statements from a position of ignorance, is never very helpful.

You could choose to inform yourself on facts before expressing your opinions.

Yes, I have form for pointing out in the past that your use and citation of statistics has been flawed.

I think you are the only person that has ever mentioned my “form”.

Everybody in a position of responsibility has been highlighting the need for greater testing. It is acknowledged that there are not enough testing kits and tests being done.

You didn’t highlight that problem.

You took one line from a news article, and used that, with a degree of assumption/ignorance to try and make a point.

Which is not really helpful, in my opinion.
They really need to get a grip on testing (n/t) on 14:43 - Mar 19 with 465 viewsHarry_Palmer

They really need to get a grip on testing on 13:49 - Mar 19 by eireblue

“It seems to me at the moment that in reality they have absolutely no idea what the actual scale of the breakout is in the UK, so how can huge decisions like shutting down the economy be made on guesswork and statistical modelling? ”

What did I cherry pick?

I am not looking for an argument. I am expressing an opinion.

Making statements from a position of ignorance, is never very helpful.

You could choose to inform yourself on facts before expressing your opinions.

Yes, I have form for pointing out in the past that your use and citation of statistics has been flawed.

I think you are the only person that has ever mentioned my “form”.

Everybody in a position of responsibility has been highlighting the need for greater testing. It is acknowledged that there are not enough testing kits and tests being done.

You didn’t highlight that problem.

You took one line from a news article, and used that, with a degree of assumption/ignorance to try and make a point.

Which is not really helpful, in my opinion.

“Everybody in a position of responsibility has been highlighting the need for greater testing. It is acknowledged that there are not enough testing kits and tests being done.
You didn’t highlight that problem”

Perhaps you should read the first line of the OP again.

“You could choose to inform yourself on facts before expressing your opinions”

Fact — The lady in question was not tested for Covid-19
Fact — The lady in question was diagnosed with Covid-19 without any scientific evidence to support this.
Fact — Statistic modelling ( ie guesswork ) has been used by the advisors to the UK Government to estimate the number of potential cases
Fact — Decisions have been made off the back of this.
Fact — I have stated opinions based on facts, you are wrong to suggest I haven’t so should apologise.
Fact — Hundreds of posts are made on this board every week where opinions are expressed without any facts but you choose pick out this one.
Opinion — this is because we have had previous disagreements and shows a lack of maturity on your behalf.
Fact — You have decided to label me ignorant without any real basis, again you should apologise.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 15:26]
They really need to get a grip on testing (n/t) on 16:11 - Mar 19 with 439 viewseireblue

They really need to get a grip on testing (n/t) on 14:43 - Mar 19 by Harry_Palmer

“Everybody in a position of responsibility has been highlighting the need for greater testing. It is acknowledged that there are not enough testing kits and tests being done.
You didn’t highlight that problem”

Perhaps you should read the first line of the OP again.

“You could choose to inform yourself on facts before expressing your opinions”

Fact — The lady in question was not tested for Covid-19
Fact — The lady in question was diagnosed with Covid-19 without any scientific evidence to support this.
Fact — Statistic modelling ( ie guesswork ) has been used by the advisors to the UK Government to estimate the number of potential cases
Fact — Decisions have been made off the back of this.
Fact — I have stated opinions based on facts, you are wrong to suggest I haven’t so should apologise.
Fact — Hundreds of posts are made on this board every week where opinions are expressed without any facts but you choose pick out this one.
Opinion — this is because we have had previous disagreements and shows a lack of maturity on your behalf.
Fact — You have decided to label me ignorant without any real basis, again you should apologise.
[Post edited 19 Mar 2020 15:26]

Definition of Ignorance:

The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.
The state of being ignorant; want of knowledge in general, or concerning some particular matter; the condition of not being cognizant, informed, or aware.
The condition of being ignorant; the lack of knowledge in general, or in relation to a particular subject; the state of being uneducated or uninformed.

“I am assuming......I have already said I don't know if it was for sure. ”
“It seems to me ...”
“Now we don't know for sure if this was included in the stats for recorded cases but...”

I have nothing to apologise for.
They really need to get a grip on testing (n/t) on 16:21 - Mar 19 with 433 viewsHarry_Palmer

They really need to get a grip on testing (n/t) on 16:11 - Mar 19 by eireblue

Definition of Ignorance:

The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.
The state of being ignorant; want of knowledge in general, or concerning some particular matter; the condition of not being cognizant, informed, or aware.
The condition of being ignorant; the lack of knowledge in general, or in relation to a particular subject; the state of being uneducated or uninformed.

“I am assuming......I have already said I don't know if it was for sure. ”
“It seems to me ...”
“Now we don't know for sure if this was included in the stats for recorded cases but...”

I have nothing to apologise for.

Again you cherry pick the parts that are opinion to suit your ( weird ) argument while ignoring the facts.

Definition of disingenuous :

not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

In these somewhat worrying times I am not going to waste a second more of my time on the likes of yourself. You are now the solitary member of my ignore list so don't bother trying to engage with me any more. Farewell.
Login to get fewer ads

They really need to get a grip on testing (n/t) on 16:35 - Mar 19 with 421 viewseireblue

They really need to get a grip on testing (n/t) on 16:21 - Mar 19 by Harry_Palmer

Again you cherry pick the parts that are opinion to suit your ( weird ) argument while ignoring the facts.

Definition of disingenuous :

not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

In these somewhat worrying times I am not going to waste a second more of my time on the likes of yourself. You are now the solitary member of my ignore list so don't bother trying to engage with me any more. Farewell.

This is a public forum, and you are posting about conclusions based on ignorance and one news article.

I think I have been very candid, nothing disingenuous in saying I don’t think it is particularly helpful to post about a serious topic from a position of ignorance.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024