Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Some people are idiots (part however many) 08:54 - May 7 with 1259 viewsGuthrum

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/06/its-irresponsible-washington-state

Would they do the same thing if it was Bubonic Plague going around?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Some people are idiots (part however many) on 10:34 - May 7 with 226 viewsgordon

Some people are idiots (part however many) on 09:04 - May 7 by sparks

It would have been and remains utterly stupid- when we do not have clear research on levels of immunity, or the prospects of passing it on to others. Especially at a time when there was real danger of overwhelming health services, and a percentage of any partaking were inevitably going to end up in hospital....

To be fair, there were members of SAGE in the media stating that this is basically how they would manage the disease if they could.
Some people are idiots (part however many) on 10:35 - May 7 with 226 viewsMoriarty

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.timesnownews.com/amp/the-buzz/article/covidiot-

fka omuircheartaigh

Some people are idiots (part however many) on 10:35 - May 7 with 221 viewsHerbivore

Some people are idiots (part however many) on 10:28 - May 7 by NotSure

I don't know, what about them? I guess we treat them in hospital.
Life is a risk, I might get Cancer tomorrow, I might get MND or killed on my bike. We can't shut down our lives and our futures for this.

I wish we could shut you down. Really tedious.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Some people are idiots (part however many) on 10:43 - May 7 with 213 viewsGuthrum

Some people are idiots (part however many) on 10:28 - May 7 by NotSure

I don't know, what about them? I guess we treat them in hospital.
Life is a risk, I might get Cancer tomorrow, I might get MND or killed on my bike. We can't shut down our lives and our futures for this.

Many cancers are treatable, Covid is not. MND is very rare (2 in 100k). Unless you cycle in central London, so is getting killed on your bike (99 in the whole country in 2018).

We currently have a very infectious disease, with no treatment, which has severe effects (some of them long term) and a high mortality rate. This is not a normal situation.

People shut down their normal lives for six years during the War. Many of them conscripted into the armed forces or essential industry. Separated from their families. The economy entirely diverted to one cause, at enormous cost to the government. The future parlayed for survival in the present. We've only had six weeks.

Some people are idiots (part however many) on 10:45 - May 7 with 210 viewsGuthrum

Some people are idiots (part however many) on 09:48 - May 7 by NotSure

No, nobody can guarantee anything. Even during this lockdown young and old have been mixing in supermarkets.

You take personal responsibility, it shouldn't always be about the government telling you what to do.

So take responsibility, stay at home and away from other people as much as possible!

Some people are idiots (part however many) on 10:56 - May 7 with 209 viewsNotSure

Some people are idiots (part however many) on 10:43 - May 7 by Guthrum

Many cancers are treatable, Covid is not. MND is very rare (2 in 100k). Unless you cycle in central London, so is getting killed on your bike (99 in the whole country in 2018).

We currently have a very infectious disease, with no treatment, which has severe effects (some of them long term) and a high mortality rate. This is not a normal situation.

People shut down their normal lives for six years during the War. Many of them conscripted into the armed forces or essential industry. Separated from their families. The economy entirely diverted to one cause, at enormous cost to the government. The future parlayed for survival in the present. We've only had six weeks.

I'm not suggesting we go back to normality.
Pubs, Restaurants, Cinemas, Theatres, Sporting Events, Shopping and Travel. All these industries need to adjust.

This is not war, that's a strange analogy. There was full employment during the war for a start and it killed far more under 40's!
Some people are idiots (part however many) on 11:07 - May 7 with 204 viewsGuthrum

Some people are idiots (part however many) on 10:56 - May 7 by NotSure

I'm not suggesting we go back to normality.
Pubs, Restaurants, Cinemas, Theatres, Sporting Events, Shopping and Travel. All these industries need to adjust.

This is not war, that's a strange analogy. There was full employment during the war for a start and it killed far more under 40's!

But far fewer over 60s.

Much of that employment was paid for directly by the government - including the armed forces. Much like now with the furlough scheme, help for the self-employed (pending) and others, plus an easing of the Universal Credit rules. The biggest difference is a large number of people are being asked to sit at home, not in a muddy field with a rifle.

In many of those sectors, social distancing is effectively impossible, or would destroy their profitability (they rely on packing customers in, with lots of staff to serve them). How are they to reopen and remain viable?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024