Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Protecting the environment - how private ownership can help 12:38 - May 20 with 500 viewsgiant_stow

Maybe a bit niche, but might be interesting for some - certainly contradicts some of my assumptions: https://catholicsocialthought.org.uk/the-church-property-rights-and-the-environm

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Protecting the environment - how private ownership can help on 12:42 - May 20 with 492 viewssparks

I am going to suggest that any argument which is put through the lens of an entirely unsubstantiated belief system, ought to be considered with the utmost scepticism...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Protecting the environment - how private ownership can help on 12:42 - May 20 with 487 viewsgiant_stow

Protecting the environment - how private ownership can help on 12:42 - May 20 by sparks

I am going to suggest that any argument which is put through the lens of an entirely unsubstantiated belief system, ought to be considered with the utmost scepticism...

Fair enough mr - safe to say you're not that site's target audience! Underneath the religion though, there's a secular point too.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Protecting the environment - how private ownership can help on 12:54 - May 20 with 461 viewssparks

Protecting the environment - how private ownership can help on 12:42 - May 20 by giant_stow

Fair enough mr - safe to say you're not that site's target audience! Underneath the religion though, there's a secular point too.

If it is a good one, it will be better put and easier to parse, if it is put without religous baggage.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Protecting the environment - how private ownership can help on 13:09 - May 20 with 435 viewsgiant_stow

Protecting the environment - how private ownership can help on 12:54 - May 20 by sparks

If it is a good one, it will be better put and easier to parse, if it is put without religous baggage.

again fair enough - I just that the Haiti / Dominican Republic comparison was interesting.

Protecting the environment - how private ownership can help on 13:27 - May 23 with 334 viewsWeWereZombies

Sorry, but I find that blog extremely flawed. Whilst it does mention 'The Tragedy Of The Commons', I feel it misrepresents the arguments and ignores the damage that the Enclosures Act of 1773 and subsequent acts did to the English countryside (see the poetry of John Clare for a cultural account of this and note his proximity to the heartlands of East Anglia) both in terms of restrictions on the ability of rural dwellers to maintain themselves and the nudge into the poverty as the Industrial Revolution hoovered up the displaced. The gradual effect of this is often overlooked in comparison to the extreme hardships of the Highland Clearances but it was comparable in terms of human misery.

Another glaring omission is the doctrine from John Locke that you should take from nature only what you need and leave something for others as you go. Laudable in itself it was twisted in the settlement of the Americas (often with the inadvertent aid of those displaced by the Clearances and Enclosures) to perpetrate the genocide of native Americans. Later the suppression of Native American culture was actively engaged in by the Catholic church in particular, it only ceased fifty years ago and it must be said that Canada seems to be doing much more to restore and preserve the legacy of the First Nations than its smaller neighbour to the south.

Finally, the blog only looks at things from human terms and does not attempt to consider other species. Maybe you should consider the similarities between Catholicism and Maoism mulled over by Rob Newman in this excellent recent radio series:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0009zcb

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024