Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
14th July, 2017 19:24 - Jun 17 with 1145 viewssolemio

On the above date I asked a quiz question, but never gave the answer.
I know that scores of you have been waiting with baited breath to know.
Which English cathedral is the highest above sea level?
ANSWER: St Albans.

Okay, Stand Easy.
14th July, 2017 on 19:25 - Jun 17 with 1132 viewsjeera

Bated.

But thanks for finally settling that.

I now remember what that niggling thing has been all this time.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

14th July, 2017 on 21:33 - Jun 17 with 1002 viewsClareBlue

14th July, 2017 on 19:25 - Jun 17 by jeera

Bated.

But thanks for finally settling that.

I now remember what that niggling thing has been all this time.

Well it was not worth the wait as it depends on how you define 'above sea level'. The cathedral with part of its construction that is the highest above sea level is Salisbury with its spire 123m and add its location at a minimum 50m, making 173m. St Albans spire is 44m plus around 98m above sea level for the site, making 142m in total. Not even close, but good effort.
14th July, 2017 on 21:37 - Jun 17 with 995 viewsjeera

14th July, 2017 on 21:33 - Jun 17 by ClareBlue

Well it was not worth the wait as it depends on how you define 'above sea level'. The cathedral with part of its construction that is the highest above sea level is Salisbury with its spire 123m and add its location at a minimum 50m, making 173m. St Albans spire is 44m plus around 98m above sea level for the site, making 142m in total. Not even close, but good effort.

I was being nice.

He's an older chap and it doesn't matter if his information was a bit incorrect. It might mean something to him personally, like having helped build it or something, I don't know.

Not everything has to be picked apart.

Although he does tend to pick on my Xmas dinner threads most years so...

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

14th July, 2017 on 22:45 - Jun 17 with 915 viewsFixed_It

So it's taken you just under three years to go out and measure them? That's dedication right there.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

14th July, 2017 on 20:04 - Jun 18 with 780 viewssolemio

14th July, 2017 on 21:33 - Jun 17 by ClareBlue

1. St Albans doesn't have a spire; it has a tower made almost entirely of bricks from the Roman town of Verulamium and is the largest 11th Century tower in Europe.

2. Clearly I meant which cathedral was built on the highest land above sea level. It has been the answer to a quiz question couched in the terms I used.

3. I'm sure you're a very nice man if you live in Clare, or woman if that is your name.
14th July, 2017 on 20:11 - Jun 18 with 771 viewssolemio

14th July, 2017 on 21:37 - Jun 17 by jeera

I was being nice.

He's an older chap and it doesn't matter if his information was a bit incorrect. It might mean something to him personally, like having helped build it or something, I don't know.

Not everything has to be picked apart.

Although he does tend to pick on my Xmas dinner threads most years so...

I may have to get young Ixy (aka Facters) to reprimand you for being ageist.

Yorkshire Pudding only if you're having beef or turkey. In fairness I always wish Marcus Trescothick a happy birthday on 25/12.

I am not 'older'. I am ancient/antique.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024