Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VPN's 08:48 - Jun 24 with 1283 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I know a few in here are clued up on and use VPN's, can anyone recommend one for me? I'm on Mac if that helps?

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

VPN's on 08:50 - Jun 24 with 1269 viewsvilanovablue

I use express VPN, it supports multiple devices including my Firestick and mobile.

It seems to work fine I've accessed iPlayer abroad...
VPN's on 09:29 - Jun 24 with 1231 viewsfactual_blue

NordVPN.

Again, multiple devices, Good three year deal.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

VPN's on 11:45 - Jun 24 with 1151 viewsflimflam

Private Internet Access (PIA)

About 30 quid a yr and up to 5 devices. Solid.

Dont go freeware as you get throttled to death.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

VPN's on 13:52 - Jun 24 with 1105 viewsvilanovablue

VPN's on 11:45 - Jun 24 by flimflam

The free/budget options are poor.For the sake a few quid a month it's worth paying extra.
VPN's on 14:17 - Jun 24 with 1078 viewsDanTheMan

VPN's on 13:52 - Jun 24 by vilanovablue

The free/budget options are poor.For the sake a few quid a month it's worth paying extra.

Also, if they are free, how are they making money?

Probably by selling your data. Wouldn't trust them at all.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

VPN's on 14:21 - Jun 24 with 1071 viewsjeera

VPN's on 14:17 - Jun 24 by DanTheMan

That concerns me, that a vpn can read your data. Is that something users should be worried about?

Whilst we're at it, would you think the same applies to free anti-virus etc, or are those more an enticer for the paid-up more comprehensive versions?

Also Dan, why are my laptops speakers not working?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

(No subject) (n/t) on 23:17 - Jun 25 with 966 viewsvilanovablue

VPN's on 23:40 - Jun 25 with 941 viewsflimflam

VPN's on 14:17 - Jun 24 by DanTheMan

Actually PIA is now 10 devices and also as others have pointed out they keep / store no traffic logs which other companies do so which would mean if your data is requested by any authority then using a VPN would have been pointless.

Login to get fewer ads

VPN's on 07:20 - Jun 26 with 872 viewsDanTheMan

VPN's on 23:40 - Jun 25 by flimflam

Actually PIA is now 10 devices and also as others have pointed out they keep / store no traffic logs which other companies do so which would mean if your data is requested by any authority then using a VPN would have been pointless.

PIA is a paid service.

VPN's on 07:23 - Jun 26 with 869 viewsDanTheMan

VPN's on 14:21 - Jun 24 by jeera

That concerns me, that a vpn can read your data. Is that something users should be worried about?

Whilst we're at it, would you think the same applies to free anti-virus etc, or are those more an enticer for the paid-up more comprehensive versions?

Also Dan, why are my laptops speakers not working?

"That concerns me, that a vpn can read your data. Is that something users should be worried about?"

You are putting a level of trust in the VPN provider that they won't sell on your data, or hand it over to others. Unfortunately there is no cast-iron guarantee you will get from these companies, it is a very much a community trust arrangement, which is why you see certain companies recommended more often.

You're correct on anti-virus software, they give you a minimal amount of protection to try and get you to upgrade to the expensive version. 99% of people do not need this.

As for your laptop speakers, I seem to recall reading that thread. Did you say that external speakers / headphones were working? I have a feeling I might know what it is because it's happened to two of my computers after the May Windows update.

VPN's on 08:14 - Jun 26 with 847 viewsflimflam

VPN's on 07:20 - Jun 26 by DanTheMan

PIA is a paid service.

I know it is and said so a few posts up?

(No subject) (n/t) on 14:01 - Jun 26 with 811 viewsvilanovablue

VPN's on 15:18 - Jun 26 with 786 viewsjeera

VPN's on 07:23 - Jun 26 by DanTheMan

"That concerns me, that a vpn can read your data. Is that something users should be worried about?"

You are putting a level of trust in the VPN provider that they won't sell on your data, or hand it over to others. Unfortunately there is no cast-iron guarantee you will get from these companies, it is a very much a community trust arrangement, which is why you see certain companies recommended more often.

You're correct on anti-virus software, they give you a minimal amount of protection to try and get you to upgrade to the expensive version. 99% of people do not need this.

As for your laptop speakers, I seem to recall reading that thread. Did you say that external speakers / headphones were working? I have a feeling I might know what it is because it's happened to two of my computers after the May Windows update.

Hi Dan.

Thanks for the reply.

As for speakers, yeah it's a bit weird as Bluetooth and jack plug connected headphones work ok.

But nothing over the speakers at all. I've had speakers go in the past but there's been signs of malfunction first. These were fine and then were not, which is why I can't see how it's a hardware issue.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 18:33]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024