Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Would it be fair to mention 03:31 - Nov 24 with 623 viewsMinneapolis_ITFC

Not one for new topics but since we're stopping by would it be fair to mention every team coach we have employed here since Joe Royle's departure in 2006 has failed.

By failed I mean hasn't met with expectation, has endured poor seasons after another, endured ridicule from the fanbase, has managed the club name to continued poor scores and seasons with no real end product. Apart from one year under McCarthy we have never really looked like making it back to the EPL, and even with those one and only play-off games with "them", we were well beaten.

I reel off names and figures starting with Jim Magilton, then guess it was (in order) Keane, Jewell, McCarthy, Lambert, Hurst and now Cook. Think I may have omitted someone out but can be kind of excused through all the disappointments and misadventure of the last 15 years although been with it just about every step of the way.

The last successful manager here was Royle, at least that's how I feel. OK we didn't make it back to the top league but had some real promising seasons at least. If we had beaten West Ham in either of those two play-off years who knows what might have been or what route the club may have taken but it's all hypothetical now.

Cook, now, and for me, despite all the changes made, i.e. new team, new owners - a whole lot of problems from before still persist. Can't always understand why every coach we have brought in since Sheepshanks was owner has just about failed to deliver and departs with a worse reputation than when they first came in. Cook will be no different, he's had ample time to get things going and the implements of a new team and ownership to propel things forward but seems destined to follow the path of names before him.

If they had said, or been told, back in 2006 that Ipswich Town Football Club would still not have made it back or not been once again a Premier League club - or indeed fallen into the third league of all things - 15 years later, I wouldn't have believed it. And to that I attribute primary culpability to every manager we have hired in that period of time.

Yes some of the players over the years must take their share of blame, and Marcus Evans had his involvement also, but the point here was the managers themselves and no-one else with it. After all, isn't it their duty to motivate, pick teams and formations and cajole the players they have into winning teams ? Bottom line, Cook 2021 and near every other appointment made in the time since highlighted, has failed or not met with expectation. The 'accomplishment' of both play and management have (near always) been largely sub-standard.
Would it be fair to mention on 04:56 - Nov 24 with 556 viewswkj

I think we have to amend this slightly - McCarthy didn't fail. He succeeded overall but stuck around too long. He was brought in to keep us in the division and did exactly that. However, his success came with a cost - and that was the fact many of the crowd started hating football.

Cook isn't exactly a bad manager, but he's bitten off more than he can chew with ITFC. A total club rebuild in one season with all but one senior player (that features regularly) surviving the chop? He's needing to build a squad, culture, and ethos in one preseason with a bunch of strangers.

I know other teams have recruited heavily and are doing considerably better, but those players were joining a team that had a hierarchy and culture that was already established. Does this mean that I think Cook should have more time? No, I don't. In my opinion, Cook should have gone at the first sign of trouble this season.

When people were posting 'Cook Out' last season I said I would tolerate him until the end of the season but not accept him needing time in the new year. The problem we have now though, is we have a squad who mostly adores Cook. Many saying they came here because of Cook. This could turn out to be a dressing room that would dominate any new manager that comes in. Also... who comes in now? I have run out of ideas here - as have most town fans when they seem to think WIlder and Howe would come to ITFC if approached.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 5:02]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Would it be fair to mention on 06:57 - Nov 24 with 480 viewsHerbivore

If you're saying McCarthy failed you'd also have to say Royle failed. In fact I'd argue Royle failed more, he had a very talented squad for a couple of years that was well capable of promotion. McCarthy largely had to work with scraps. Ultimately neither got us out of the second tier and both endured a poor ending to their time here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Would it be fair to mention on 07:28 - Nov 24 with 431 viewsblueconscience

Would it be fair to mention on 04:56 - Nov 24 by wkj

I think we have to amend this slightly - McCarthy didn't fail. He succeeded overall but stuck around too long. He was brought in to keep us in the division and did exactly that. However, his success came with a cost - and that was the fact many of the crowd started hating football.

Cook isn't exactly a bad manager, but he's bitten off more than he can chew with ITFC. A total club rebuild in one season with all but one senior player (that features regularly) surviving the chop? He's needing to build a squad, culture, and ethos in one preseason with a bunch of strangers.

I know other teams have recruited heavily and are doing considerably better, but those players were joining a team that had a hierarchy and culture that was already established. Does this mean that I think Cook should have more time? No, I don't. In my opinion, Cook should have gone at the first sign of trouble this season.

When people were posting 'Cook Out' last season I said I would tolerate him until the end of the season but not accept him needing time in the new year. The problem we have now though, is we have a squad who mostly adores Cook. Many saying they came here because of Cook. This could turn out to be a dressing room that would dominate any new manager that comes in. Also... who comes in now? I have run out of ideas here - as have most town fans when they seem to think WIlder and Howe would come to ITFC if approached.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 5:02]

Some of us don’t see mid to lower table mediocrity as success. Apart from the one freak season where we got to the play offs (thanks to Murphy), we really weren’t anything special under Mick McCarthy.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Would it be fair to mention on 07:32 - Nov 24 with 409 viewswkj

Would it be fair to mention on 07:28 - Nov 24 by blueconscience

Some of us don’t see mid to lower table mediocrity as success. Apart from the one freak season where we got to the play offs (thanks to Murphy), we really weren’t anything special under Mick McCarthy.

I am not a Mick McCarthy fan, not in the slightest - I need to make that known. I just know that he was given a lower threshold to success by Marcus Evans, and he achieved that. Our playoff season wasn't a fluke either - we actually played good footie for spells of that season until Mick got spooked and started playing the brand of footie that would have people turn on him.

Mick was a successful manager under Marcus Evans' terms - the fact that he didn't really back McCarthy to aim higher is hardly the fault of the manager.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Would it be fair to mention on 07:41 - Nov 24 with 367 viewsHighgateBlue

Would it be fair to mention on 07:28 - Nov 24 by blueconscience

Well the following season we only finished one place lower in 7th, so it was hardly a freak season.

If 7th in the Championship is so very bad, you must be spitting feathers with bottom half of division 3 on a huge budget. I know I am.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024