Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The omicron experience 14:25 - Dec 30 with 4188 viewsDubtractor

For those who are alarmed by the current covid numbers, I thought I'd share my experience with what I assume is omicron this week, to hopefully reassure that it probably isn't as nasty as some of what has come before. Obviously this is just my experience, and I'm double jabbed and in fairly good health to start with.

I've had 2 or 3 days of flu like symptoms, aching all over, headaches, sinuses screwed, annoying cough, occasional nausea, really damn tired, plus more regular than usual (you can work it out!).

Today I'm feeling a bit less crap, and its more like a heavy cold now, so I'm hoping that it improves from here.

Oh, and I've not lost my sense of taste either!

Mrs Dub had very similar symptoms and timeline to me.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, but it isn't as bad as earlier variants of the virus seem to have been.

Just to clarify, this isn't me trying to say that covid is no longer an issue, and I don't doubt that omicron could still be a very nasty virus indeed for some people, but this doesn't seem like the same virus that was going round last year. Which is just as well given the rapidness with which it is spreading.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The omicron experience on 23:50 - Dec 30 with 439 viewsStokieBlue

The omicron experience on 23:21 - Dec 30 by BanksterDebtSlave

My totally unscientific concern/question was specifically that if the virus is taking hold at the same time as the vaccine is promoting an antibody response the virus might find it easier to mutate around that response. All purely speculative.

It's a fair question.

However, the virus has already mutated around the antibody response to a very large degree.

The antibodies themselves aren't offering anything like the protection they did for Delta - AZ is less than 10%, Pfizer less than 20%.

Boosters are only working because they flood the body with so many antibodies that they overwhelm the virus rather than actually being able to accurately target and fight the virus.

There is of course scope for it to mutate even more to evade the antibody response but I've not read anything saying that an increase in antibodies via boosters would increase this chance. Given mutations are random, having more viral load in the population increases the chances of a random mutation which is beneficial to the virus with regards to immune response evasion.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

The omicron experience on 23:59 - Dec 30 with 402 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The omicron experience on 23:50 - Dec 30 by StokieBlue

It's a fair question.

However, the virus has already mutated around the antibody response to a very large degree.

The antibodies themselves aren't offering anything like the protection they did for Delta - AZ is less than 10%, Pfizer less than 20%.

Boosters are only working because they flood the body with so many antibodies that they overwhelm the virus rather than actually being able to accurately target and fight the virus.

There is of course scope for it to mutate even more to evade the antibody response but I've not read anything saying that an increase in antibodies via boosters would increase this chance. Given mutations are random, having more viral load in the population increases the chances of a random mutation which is beneficial to the virus with regards to immune response evasion.

SB

Ta for your thoughts.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024